Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 06-02-2012, 09:22 PM   #1
geekmaster
Carpe diem, c'est la vie.
geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1 to PW3
Arrow Kindle Developer's Corner Master Index (aka. Where Do I Start?)

Looking for "Special Offers Removal" or "3G Tethering"?
Please read this first:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=200942

First: You should be able to tell exactly which kind of Kindle you have, both because that's a key information anyway, but also to familiarize yourself with the keywords & nicknames we employ, which will help you tell at first glance if something applies to your device (via the forum prefixes for instance). To help you in this endeavor, take a look at this wiki page, which will explain how to easily identify your Kindle model, and provides a list of all currently known Kindle devices .

UPDATE: Let's continue putting links to some of the best posts in this forum in the applicable wiki index pages! This should become MUCH better than what search engines can provide.

Forum Indexes by Topic:

Prefix Index : Kindle Master Index

HowTo : Kindle HowTo Index

K2 : Kindle 2 Index

K3 : Kindle 3 (Keyboard) Index

DX(G) : Kindle DX (White) and DXG (Graphite) Index

K4 : Kindle 4 (Mini) Index

K5 : Kindle 5 (Touch) Index [may also serve as a general category, referring to the FW 5.x family in general: Touch, PaperWhite 1 (PW1), PaperWhite 2 (PW2), Kindle Basic (KT2) & Kindle Voyage (KV)]

PW2 : Kindle PaperWhite 2 Index

KT2 : Kindle Basic Index

KV : Kindle Voyage Index

Hardware : Kindle Hardware mods Index

Tools : Kindle Tools and Utilities Index

Kindlet : Kindle Java app (Kindlet) Index

WAF : Kindle WAF (HTML/JavaScript apps) Index

Native : Kindle Native mode (standalone scripts and C programs) Index

Major Forum Threads:

DEBRICKING:

JAILBREAK:

LAUNCHER:

APPLICATIONS AND "HACKS":

UTILITY AND RESOURCES:

ALTERNATE OPERATING SYSTEM:

NOTES:

The indexes are saved as wiki pages so that anybody can add a link to them in a (hopefully) organized fashion (sorted by keyword, like a book index).

We may want to ALSO add a table of contents to the TOP of those index pages, for the most important items sorted by topic. We will add definitions of these words, and we will provide thumbnail images and/or icons for them as well. We are working on making these forum prefix tags too, like the prefixes used in the parent forum. UPDATE: All completed. Thanks!

This should help make the Kindle Developer's Corner forum a better organized and easier to use place, for beginners and old-timers alike.

Last edited by NiLuJe; 01-12-2020 at 12:32 AM. Reason: Add a link to the 5.6.5 JB ;)
geekmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2012, 09:23 PM   #2
geekmaster
geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

My plans are for this thread to become a sticky, to provide links to INDEX pages organized by kindle model and by major topic.

Those index pages are to be contained in wiki pages that anybody can update, so that no single person is tasked with long-term maintenance of a sticky thread first post.

This sticky will eventually stabilize and need little maintenance, with the wiki pages containing all the new content.

I will add some links to this post in the next few days, pointing to model and topic wiki INDEX pages that contain a list of links to threads and posts (subthreads within a thread) in this forum. The wiki index pages can also contain other useful topical links to other wiki pages or even relevant off-site content.

Please add links to forum threads and posts to the matching wiki index pages linked in the first post of this thread.

Thanks.

