Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 10-06-2010, 09:20 AM   #1
haegar333
haegar333 began at the beginning.

Device: Be-Book
Calibre Perfomance on Mac OSX

Hi
I am using Calibre on OSX 10.5 and the general performance and speed is rather low. In particular the Epub Viewer is very sluggish.

Is this a general observation or is something wrong with my configuration? I notice that Calibre includes its own frameworks including Python. Would it be possible (and useful) to convince Calibre to use the already installed OSX Frameworks?
haegar333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2010, 10:40 AM   #2
Manichean
Wizard
Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.

Device: Cybook Gen3
There just was a similar discussion in this thread, where some of the developers shared some of the reasons why Calibre is the speed it is. As for the framework, if you're referring to Qt, that's for easier cross- platform development, I believe.
Manichean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2010, 07:15 PM   #3
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by haegar333 View Post
I am using Calibre on OSX 10.5 and the general performance and speed is rather low. In particular the Epub Viewer is very sluggish.
This is odd I find the epub viewer the most responsive of the group.

What version of calibre are you running?
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2010, 08:06 PM   #4
rcuadro
Wizard
rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle DX
I have the same problem
rcuadro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2010, 10:12 PM   #5
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
I recall someone, probably Valloric saying that the performance of Qt WebKit on OS X is very poor (Qt WebKit is the html rendering engine the viewer uses).
kovidgoyal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2010, 10:26 PM   #6
ldolse
Wizard
ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.

Device: PRS-650, iPhone
QT Webkit is horrible on OS X - didn't realize it was better on the other platforms though. Really hoping Nokia resolved this with 4.7... (more for Sigil than Calibre)

You can configure ADE to be your default epub viewer and tell calibre not to use it's own viewer for epubs.
ldolse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2010, 11:02 PM   #7
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ldolse View Post
QT Webkit is horrible on OS X - didn't realize it was better on the other platforms though.
I don't know QT Webkit from adam but on my Windows XP machine a ePub opens in the viewer in about 2 seconds.

Quote:
You can configure ADE to be your default epub viewer and tell calibre not to use it's own viewer for epubs.
This is a great alternative for folks that have difficulty with calibre's viewer.
Old 10-06-2010, 11:50 PM   #8
ldolse
Wizard
ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwanthny View Post
I don't know QT Webkit from adam but on my Windows XP machine a ePub opens in the viewer in about 2 seconds.
It's probably 10-30 seconds per flow on OS X. If the file isn't split it could be a LOT longer.
Old 10-07-2010, 12:04 AM   #9
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired

Quote:
It's probably 10-30 seconds per flow on OS X. If the file isn't split it could be a LOT longer.
Interesting, this is what I see when I open a lit file in the viewer.
Old 10-07-2010, 12:57 AM   #10
ldolse
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwanthny View Post
Interesting, this is what I see when I open a lit file in the viewer.
My understanding is that for anything other than epub, Calibre converts the source to epub (or maybe oeb) before presenting it in the viewer. So that's to be expected across all platforms. On the mac you'll see the conversion delay plus the previously discussed delay.
Old 10-07-2010, 08:49 AM   #11
haegar333
haegar333 began at the beginning.

Device: Be-Book
Webkit

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
I recall someone, probably Valloric saying that the performance of Qt WebKit on OS X is very poor (Qt WebKit is the html rendering engine the viewer uses).
I am not aware of Qt (Qt=Quicktime?) Webkit but the "OSX Webkit" is the basis for all HTML rendering with Safari and other Browsers (like OmniWeb) This is absolutely fine on my system. However does Calibre uses its own webkit enginge and not using the Safari version? That might be an explanaition.

I am using the latest Calibre Version with OSX 10.5.10

I also dont have problems with a slow start, its mostly the epuB viewer which takes 20-30 seconds to render a page...

Adobe DE as alternative? Maybe, but there is the hazzle with registration and potential Adobe spyware...
haegar333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2010, 09:03 AM   #12
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired

Quote:
Quote:
I am not aware of Qt (Qt=Quicktime?) Webkit but the "OSX Webkit" is the basis for all HTML rendering with Safari and other Browsers (like OmniWeb) This is absolutely fine on my system. However does Calibre uses its own webkit enginge and not using the Safari version? That might be an explanaition.
I guess Kovid's response that I put in bold above slipped pass your attention the first time you read it. Qt WebKit is an open source web browser engine.

Quote:
I also dont have problems with a slow start, its mostly the epuB viewer which takes 20-30 seconds to render a page...
ldolse and Kovid already explained this as QT Webkit being horrible on OS X, which interprets to if you continue to use calibre's viewer this is something you'll have to live with.

Quote:
Adobe DE as alternative? Maybe, but there is the hazzle with registration and potential Adobe spyware...
Only you can weigh the pros and cons of switching to another epub viewer.
Old 10-07-2010, 09:16 AM   #13
Starson17
Wizard
Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: WinMo: IPAQ; Android: HTC HD2, Archos 7o; Java:Gravity T
Quote:
I am not aware of Qt (Qt=Quicktime?) Webkit
Qt is a cross-platform application and UI framework. It's what allows Calibre to run on three supported OSs with a consistent interface.
Starson17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2010, 07:26 PM   #14
Valloric
Created Sigil, FlightCrew
Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD
Quote:
Oh yes. Oh bloody hell yes, it's damn slow.

But I can tell you that with Qt 4.7 on Windows I measured a 400% improvement in rendering speed compared to Qt 4.6. Some Mac users who have tried Sigil 0.3.0RC (which uses Qt 4.7) have reported massive gains on Mac as well.

Sure, some of those gains come from Sigil itself, but I think it's mostly QtWebkit 2.0 in Qt 4.7. The 400% on Windows figure I got from tests separate from Sigil.

Last edited by Valloric; 10-08-2010 at 07:31 PM.
Valloric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2010, 08:48 PM   #15
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Good to know. calibre wont be switching to Qt 4.7 for at least another month, but when it does, it should be a big speed boost for the viewer.
kovidgoyal is online now   Reply With Quote