Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 10-18-2013, 11:35 AM   #1
comm
comm began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Wi-Fi, 6" Display, v 4.0.1
How remotely add e-books to Kindle Wi-Fi

Hello!

Sorry for nativity, so far I haven't found good solution to address my problem.

Problem: I wonder what is the best way to transfer e-book remotely by Wi-Fi to Kindle (I don't need sync, I just tend to copy a lot of pdfs to Kindle frequently, therefore I am looking for a simple way to copy pdf to Kindle).

The following is the list of attempts/questions I have:

1. actually standard Amazon solution email-to-kindle could work well, however I noticed that people don't like to use Amazon services, the question what is what the reason not to using the standard email-to-Kindle, I didn't try to register my Kindle, and I am afraid of doing so I am not sure whether the procedure is reversible.

2. I tried to open pdf from Public directory of Dropbox, however Kindle's browser doesn't allow to download pdf. I found old topic about the hack how to do so, if there are any recent attempt to cause to Kindle download pdf.

3. I am not sure whether I need to apply jailbrake, what I found is that jailbrake allows you to install some stuff like screensaver, fonts, etc. in my opinion useless stuff I need only remotely copy pdfs to Kindle. Do I really need to install jailbrake?

Sorry for basic question, I just failed to summarize information from different years and different version.
comm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2013, 12:06 PM   #2
jswinden
Nameless Being

I can answer #1: You can register or unregister a Kindle without much effort.
Advert
Old 10-18-2013, 01:59 PM   #3
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
It has always baffled me as to why the browser won't download PDFs. I have not learned of any jailbreak solution that works around this. Of course you can use Send To Kindle to send PDF wirelessly, if the Kindle is registered to an Amazon account.

I don't share concerns about using Amazon services, they just seem so obviously convenient compared to the alternatives, so I can't answer for those people who do. Note that there is an option (with Send To Kindle desktop app) to 'send only' and not store the file in cloud.
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2013, 08:33 AM   #4
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
*swoops in* sshfs! *swoops out*

We do know it works more or less properly with 3rd party readers, I haven't checked how the catalog/indexer handled things over sshfs when mounting somewhere inside [/mnt/us/]documents/. Probably needs some trickery to survive an USBMS session.

And I'm leaving out the obvious, more manual solutions of scp/sftp/rsync stuff remotely, which have worked since pretty much forever (even better since FW 5.x because it catches new stuff popping up all on its own).

Last edited by NiLuJe; 10-19-2013 at 08:37 AM.
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2013, 11:38 AM   #5
SquiddOhio
Connoisseur
SquiddOhio inspires wonder wherever he or she goes.SquiddOhio inspires wonder wherever he or she goes.SquiddOhio inspires wonder wherever he or she goes.SquiddOhio inspires wonder wherever he or she goes.SquiddOhio inspires wonder wherever he or she goes.SquiddOhio inspires wonder wherever he or she goes.SquiddOhio inspires wonder wherever he or she goes.SquiddOhio inspires wonder wherever he or she goes.SquiddOhio inspires wonder wherever he or she goes.SquiddOhio inspires wonder wherever he or she goes.SquiddOhio inspires wonder wherever he or she goes.

Device: Kindle Touch
Dear Comm:
1. Register the Kindle. It's quick, painless, reversible and does not harm small animals. It will also allow you to use "collections" which you will want to do. Also, I don't think you can get a kindle email address any other way.
2. It's jailbreak, not jailbrake. The jail is not going too fast. Avoid using these programs, unless you really need something unusual that they provide, which I don't think you do.
3. You don't have a "problem." There is no difficulty in transferring books to a Kindle wirelessly - it is designed to do this, and probably 95% of all Kindle users add books to their Kindle this way.
4. You can also just plug the Kindle into the computer and drag them over, or use Calibre for a more elegant way to move documents from your computer to your Kindle over the usb cable.
5. Where did you "notice" that "some people" do not like to use Amazon services? You should reevaluate your decision making protocol. Live dangerously and use it sometime your own self. Report back to us here on your experiences.
6. Look up "run-on sentence" and try not to do it so much.
7. In summary: register it and send your docs via wi-fi.
8. Of course, I could be wrong.
SquiddOhio is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-19-2013, 11:56 AM   #6
Ian.M
Connoisseur
Ian.M will blow your mind, man!Ian.M will blow your mind, man!Ian.M will blow your mind, man!Ian.M will blow your mind, man!Ian.M will blow your mind, man!Ian.M will blow your mind, man!Ian.M will blow your mind, man!Ian.M will blow your mind, man!Ian.M will blow your mind, man!Ian.M will blow your mind, man!Ian.M will blow your mind, man!

Device: Kindle 3 GB 3G
There is no need whatsoever to give Amazon any credit card details or anything like that when you register your Kindle, but obviously without payment details you cant buy books from Amazon or use any other non-free services.
Ian.M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2013, 12:03 PM   #7
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast
ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle1, Kindle DX Graphite, K3 3G, IPad 3, PW2
There are plenty of folks who choose not to register their ereaders. It is a personal choice.
ProfCrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2013, 06:11 PM   #8
Ian.M
Connoisseur
Ian.M will blow your mind, man!Ian.M will blow your mind, man!Ian.M will blow your mind, man!Ian.M will blow your mind, man!Ian.M will blow your mind, man!Ian.M will blow your mind, man!Ian.M will blow your mind, man!Ian.M will blow your mind, man!Ian.M will blow your mind, man!Ian.M will blow your mind, man!Ian.M will blow your mind, man!

Device: Kindle 3 GB 3G
As I have approximately 300 books on my K3, I find the slight loss of privacy is an acceptable tradeoff to enable the Collections feature. YMMV.
Ian.M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2013, 08:56 PM   #9
BeeTee-Ess
Addict
BeeTee-Ess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeeTee-Ess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeeTee-Ess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeeTee-Ess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeeTee-Ess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeeTee-Ess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeeTee-Ess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeeTee-Ess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeeTee-Ess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeeTee-Ess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeeTee-Ess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, K4NT, KPW2, Voyage, iP4, iP6, iPad Mini, HP TouchPad, Kobo Mini
I have very few Amazon books in my elibrary, but I cannot think of a good reason not to register my Kindles.
BeeTee-Ess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2013, 10:41 PM   #10
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast
ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle1, Kindle DX Graphite, K3 3G, IPad 3, PW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeeTee-Ess View Post
I have very few Amazon books in my elibrary, but I cannot think of a good reason not to register my Kindles.
Good for you. Others choose not to. Who cares?
ProfCrash is offline   Reply With Quote