Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Conversion

Notices

Old 10-30-2016, 01:36 PM   #1
BKh
Zealot
BKh can extract oil from cheeseBKh can extract oil from cheeseBKh can extract oil from cheeseBKh can extract oil from cheeseBKh can extract oil from cheeseBKh can extract oil from cheeseBKh can extract oil from cheeseBKh can extract oil from cheese

Device: Kindle
epub to azw3 Table of Contents flattens

I have an epub that I created in Sigil and I am converting it to azw3. When I do this, the css for the hard coded table of contents gets changed so that what should be indented subheadings becomes a "flat" list.

In this folder I have placed the original epub, the converted azw3, the conversion log, a screen shot of the output options, text files of just the html table of contents for the epub and azw3:

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/dnprfnbvf...dAu3hAeCa?dl=0

I have also included screen shots of the table of contents from each version.

Note, I originally used the css Sigil created for the toc, but the converted to azw3 results were the same. So then I added the indents as hard coded styles in each paragraph. That I what I have given here.

Thanks for reading, and please let me know if you need any other information.
BKh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2016, 02:58 PM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Use the "Do not add Table of Contents to book" option in the azw3 output section of the conversion dialog.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-30-2016, 03:32 PM   #3
BKh
Zealot
BKh can extract oil from cheeseBKh can extract oil from cheeseBKh can extract oil from cheeseBKh can extract oil from cheeseBKh can extract oil from cheeseBKh can extract oil from cheeseBKh can extract oil from cheeseBKh can extract oil from cheese

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
Use the "Do not add Table of Contents to book" option in the azw3 output section of the conversion dialog.
I did. See the screen shot I included with the original post:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/2ut3mw85wu...tions.jpg?dl=0

Sorry I didn't mention that explicitly in my OP.

Am I missing something?

Last edited by BKh; 10-30-2016 at 03:56 PM. Reason: clarification
Old 10-30-2016, 11:39 PM   #4
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Your HTML ToC is not marked as a ToC in the OPF. You need to create a guide entry for it. And remove the two spurious Table of Contents entries in the ncx.
Old 10-31-2016, 03:19 PM   #5
BKh
Zealot

Dear Kovid,

Thanks for your help. I believe I have corrected the html toc to be listed in the guide section in the OPF
Code:
<guide>
    <reference href="Text/Rights.xhtml" title="Copyright Page" type="copyright-page"></reference>
    <reference href="Text/Title.xhtml" title="Text" type="text"></reference>
    <reference href="Text/Cover.xhtml" title="Cover" type="cover"></reference>
    <reference href="Text/TOC.xhtml" title="Table of Content" type="toc"></reference>
  </guide>
I don't see spurious Table of Contents entries in the ncx, but I'm not exactly sure what they would be, so . I should note that there are chapters in the book that have their own tables of contents, and their entries in the real table of contents contains the words "table of contents", but that shouldn't have anything to do with this.

(Side note: The Edit Book feature is AWESOME! Thank you)

So here is a part of the TOC.html file in the epub
Code:
<div class="sgc-toc-level-2">
  <a href="../Text/numerical-discourses-book-threes-fool.html">I. The Fool</a>
<div class="sgc-toc-level-3">
  <a href="../Text/numerical-discourses-book-threes-fool.html#sigil_toc_id_1">3:1 (1) Peril</a>
</div>
<div class="sgc-toc-level-3">
  <a href="../Text/numerical-discourses-book-threes-fool.html#sigil_toc_id_2">3:2 (2) Characteristics</a>
</div>
And here is the same part in the azw3:
Code:
<div class="sgc-toc-level1">
  <a href="part0007.html#6LJU1-b6266d1d9bb1475c93532ee14823c3f2">I. The Fool</a>
  <a href="part0007.html#sigil_toc_id_1">3:1 (1) Peril</a>
</div>
  <a href="part0007.html#sigil_toc_id_2">3:2 (2) Characteristics</a>
</div>
You can see that the sgc-toc-level-2 and sgc-toc-level-3 have both been changed to sgc-toc-level1

I guess what I keep not understanding is why the TOC.html file would be treated any different from the other html files since I already have the toc.ncx.

Thank you so much for your help and all the work you do with Calibre.

I have put the new files here along with the job record
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/dnprfnbvf...dAu3hAeCa?dl=0
Advert
Old 10-31-2016, 11:02 PM   #6
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

The spurious toc entries in the ncx are entries that point to incorrect locations in the book. Run the Check Book tool in the editor which will find at leat one of them. And turn off the option in the conversion dialog structure detection to remove fake margins.

Tags
azw3, conversion