Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Writers' Corner

Notices

Old 10-14-2012, 01:08 PM   #1
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Too dang many distibution licenses

So I have a book I'm putting together, I want to keep copyright myself, but I want it to be freely distributable provided it is not modified or sold for profit.

I've looked at several distribution licenses and none seem to cover that..I probably am just missing something.

Anyone?
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 01:42 PM   #2
Marseille
Guru
Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle
Did you try this: http://creativecommons.org/choose/

Lets you choose non comm and no mod, offers Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 3.0 Unported (CC BY-NC-ND 3.0)
Marseille is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-14-2012, 02:15 PM   #3
kennyc
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thanks David. I think that's what I'm looking for. Do you know/see any difference is stating that it is using that particular license or in just saying "Free to distribute but No Sales, No Modification" ?
Old 10-14-2012, 02:44 PM   #4
Marseille
Guru
Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I'm not sure I understand the question, but I just found that in a quick search, I don't have any experience with it.
Old 10-14-2012, 03:00 PM   #5
kennyc

That's exactly what I was looking for, and had seen it referenced in at least one google search.

My question really is whether to "License" it under that creative commons or to just simply say on the Copyright page those couple of things. I don't know that one gets much out of "Officially" releasing with links to that license. Dunno???

...but I'm trying to complete the assembly of this work today and will let everyone know when it's out there.
Advert
Old 10-14-2012, 04:08 PM   #6
Marseille
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyc View Post
My question really is whether to "License" it under that creative commons or to just simply say on the Copyright page those couple of things. I don't know that one gets much out of "Officially" releasing with links to that license. Dunno???
Ah. Good practical question. Do you value adherence to the terms of the license enough that you'd be willing to send out persuasive-looking takedown notices to those violating them? And/or do you anticipate much violation? If so, I'd say go the extra ... not so far and incorporate the CC license. If not, hard to see much benefit.

This is friendly, non-professional advice from an unpublished hack who doesn't know jack, so it might be best to do the opposite of whatever the above paragraph made you feel inclined to do.

Good luck on assembly! I hope to be doing some of that soon myself.
Old 10-14-2012, 04:11 PM   #7
kennyc

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Marseilles View Post
Ah. Good practical question. Do you value adherence to the terms of the license enough that you'd be willing to send out persuasive-looking takedown notices to those violating them? And/or do you anticipate much violation? If so, I'd say go the extra ... not so far and incorporate the CC license. If not, hard to see much benefit.

This is friendly, non-professional advice from an unpublished hack who doesn't know jack, so it might be best to do the opposite of whatever the above paragraph made you feel inclined to do.

Good luck on assembly! I hope to be doing some of that soon myself.

Still well reasoned and I thank you!
Old 10-14-2012, 08:12 PM   #8
VydorScope
Wizard
VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
I think it is Amanda that uses Creative Commons... not 100% but one of our regulars does. Find her and bug her.
VydorScope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 08:30 PM   #9
kennyc

Thanks!
Old 10-15-2012, 06:30 AM   #10
kennyc

Well I stuck the Creative Commons distribution link in the book and will go with that I guess.

Thanks Everyone!