Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 01-26-2006, 04:47 AM   #1
Colin Dunstan
Is papyrophobic!
Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Dell Axim
Life after the CrackBerry

It doesn't look good for Research In Motion. On monday the U.S. Supreme Court refused to intervene in their messy patent dispute with NTP, making it more likely that the popular wireless e-mail and voice service could be shut down. While RIM has argued that an "exceptional public interest" is at stake in keeping its business functioning, I like to disagree. There're plenty of alternatives, which includes Palm whose line of Treo smartphones has always been a favorite among hard-core users. While the Palm Treo 700w doesn't deliver true "push" e-mail yet in the sense where the server notifies the device upon incoming e-mails, it offers all the other bells and whistles, such as a comprehensive productivity suite, direct access to Microsoft Exchange Server, one-handed context operations, and fast EVDO for high-speed data transfers. Palm shares were up 3.5 cents at the close of trading on NASDAQ yesterday.

If you are a BlackBerry user, how fast would you be willing to make the switch?
Colin Dunstan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2006, 10:22 AM   #2
rmeister0
Addict
rmeister0 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.rmeister0 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.rmeister0 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

The senior executive team at my company are all on Blackberry devices. At the president's insistence we also installed Blackberry Enterprise, which "integrates" (in a somewhat procrustean manner) with our Exchange server, so that their corporate e-mails are available to them on their Blackberry devices.

So for us, switching to another platform will be a major pain.

It has to be said that the Treo has a larger form factor than the Blackberrys we currently have deployed, and that will not make my customers happy. "Push" e-mail from the Exchange server was the "killer app" - if any competing product does not have it, than it is not a competing product.

There's a sick part of me that really wants to see RIM get shut down. If enough business and government customers get seriously inconvenienced by this, perhaps someone in authority will finally notice that the patent system is screwed up and try to do something about it. I doubt it, but hey - dreaming is free.
rmeister0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-26-2006, 01:46 PM   #3
sUnShInE
Drama Queen
sUnShInE is a marvel to beholdsUnShInE is a marvel to beholdsUnShInE is a marvel to beholdsUnShInE is a marvel to beholdsUnShInE is a marvel to beholdsUnShInE is a marvel to beholdsUnShInE is a marvel to beholdsUnShInE is a marvel to beholdsUnShInE is a marvel to beholdsUnShInE is a marvel to beholdsUnShInE is a marvel to behold

Device: Palm Tungsten T|T3
Yea, my workplace is in the same spot with the BES. While we haven't solidified our backup plan should RIM bite it, we'll probably move to a roll your fave flave PPC phone or Treo combo since 99% of our crackberry users have the phone models.

One of the articles I read recently on the Sundance Film Festival detailed how Hollyweirdos were running around town lamenting about how their lives will change if RIM goes down. Sad and funny, but true.

Idiots.
sUnShInE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2006, 01:55 PM   #4
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged
Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count here.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sUnShInE
Sad and funny, but true.

Idiots.
Hehehe! Love it
Alexander Turcic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2006, 02:41 PM   #5
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged
Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count here.
PalmAddicts links to a CNet article that lists various BlackBerry alternatives. Sure enough, the Treo is among them.
Alexander Turcic is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-26-2006, 09:12 PM   #6
cis4life
cis4life began at the beginning.

I hope that this don't go through, no blackberry... I shudder at the thought
cis4life is offline   Reply With Quote