Last edited by geekmaster; 07-12-2016 at 10:43 PM. Reason: Replace jailbreak links with sticky.
Old 06-02-2012, 09:23 PM   #3
geekmaster

The kindles have this editor built-in, so this is relevant, right?
Spoiler:

Last edited by geekmaster; 06-05-2012 at 01:46 AM.
Old 06-02-2012, 09:24 PM   #4
geekmaster

I wish I had THIS a LONG time ago. It is worth sharing. It is xkcd. It is here now.
Spoiler:

Last edited by geekmaster; 06-05-2012 at 01:45 AM.
Old 06-03-2012, 08:43 AM   #5
xueyou2
Connoisseur
xueyou2 can eat soup with a fork.xueyou2 can eat soup with a fork.xueyou2 can eat soup with a fork.xueyou2 can eat soup with a fork.xueyou2 can eat soup with a fork.xueyou2 can eat soup with a fork.xueyou2 can eat soup with a fork.xueyou2 can eat soup with a fork.xueyou2 can eat soup with a fork.xueyou2 can eat soup with a fork.xueyou2 can eat soup with a fork.

Device: none
Good work.Then i can know what i miss for kindle.
xueyou2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 10:19 AM   #6
geekmaster

The first post has been updated to point to the new Kindle Developer's Corner wiki index pages. Please update those wiki indexes with links to the best stuff in the Kindle Developer's Corner forum. Thanks.

There are plans to add forum prefix tags for those index topics to this forum as well. Hopefully, these new organizational tools will make this a better place.

P.S. The reason for wiki indexes to this forum is so that everybody can lend a helping hand in creating and maintaining these indexes, so that they can grow to stay relevant, current, and complete.
Old 06-04-2012, 02:23 PM   #7
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
If anyone feels like migrating the relevant parts of this to the Wiki, that'd be awesome.

In the meantime, I'll be indexing my own stuff bit by bit...

How do we want to deal with cross-referencing stuff (on the wiki)? (Say, a native app that works on FW 3.x-to-5.x?)
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 03:17 PM   #8
damaru
Enthusiast
damaru is kind to children and small, furry animalsdamaru is kind to children and small, furry animalsdamaru is kind to children and small, furry animalsdamaru is kind to children and small, furry animalsdamaru is kind to children and small, furry animalsdamaru is kind to children and small, furry animalsdamaru is kind to children and small, furry animalsdamaru is kind to children and small, furry animalsdamaru is kind to children and small, furry animalsdamaru is kind to children and small, furry animalsdamaru is kind to children and small, furry animals

Device: kindle
> If anyone feels like migrating the relevant parts of this to the Wiki, that'd be awesome.

I've made that page : https://wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/Kind...ks_Information

that has most of that information + kindlets and other information

needs to be updated though
damaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 05:46 PM   #9
geekmaster

The point of the new wiki INDEX pages is to provide both a keyword sorted index (just like a book) AND a table of contents sorted by topic and subtopic (but not ACTUAL information content -- only links).

To provide index links into large wiki pages, it would help to use local addressing (hash tags) in the URLs.

Because these indexes are on wiki pages, anybody can reorganize them, but we need to decide how we want them to look before they grow out of control.

Also, I think that all the index topic wiki pages should be of the same format.

*** And I agree that most of the stuff in the hacks sticky should be indexed in the wikis...

We need to get some stuff in there, then we can try organizing it. Al least I provided a framework to get us started...
Old 06-04-2012, 05:54 PM   #10
geekmaster

Hmmm..... All the wiki index pages are still linkless! Is EVERYBODY afraid to be the first person out on the dance floor? (I have often been the only person on the dance floor in dance clubs, when I was younger, but it did not take long for others to join me, and some of them even thanked me).

So if needed, I will add some links, just to get people started. As NiLuJe suggested, we can start easily by copying links from the Hacks sticky into whichever indexes (plurarl) that they fit into.

We have a LOT of posts in here to sort and index. I alone have more thousands of posts. I suggest indexing only the first post in a discussion subthread even if it is buried deep inside a much larger thread (like NiLuJe's fonts thread). No need to index all threads or all posts -- just start with the best and most popular ones and work down from there...

We need this for newcomers, and we need it for ourselves. The search engines are not up to the task, so we need a manually crafted and managed index.

