Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > PocketBook

Notices

Old 05-15-2011, 09:29 AM   #1
flib
flib began at the beginning.

Device: PB360+
PB360 eBook format

Hello. I'm wondering what kind of formats are best to use with the PocketBook 360 and where I can buy them.
Thanks!
flib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2011, 10:11 AM   #2
Poppaea
Lucifer's Bat
Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
AFAIK it reads everything but Amazon.
Poppaea is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-15-2011, 10:23 AM   #3
MmavisO
Seeker
MmavisO ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MmavisO ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MmavisO ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MmavisO ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MmavisO ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MmavisO ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MmavisO ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MmavisO ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MmavisO ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MmavisO ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MmavisO ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Asus TF, PB 360, Jetbook Lite
Epub works very well on the 360. It is the "standard" format at the moment, so you can get epub books at any bookstore except Amazon, who uses a form of mobi. If you use ADE, you can buy books from Sony and Barnes & Noble, Fictionwise, and many more. You can get public-domain books for free right here at MobileRead, and Project Gutenberg, and DRM-free books at Smashwords. There are loads of other sites, too. For me the biggest problem is finding time to read everything I find that I want to read.

The 360 will also read most formats as long as they are not DRM, but pdf does not work very well.

Just in case ADE and DRM make you say, "Huh? What?" ADE stands for Adobe Digital Editiions, and is software that lets you manage DRM'd epubs, downloading them from sellers, and transferring to your 360, etc. DRM is an anti-piracy "lock" that publishers use to dictate how you use your purchase. Both have been discussed extensively here, so I won't say any more than that. If you search here or Google, you will find all the information on ADE and DRM that you could ever want.
MmavisO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2011, 11:20 AM   #4
Farhad
Zealot
Farhad can extract oil from cheeseFarhad can extract oil from cheeseFarhad can extract oil from cheeseFarhad can extract oil from cheeseFarhad can extract oil from cheeseFarhad can extract oil from cheeseFarhad can extract oil from cheeseFarhad can extract oil from cheeseFarhad can extract oil from cheese

Device: N800/Nokia 5230/PB IQ701/PB 360
Quote:
Originally Posted by flib View Post
Hello. I'm wondering what kind of formats are best to use with the PocketBook 360 and where I can buy them.
Thanks!
FB2 is the best one as it open souce, safe, and allows you to configure anything you want including font (epub does not). Good old TXT is fine too. But the PB360 can reads all of these FB2, TXT, PDF (reflow), DJVU, RTF, HTML, PRC, PDB (PalmDoc), Plucker, CHM, EPUB, DOC, TCR,JPEG, BMP, PNG, TIFF

As to where to get the books, I would not bother with any vendors at all (if only because they don't use FB2). Just use a seach engine and chances are you will find anything and everything you want.

Remember - there is no such thing as piracy on the Internet.

Then use calibre to convert any of the following:

CBZ, CBR, CBC, CHM, EPUB, FB2, HTML, LIT, LRF, MOBI, ODT, PDF, PRC**, PDB, PML, RB, RTF, SNB, TCR, TXT

Info any of these:

EPUB, FB2, OEB, LIT, LRF, MOBI, PDB, PML, RB, PDF, SNB, TCR, TXT

HTH

Last edited by Farhad; 05-15-2011 at 11:26 AM.
Farhad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2011, 08:51 PM   #5
flib
flib began at the beginning.

Device: PB360+
Sound advice, thanks all!
flib is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-23-2011, 04:19 PM   #6
musicman2523
Groupie
musicman2523 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.musicman2523 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.musicman2523 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.musicman2523 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.musicman2523 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.musicman2523 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.musicman2523 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.musicman2523 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.musicman2523 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.musicman2523 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.musicman2523 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: pocketbook iq 701
epub. and you don't need to buy unless you want to.............lots of great indie books out there at smashwords etc etc for free.
but you can buy epubs most anywhere.
musicman2523 is offline   Reply With Quote