Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > ePub

Notices

Old 06-10-2013, 03:39 AM   #1
roger64
Wizard
roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW3 (wifi)
Catalogue using background images

Hi

This puzzles me because I do not know how to reproduce it on a new EPUB.
http://webrealis.net/ebook/monLivre.epub

This is a link that has been already published on a MobileRead thread. It's an EPUB containing a catalogue advertising 40 fullscreen images. Each image is in the background and has some text overwritten. Mind, the text is not written within the image, it's just overwritten, which makes it very convenient when you wish to modify something on the text.

I had a look at the EPUB. All looks plain and sensible. However, hard as I try, I do not know how to modify and insert these kind of images as background in an EPUB and what's more surprising, I cannot find any clue in this EPUB itself. The image looks as usual, the style-sheet looks as usual.

Would a Sherlock Holmes have a look at it and provide a working solution, say using Sigil?
Where is the trick?

Last edited by roger64; 06-10-2013 at 04:32 AM.
roger64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 05:35 AM   #2
AlPe
Digital Amanuensis
AlPe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlPe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlPe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlPe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlPe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlPe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlPe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlPe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlPe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlPe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlPe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Several eReaders and tablets
I guess the "trick" you look for is due to the following two CSS declarations:

Code:
div.fr2 {float:none;height:0cm;text-align:left}
img.imgChant {float:none;width:auto}
AlPe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-10-2013, 06:01 AM   #3
roger64
Wizard
roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlPe View Post
I guess the "trick" you look for is due to the following two CSS declarations:

Code:
div.fr2 {float:none;height:0cm;text-align:left}
img.imgChant {float:none;width:auto}
Thanks for looking at this.

I spotted them indeed. But I could not reproduce an EPUB with background images using these two above classes. What happened was that the text was displayed not over the image but after it. Why a plain {float:none} would make an image stand in the background?

EDIT: Doh! maybe it's the underestimated - by me - height:0, which did this?
I try again. Failed.
Attached Files
File Type: epub Background.epub (123.5 KB, 300 views)

Last edited by roger64; 06-10-2013 at 06:13 AM.
Old 06-10-2013, 07:42 AM   #4
AlPe
Digital Amanuensis
AlPe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlPe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlPe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlPe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlPe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlPe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlPe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlPe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlPe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlPe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlPe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Please observe that, in the EPUB file you attached, the XHTML file does not have the CSS inclusion, just a @page directive. Add it and see the result.

EDIT: for clarity, add:

Code:
<link href="../Styles/Style0001.css" type="text/css" charset="UTF-8" rel="stylesheet"/>
in the <head> of Section0001.xhtml.
Old 06-10-2013, 08:30 AM   #5
roger64
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlPe View Post
Please observe that, in the EPUB file you attached, the XHTML file does not have the CSS inclusion, just a @page directive. Add it and see the result.

EDIT: for clarity, add:

Code:
<link href="../Styles/Style0001.css" type="text/css" charset="UTF-8" rel="stylesheet"/>
in the <head> of Section0001.xhtml.
Shame on me
Soooooo Eeeeeaaaaassssyyyyy!!!

It's now OK. Thanks a lot. Indeed this seems quite a trivial task to do.

EDIT: it displays well on Sigil, with calibre ebook-viewer, but NOT in ADE 1.7. Aaarg!
The reference catalogue (monLivre), on the contrary, displays well with ADE 1.7. There must be a small hitch somewhere.
Attached Files
File Type: epub Background-corrected.epub (123.5 KB, 248 views)

Last edited by roger64; 06-10-2013 at 08:47 AM.
Advert
Old 06-10-2013, 08:34 AM   #6
AlPe
Digital Amanuensis

Sure, no problem.

Try using SVG instead of that XHTML+CSS combination.
Old 06-10-2013, 08:56 AM   #7
roger64
Wizard

This last one is finally good also on ADE 1.7

I put it for the record. I will also try with a SVG wrapper. Thanks again.
Attached Files
File Type: epub Background-corrected2.epub (123.4 KB, 326 views)
Old 06-10-2013, 09:23 AM   #8
virg
virg began at the beginning.

Device: none
Hello,

I explained the solution I found for this using of pictures (the first vesion of this catalogue) : you don't have to do your picture at the top of your page : https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=212210 in the second paragraphe.
I used the amanuensis manual to integrate pictures and text in the same place.
It's not a real background image
I don't try to use background-image in css.

Bye
virg is offline   Reply With Quote