Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations > Book Clubs

Notices

View Poll Results: Which award winning book shall we read for April?
Murphy by Samuel Beckett 3 13.64%
Red Mars by Kim Stanley Robinson 10 45.45%
Voices of Protest: Huey Long, Father Coughlan and the Great Depression by Alan Brinkley 4 18.18%
A Cold Day for Murder by Dana Stabenow 7 31.82%
The Three-Body Problem by Cixin Liu 9 40.91%
Hominids (Neanderthal Parallax Book 1) by Robert J. Sawyer 4 18.18%
The White Tiger by Aravind Adiga 5 22.73%
The Long Quiche Goodbye by Avery Aames 6 27.27%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 22. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-18-2016, 09:07 AM   #31
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by WT Sharpe View Post
Roughly the same here (62%). Yesterday I decided to put two non-fiction books I'm reading on hold so I can finish in time for the discussion. 564 pages total in this book.
522 ADE pages here.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2016, 09:17 AM   #32
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
Quote:
Roughly the same here (62%). Yesterday I decided to put two non-fiction books I'm reading on hold so I can finish in time for the discussion. 584 pages total in this book.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
522 ADE pages here.
Amazon says that 584 pages reflects the fact that the ebook "Contains real page numbers based on the print edition." The print edition contains 519 pages (hardcover).

Last edited by WT Sharpe; 04-18-2016 at 02:04 PM.
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-18-2016, 11:39 AM   #33
Dazrin
Wizard
Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, various Android devices
I finished last week, the last third of the book really seemed to pick up for me.
Dazrin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2016, 02:10 PM   #34
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

BTW, the paperback at Barnes & Noble lists 592 pages. Lots of variation depending on the format.
Old 04-19-2016, 05:57 AM   #35
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Amazon says that 584 pages reflects the fact that the ebook "Contains real page numbers based on the print edition." The print edition contains 519 pages (hardcover).
I'll stick with ADE page numbers. I'm a lot more used to them then some arbitrary pBook editions page numbers. When reading an eBook, pBook page numbers are somewhat useless (IMHO).
Advert
Old 04-19-2016, 08:38 AM   #36
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!

I'm now at 77% with 15 hours before I post the discussion thread.
Old 04-19-2016, 01:57 PM   #37
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis (Gen3),Paperwhite (Gen10), Voyage, Paperwhite(orig), Fire HD 8
Gaack. I'm only at about 25%. Other things were more interesting, and I kept putting it off. Sigh. (This IS the problem with longish books, as we have noted before. But seem to forget when it's voting time. )
CRussel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2016, 02:52 PM   #38
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRussel View Post
Gaack. I'm only at about 25%. Other things were more interesting, and I kept putting it off. Sigh. (This IS the problem with longish books, as we have noted before. But seem to forget when it's voting time. )
Starting with the nomination thread to be posted at midnight I'm planning to add number of pages info to all fully nominated books. I won't promise to do it every month, but this month is a test run to see how time-consuming it would be.

BTW, I'm at 83% now.
Old 04-19-2016, 05:13 PM   #39
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

This is definitely something those of us nominating can also help out with. Just as we (should) include at least a couple of sources for the book and a short description, adding the # of pages would be a good thing. And, IMHO, adding the cost would also be good. It makes it a lot easier for the rest of us to make an informed decision.
Old 04-20-2016, 08:24 AM   #40
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

What source is going to be used for the page count? Remember, ADE pages are different than Kindle pages (if there are any) are different than hardcover pages are different than trade paperback pages are different than mass market paperback pages are different than iBooks pages and are different than kepub pages.
Old 04-20-2016, 09:05 AM   #41
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!

Since every format is different, I'm not going to be picky with what numbers others provide. I plan to go with Amazon's "print length".
Old 04-20-2016, 11:27 AM   #42
CRussel
(he/him/his)

Makes sense, Tom. The exact number isn't important for our purposes. What we need is a close enough figure to understand how long it's going to take to read the book. Do we care if a book is "530 pages" or "545 pages"? No. But we do care if one book is 545 pages and another is 350. (And how DID you all manage to read Outlander at some 1100 pages in the time available?)
Old 04-20-2016, 11:36 AM   #43
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

I have a better idea which I just implemented. When we make a nomination, we can put in the page number. It doesn't take long at all do look up the current print edition's page number.

Last edited by JSWolf; 04-20-2016 at 11:39 AM.
Old 07-14-2016, 06:58 PM   #44
Dazrin
Wizard
Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, various Android devices
Since The Three-Body Problem is in the runner-up list for January I thought it would be good to share a way to get it for FREE from Tor's ebook of the month club for anyone in the US or Canada. Only available till July 17.

Grab it now in case it wins in January! This is an excellent book even if it doesn't win.
Dazrin is offline   Reply With Quote