Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader > Kobo Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 04-24-2022, 07:32 PM   #61
KaizaCorp
Enthusiast
KaizaCorp began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by MGlitch View Post
There's also a font pack from Amazon which includes Bookerly ( https://developer.amazon.com/en-US/a...nes/typography ), though I don't know what version is in the pack vs what version is "current". It also does require some tinkering in Fontforge instructions for that here: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...81&postcount=9 in order for italic to show properly (as is it'll show as bold italic).

If you REALLY don't want to use fontforge you could also opt to just not install the bold italic version of Bookerly, this SHOULD force the use of the italic version though I can't say for sure if this will work after all the changes in font handling 4.32 brought. Though I'd also say fontforge isn't scary, just follow the linked guide, easy peasy.

Awesome, thanks! Got the italics sorted out with fontforge
KaizaCorp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2022, 11:17 PM   #62
Deobulakenyo
Guru
Deobulakenyo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deobulakenyo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deobulakenyo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deobulakenyo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deobulakenyo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deobulakenyo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deobulakenyo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deobulakenyo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deobulakenyo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deobulakenyo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deobulakenyo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Boyue Likebook P78
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaizaCorp View Post
Awesome, thanks! Got the italics sorted out with fontforge
Can you share your fixed font? Thanks
Deobulakenyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-25-2022, 01:37 AM   #63
howyoudoin
how YOU doin?
howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard, iPad Pro 10.5”, Kobo Aura H2O, Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaizaCorp View Post
Are there particular fonts that are better suited to testing the optimizeLegibility setting?

I've tried optimizelegibility and geometricprecision with the font Andada in kePub. Hinting is much better (to my eyes) with the former. There is hinting present with geometricprecision too, but it looks like an algorithm did the hinting. With optimizelegibility, the hinting looks beautifully done with a human touch.
howyoudoin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2022, 06:58 PM   #64
Maillemom
Connoisseur
Maillemom solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.Maillemom solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.Maillemom solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.Maillemom solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.Maillemom solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.Maillemom solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.Maillemom solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.Maillemom solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.Maillemom solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.Maillemom solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.Maillemom solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.

Device: Nook Classic, Nook STG, Nook Color, Kindle, Kobo H2O
It must be just me!

Hello - I haven't had to update my Kobo in a long time, but here I am trying to figure out how to patch. I can tell you it's not like riding a bycycle!

I followed the instructions for patching 4.32.19501. I downloaded the data that was needed in steps 1 and 2 and now here come my real questions.

Step2: Download and extract the patch.zip, where am I unzipping the data to?
Step3: Copy the firmware to the scr folder. I don't have an src folder, where should it be?

I really just want to read with my favorite fonts.

Would it be possible for someone to walk me thru the process?

Thanks in advance! Sorry to bother everyone.

Trice
Maillemom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2022, 07:05 PM   #65
Deobulakenyo
Guru
Deobulakenyo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deobulakenyo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deobulakenyo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deobulakenyo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deobulakenyo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deobulakenyo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deobulakenyo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deobulakenyo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deobulakenyo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deobulakenyo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deobulakenyo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Boyue Likebook P78
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maillemom View Post
Hello - I haven't had to update my Kobo in a long time, but here I am trying to figure out how to patch. I can tell you it's not like riding a bycycle!

I followed the instructions for patching 4.32.19501. I downloaded the data that was needed in steps 1 and 2 and now here come my real questions.

Step2: Download and extract the patch.zip, where am I unzipping the data to?
Step3: Copy the firmware to the scr folder. I don't have an src folder, where should it be?

I really just want to read with my favorite fonts.

Would it be possible for someone to walk me thru the process?

Thanks in advance! Sorry to bother everyone.

