Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 05-10-2009, 01:11 PM   #1
andavane
Zealot
andavane began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Keyboard, + Wifi, Kindle Paperwhite, Kobo Mini, Sony PRS-T2
Question Updating Ubuntu Calibre ~ Confused Again

I've installed Calibre a few times now, on different machines and with different distro-s; somehow I get confused every time, but I usually get there ~ somehow.

My habit has been though, not to install the updates, as I'm always confused on them.
Can someone point me to the place (am sure there is one!) which shows exactly how to install the updates. Another notice flashed up now, and I got confused all over again.

Thanks

John
andavane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2009, 07:35 AM   #2
smurphy
Connoisseur
smurphy has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.smurphy has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.smurphy has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: PRS-505
What do you call confused ? ~ is a shortcut for the Home-Directory of a user on Linux/Unix systems. So that's always at home.

To update my calibre under UBuntu, I just go by the defaults it provides me - nothing more. Just issue:
Code:
sudo python -c "import urllib2; exec urllib2.urlopen('http://calibre.kovidgoyal.net/download_linux_binary_installer').read(); main()"
on the command line - answer to the questions - and voila.
It just updates the code, not your eBook DB.
smurphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-12-2009, 07:28 AM   #3
andavane
Zealot
andavane began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Keyboard, + Wifi, Kindle Paperwhite, Kobo Mini, Sony PRS-T2
Quote:
Originally Posted by smurphy View Post
What do you call confused ? ~ is a shortcut for the Home-Directory of a user on Linux/Unix systems. So that's always at home.

To update my calibre under UBuntu, I just go by the defaults it provides me - nothing more. Just issue:
Code:
sudo python -c "import urllib2; exec urllib2.urlopen('http://calibre.kovidgoyal.net/download_linux_binary_installer').read(); main()"
on the command line - answer to the questions - and voila.
It just updates the code, not your eBook DB.
Well yes.
I entered that into the command line and it went and downloaded calibre all over again, extracted it and whatnot. I entered "y" and pressed enter.

That's it, is it?

mm yes?

Regards

john
PS: I thought it was just going to update, not download the entire thing again

Last edited by andavane; 05-12-2009 at 07:58 AM. Reason: added ps
andavane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2009, 03:18 AM   #4
smurphy
Connoisseur
smurphy has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.smurphy has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.smurphy has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by andavane View Post
Well yes.
I entered that into the command line and it went and downloaded calibre all over again, extracted it and whatnot. I entered "y" and pressed enter.

That's it, is it?

mm yes?

Regards

john
PS: I thought it was just going to update, not download the entire thing again
That's it.
The way it does it - is to get it all over again and replace the executable binaries, libraries etc. that are required for calibre to run.
it's easyer this way. If not - the system would have to first take a snapshot of your current installation, compare with the remote site, generate a diff, and download the parts that are required. Makes it way more complex.
smurphy is offline   Reply With Quote