Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Conversion

Notices

Old 10-11-2016, 11:38 PM   #1
DerMusensohn
DerMusensohn began at the beginning.

Device: Paperwhite
Convert AZW3 Sheet Music to usable format

I'm trying to find a way to convert sheet music in AZW3 format to PDF or some format that will allow me to write notes on the file. The problem is that the music itself seems to be an embedded image. I have tried converting to PDF, RTF, and HTML. When I print the image it is blurry. This may just be a problem at the source rather than something that can be overcome. I just wondered if anyone has found a solution.

Thanks for the help.
DerMusensohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2016, 08:48 AM   #2
drjenkins
Addict
drjenkins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjenkins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjenkins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjenkins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjenkins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjenkins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjenkins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjenkins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjenkins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjenkins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjenkins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Converting to PDF or "some other format" will still have images of the sheet music.

Perhaps what you need is a sheet music OCR system, like Audiveris.

https://audiveris.kenai.com/
Quote:
Audiveris is an open-source Optical Music Recognition software which processes the image of a music sheet to automatically provide symbolic music information in MusicXML standard.
drjenkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-12-2016, 12:33 PM   #3
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
What is your default output device? You probably want to use Tablet to avoid any resizing of images
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2016, 01:01 PM   #4
ApK
Award-Winning Participant
ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
You can annotate notes over an image, if that's all you want to do.

If you can use Calibre to extract the the images, or to convert it into a readable PDF, then there are lots of apps that will let you make visible annotations of various sorts, including pen/stylus freehand markup.

I'll send you a PM.
ApK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2016, 02:09 PM   #5
drjenkins
Addict
drjenkins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjenkins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjenkins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjenkins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjenkins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjenkins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjenkins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjenkins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjenkins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjenkins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjenkins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
You can use the plugin KindleUnpack to extract the images without changing them.
drjenkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-12-2016, 02:51 PM   #6
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterT View Post
What is your default output device? You probably want to use Tablet to avoid any resizing of images
which you can do at convert time in Page Setup, viz:

Click image for larger version

Name:	1.jpg
Views:	181
Size:	121.2 KB
ID:	152326

BR
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2016, 10:00 PM   #7
DerMusensohn
DerMusensohn began at the beginning.

Device: Paperwhite
Thank you everyone for the help. I want to be able to read the music on several devices. What I'm running into is that the larger the screen the blurrier the image. I'll have to come up with a different solution. Thanks.
DerMusensohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2016, 10:35 AM   #8
dwig
Wizard
dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Current:Surface Go & Kindle 3 - Retired: DellV8p, Clie UX50, ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by DerMusensohn View Post
Thank you everyone for the help. I want to be able to read the music on several devices. What I'm running into is that the larger the screen the blurrier the image. I'll have to come up with a different solution. Thanks.
No matter what you try, you'll be limited by the resolution of the images in the original file.

I would recommend uppacking the original AZW3 to get the original images unaltered. I would then us a good image editing program (e.g. Adobe Photoshop, ...) to reprocess the images (contrast, noise reduction, upsampling, sharpening, ...) to achieve the best possible results at larger sizes. These reprocessed images would then be used to build new documents (PDF, ...), comics (CBZ, CBR) or ebooks (ePub, AZW3, ...), being careful not to reprocess the images again in the document/ebook creation.
dwig is offline   Reply With Quote