Trice

2. You can extract the file anywhere in your pc.

3. The src folder will be in the extracted files.

You do not need the patch if you wanted to use your own fonts only. You just need to add your font files to be inside fonts folder (create one) in your device's root directory

Last edited by Deobulakenyo; 04-26-2022 at 07:09 PM.
Deobulakenyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-29-2022, 03:24 AM   #66
toancv
Connoisseur
toancv began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle paperwhite, Likebook Mars, Kobo Aura Ed. 2, Kobo Touch
Hi Jackie,
Can I replace the Library dictionary display fonts (George/Anenir fonts) with Kobo Nickel font? If yes, how to?

Kobo nickel font is the only built-in font can display the language I need.

Thanks!
toancv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2022, 11:20 AM   #67
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer
jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: KA1, ClaraHD, Forma, Libra2, Clara2E. PocketBook: TouchHD3
Quote:
Originally Posted by toancv View Post
Can I replace the Library dictionary display fonts (George/Anenir fonts) with Kobo Nickel font? If yes, how to?
As far as I can tell 'Kobo Nickel' is one of the built-in fonts which is no longer accessible via kobopatches.

In addition, built-in fonts are encrypted (or obfuscated???) so none of the existing "font tricks" will work because you can't use a font editor with them in their locked state.

Quote:
Originally Posted by toancv View Post
Kobo nickel font is the only built-in font can display the language I need.
You haven't said which language. Did you try any/all of the suggestions I made to @codychan earlier in this thread for patch Dictionary text font-family/font-size/line-height:
Code:
  - ReplaceString: {Offset: 54, Find: "Georgia   ", Replace: "sans-serif",             MustMatchLength: yes}
  - ReplaceString: {Offset: 54, Find: "Georgia               ", Replace: "'KBJ-TsukuMin Pr6N RB'", MustMatchLength: yes}
  - ReplaceString: {Offset: 54, Find: "Georgia              ", Replace: "'KBJ-UDKakugo Pr6N M'",  MustMatchLength: yes}
  - ReplaceString: {Offset: 54, Find: "Georgia         ", Replace: "'AR UDJingxihei'",       MustMatchLength: yes}
@codychan said the last one worked for his/her sideloaded CJK dictionaries (but it didn't help with any of my English custom dictionaries).

If none of the above work for your language, the only solution I can think of is to use the files: feature of kobopatch to replace one of the built-in fonts with a font of your choosing. This is not particularly difficult but to "fool" the Kobo into thinking your new font is its old built-in font you need to be able to use a font editor (e.g. FontCreator, FontForge, TTFEdit).

The outline of the process is as follows. Step 2 is essential so if you don't feel you can do this the rest becomes irrelevant.:
  1. Choose the font you want to use for the dictionary.
  2. Use your font editor to edit the *internal* fontname of your chosen font files (could be 1 or 4 ttf files) to match exactly the built-in fontname you're planning to replace.
  3. Decide which built-in font your chosen font is going to overwrite. Probably requires more explanation but I'll leave it for now.
  4. Edit your patch Dictionary text font-family/font-size/line-height (in libnickel.so.1.0.0.yaml) to customise font-family. Depends on what you chose in the previous step.
  5. Copy your renamed font files (from step 2) to a subdirectory somewhere under kobopatch's /src subdirectory on your PC.
  6. Edit the files: section at the bottom of your kobopatch.yaml file to copy your chosen font files to kobopatch's output KoboRoot.tgz in the correct place so that they will overwrite the default font files.
  7. Run kobopatch as you normally would and install the output KoboRoot.tgz file.
jackie_w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2022, 08:50 AM   #68
chemob
chemob began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Libra H2O
Hello Jackie,

Is there any other built-in fonts I can try beside all the four that you suggested? I have an english-vietnamese dictionary and all of your ReplaceString suggestions didn't work unfortunately.

Thanks.
chemob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2022, 11:11 AM   #69
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer
jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chemob View Post
Is there any other built-in fonts I can try beside all the four that you suggested? I have an english-vietnamese dictionary and all of your ReplaceString suggestions didn't work unfortunately.
I really don't know any more than I've already posted. All I can suggest is for you to try the fontnames (as seen in the [Aa] menu) of other built-in fonts. But I'm not very hopeful.