Please help (that is why it is in a wiki) -- and thanks!
Old 06-04-2012, 11:58 PM   #11
geekmaster

I added some links to all the Index wikis. Please add more. And make them look "pretty". Each one should have a thumbnail image or icon at the top to show the category.

Whatever format you guys decide on, try to keep them all consistent in style and layout. Thanks.

One of them has a link that points into a wiki subtopic. You can add links to other parts of the hacking wikis too. And offsite links are welcome too if they are relevant and on-topic.

Please keep offsite links short. Do not add extra "pay me for clicks on this link" crap (like somebody added to some amazon kindlet links in another thread).

Hopefully, new people (and old members too) will be able to use the master index to find important things that were buried and lost in the search engine results. There are SO MANY posts in this forum that the search engine is NOT up to the task. Hopefully this Master Index and the Index Wikis will do the job that we need it to.

This should be a good starting point for newcomers to this forum. I am hoping that this will allow us to spend less time answering the same questions that we have answered MANY times before, so we can spend more time developing NEW stuff.

Good luck. I leave (most of) the rest up to you all.

Last edited by geekmaster; 06-05-2012 at 12:09 AM.
Old 06-05-2012, 12:40 AM   #12
geekmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiLuJe View Post
If anyone feels like migrating the relevant parts of this to the Wiki, that'd be awesome.

In the meantime, I'll be indexing my own stuff bit by bit...

How do we want to deal with cross-referencing stuff (on the wiki)? (Say, a native app that works on FW 3.x-to-5.x?)
I added your link to all the index wikis, with a comment that it needs to be "indexed" (meaning add links from it to appropriate forum index wikis).

That "cross-referencing" thing can be discussed in this thread. Personally, I would add your example native app that works on 3.x to 5.x in the "Native" and K3 and K4 and K5 indexes.

We can add more categories to the first post, and create a corresponding wiki.

It is good to add things that fit into multiple categories into each of the applicable index wikis. I have all ready put some links into multiple index wikis.

This thread is for discussions about the index, its style, format, content, organization, and other index-related topics.

I realize that these need some kind of STYLE applied to them. Hopefully that will happen before they grow too big.

Although we have plenty of stuff in this forum that needs to be indexed, offsite links are welcome too when appropriate. I added some of them already.

Perhaps we want separate table of content pages? Example: K5_TOC, in addition to K5_Index.

I envisioned a book-like keyword index for these, but I do not know a good way to do that. Ideas?

Any librarians in our midst?

Last edited by geekmaster; 06-05-2012 at 02:03 AM.
Old 06-05-2012, 02:26 AM   #13
geekmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by damaru View Post
> If anyone feels like migrating the relevant parts of this to the Wiki, that'd be awesome.

I've made that page : https://wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/Kind...ks_Information

that has most of that information + kindlets and other information

needs to be updated though
I added your link to several of the index wiki pages, with a comment that it needs to be "indexed" (links copied from the linked page to the relevant index wiki pages).
Old 06-07-2012, 01:36 AM   #14
aditya3098
Guru
aditya3098 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aditya3098 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aditya3098 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aditya3098 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aditya3098 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aditya3098 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aditya3098 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aditya3098 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aditya3098 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aditya3098 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aditya3098 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Scribe
I like it!
aditya3098 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 09:15 AM   #15
geekmaster

I often have copy/paste problems in my VM. I have fixed some bad URLs in the Indexes. Other than DaleDe doing some "style" changes to the internal layout, and somebody with a .cz IP address fixing a bad URL, all the other changes were mine.

I hope others contribute to this to keep it alive and growing. Also, it would be nice if somebody gives the indexes a nice visual style, and good layout organization.

I added thumbnail images to all of the indexes. For each different app type, I added a thumbnail of a sample app of that type.

Please help. At least index stuff from your own threads. I will not have much available time for awhile. Thanks.

Last edited by geekmaster; 06-08-2012 at 11:40 PM.

Tags
hacks, index, tutorials, wiki