Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 03-31-2010, 02:15 PM   #1
Over
Wizard
Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Samsung Galaxy Note Pro 12.2", OnePlus 6
Thumbs down Apple to Charge for iPad OS Upgrades After One Freebie

Apple to Charge for iPad OS Upgrades After One Freebie

iPad owners will receive one major OS upgrade for free, but subsequent OS upgrades will cost a fee, according to documentation posted by Apple.

Apple on Monday began seeding the Golden Master version of its iPhone OS 3.2 software development kit to developers, which will be the version of the OS that ships on the iPad, according to MacRumors’ Arnold Kim. Apple also posted the iPad licensing agreement to its server. A clause in the agreement reveals that iPad customers will get a free download of the major OS following the one that shipped with the product, and after that, subsequent major OS upgrades will come at a cost:

Apple will provide you any iPad OS software updates that it may release from time to time, up to and including the next major iPad OS software release following the version of iPad OS software that originally shipped from Apple on your iPad, for free. For example, if your iPad originally shipped with iPad 3.x software, Apple would provide you with any iPad OS software updates it might release up to and including the iPad 4.x software release. Such updates and releases may not necessarily include all of the new software features that Apple releases for newer iPad models.

That implies that for first-generation iPad customers, iPhone OS 4.0 will be a free download, but versions that follow — 5.0, 6.0 and so on, will cost a fee.

The iPad’s upgrade policy would fall in the middle of the upgrade policies for the iPhone and the iPod Touch. iPod Touch owners had to pay a $10 fee when they upgraded to iPhone OS 2.0 and iPhone OS 3.0. iPhone customers, however, receive OS upgrades for free. Apple has cited legal accounting requirements when explaining the reasoning behind the iPod Touch’s policy.

Source: Wired
Over is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2010, 02:18 PM   #2
rcuadro
Wizard
rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle DX
pft. Wait about 1 day after it is released and you will be able to find it online
rcuadro is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-31-2010, 08:23 PM   #3
Tamara
Evangelist
Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: iPhone
It's amazing how you're jumping the gun when Apple hasn't even announced anything official. You're just regurgitating what you read on the rumor mill.
Tamara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2010, 11:51 PM   #4
fizzwinkus
Rookie
fizzwinkus began at the beginning.

Device: Philips Nino500, Palm 500, Palm 3c, Palm Vx, PRS-505, PRS-600, iPad
the wording is from apple legalese that comes with the iphone 3.2 sdk or itunes 9.1.

the problem with reading into legalese is it's required to keep apple's options open. they're thinking about the future when iphone os releases are big enough to mirror mac os 10.x releases. i think that by the time they are thinking of actually doing something like this, the release will be big enough we won't think too much about paying for it.
fizzwinkus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2010, 11:38 PM   #5
Harmon
King of the Bongo Drums
Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Excelsior! (Strange...)
Quote:
Originally Posted by fizzwinkus View Post
the wording is from apple legalese that comes with the iphone 3.2 sdk or itunes 9.1.

the problem with reading into legalese is it's required to keep apple's options open. they're thinking about the future when iphone os releases are big enough to mirror mac os 10.x releases. i think that by the time they are thinking of actually doing something like this, the release will be big enough we won't think too much about paying for it.
I agree with that view, and will add to it that by the time that pay-for upgrade hits, there will also be an upgraded iPad, lighter weight, with a chat-oriented camera and a more robust battery. In that context, the cost of the pay-for upgrade will seem like a sensible alternative to a new iPad, not a price gouge.
Harmon is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-01-2010, 11:40 PM   #6
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
REally? I didn't read your site... but I know when Engadget reported this it was from a comment found in the SDK code rather than from a EULA.

BTW: iPod touch users have had to pay for every upgrade... they didn't even get one freebee.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2010, 02:35 AM   #7
fizzwinkus
Rookie

i... i have a site?
Old 04-02-2010, 02:40 AM   #8
Donnageddon
Now you lishen here...
Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650. Kobo Touch, Kindle Fire
Quote:
i... i have a site?
Phonetically speaking, yes.
Donnageddon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2010, 04:44 AM   #9
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
BTW: iPod touch users have had to pay for every upgrade... they didn't even get one freebee.

BOb
We get "bug fix" updates free, but we have to pay for "new feature" updates.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2010, 04:47 AM   #10
Gurvan
Groupie
Gurvan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gurvan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gurvan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gurvan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gurvan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gurvan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gurvan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gurvan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gurvan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gurvan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gurvan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: En Europe, mais pas loin des Etats-Unis et d'un grand groupe de hard-rock Allemand...
Device: iPhone 6+ and iPad 1 (love them both...)
Did I get Windows 7 for free after buying a Vista Machine ? No, so why accuse Apple of doing something wrong ??
Gurvan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2010, 06:12 AM   #11
fizzwinkus
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donnageddon View Post
Phonetically speaking, yes.
i didn't realize photos had so much to say about the ipad.
www.fizzwinkus.net
Old 04-02-2010, 09:28 AM   #12
mdovell
Zealot
mdovell could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.mdovell could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.mdovell could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.mdovell could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.mdovell could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.mdovell could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.mdovell could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.mdovell could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.mdovell could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.mdovell could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.mdovell could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

Device: Kindle DX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gurvan View Post
Did I get Windows 7 for free after buying a Vista Machine ? No, so why accuse Apple of doing something wrong ??
Well...here's the thing. It all depends as to what they plan with any upgrades from any company.

I'm still on XP but I mostly use ubuntu. I haven't "missed" out on anything since ms simply sells something that tries to do more but requires more memory and processing power.

Unless a company can sell benefits of an upgrade then it won't work well. In retrospect windows 95 was huge..98 not so much...me hardly...xp was big mostly because of the file system..

With apple it depends as to what changes they are planning...
mdovell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2010, 09:41 AM   #13
yvanleterrible
Reborn Paper User
yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone8, iPad Air
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdovell View Post
Well...here's the thing. It all depends as to what they plan with any upgrades from any company.

I'm still on XP but I mostly use ubuntu. I haven't "missed" out on anything since ms simply sells something that tries to do more but requires more memory and processing power.

Unless a company can sell benefits of an upgrade then it won't work well. In retrospect windows 95 was huge..98 not so much...me hardly...xp was big mostly because of the file system..

With apple it depends as to what changes they are planning...
Abolutely. In my "unbacked" opinion, the iPad will evolve away from the iPhone and iPod Touch in a big way. The achitecture of the hardware has enough power to support it so far, so why not take advantage of it?

Remember how the switch from system 9 to OSX was so radical? Well, the passage to the next iPad OS could be radical too, and that alone is worth paying for.
yvanleterrible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2010, 11:47 AM   #14
Gurvan
Groupie
Gurvan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gurvan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gurvan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gurvan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gurvan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gurvan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gurvan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gurvan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gurvan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gurvan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gurvan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: En Europe, mais pas loin des Etats-Unis et d'un grand groupe de hard-rock Allemand...
Device: iPhone 6+ and iPad 1 (love them both...)
But that is the point. You'll get the next MAJOR upgrade for free... That is still more than what other companies are doing...

Thus I don't see the point of criticizing Apple on that decision. That is one freebie that they did not have to give...
Gurvan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2010, 11:55 AM   #15
yvanleterrible
Reborn Paper User
yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone8, iPad Air
I see another point that might push Apple to charge for upgrades. The iPad is cheap!
yvanleterrible is offline   Reply With Quote