Otherwise you would need use steps 1-7 as outlined above, in post #67. I know this method works because I've used it myself to completely replace the built-in 'Avenir Next' font (4 .ttf files) with an internally-renamed set of 4 Calibri .ttf files (as found in Win10 fonts).
Old 05-10-2022, 03:46 AM   #70
chemob

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackie_w View Post
Otherwise you would need use steps 1-7 as outlined above, in post #67. I know this method works because I've used it myself to completely replace the built-in 'Avenir Next' font (4 .ttf files) with an internally-renamed set of 4 Calibri .ttf files (as found in Win10 fonts).
Thanks for your reply Jackie

I'm stuck at Step 2. If I want to replace the 'Avenir Next' font with the 'Calibri' font as you did; what should I put in Fontname, Family Name, and Name For Humans when I try to edit the font name of Calibri?

I'm new to this so your help is really appreciated. Or if you could suggest any link about this, I'm more than happy.
Old 05-10-2022, 05:16 AM   #71
mietek81
Connoisseur
mietek81 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!mietek81 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!mietek81 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!mietek81 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!mietek81 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!mietek81 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!mietek81 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!mietek81 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!mietek81 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!mietek81 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!mietek81 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

Device: Kobo Glo, H2O
So... For testing I'm trying to do something like this in kobopatch.yaml
Code:
E:\Różne\Kobo\GloHD\kobopatch_4.32.19501\src\adds\Fonts\NotoSans-Bold.ttf: usr/local/Trolltech/QtEmbedded-4.6.2-arm/lib/fonts/Avenir-Bold.ttf
  E:\Różne\Kobo\GloHD\kobopatch_4.32.19501\src\adds\Fonts\NotoSans-BoldItalic.ttf: usr/local/Trolltech/QtEmbedded-4.6.2-arm/lib/fonts/Avenir-BoldItalic.ttf
  E:\Różne\Kobo\GloHD\kobopatch_4.32.19501\src\adds\Fonts\NotoSans-Italic.ttf: usr/local/Trolltech/QtEmbedded-4.6.2-arm/lib/fonts/Avenir-Italic.ttf
  E:\Różne\Kobo\GloHD\kobopatch_4.32.19501\src\adds\Fonts\NotoSans-Regular.ttf: usr/local/Trolltech/QtEmbedded-4.6.2-arm/lib/fonts/Avenir.ttf
  E:\Różne\Kobo\GloHD\kobopatch_4.32.19501\src\adds\Fonts\NotoSerif-Regular.ttf: usr/local/Trolltech/QtEmbedded-4.6.2-arm/lib/fonts/georgia.ttf
  E:\Różne\Kobo\GloHD\kobopatch_4.32.19501\src\adds\Fonts\NotoSerif-Bold.ttf: usr/local/Trolltech/QtEmbedded-4.6.2-arm/lib/fonts/georgiab.ttf
  E:\Różne\Kobo\GloHD\kobopatch_4.32.19501\src\adds\Fonts\NotoSerif-Italic.ttf: usr/local/Trolltech/QtEmbedded-4.6.2-arm/lib/fonts/georgiai.ttf
  E:\Różne\Kobo\GloHD\kobopatch_4.32.19501\src\adds\Fonts\NotoSerif-BoldItalic.ttf: usr/local/Trolltech/QtEmbedded-4.6.2-arm/lib/fonts/georgiaz.ttf
and running kobopatch.bat gives me error like this:
Code:
E:\Różne\Kobo\GloHD\kobopatch_4.32.19501>kobopatch.bat
kobopatch 653070c
https://github.com/geek1011/kobopatch

Loading configuration from kobopatch.yaml
Error: could not load config file: error reading kobopatch.yaml: yaml: unmarshal errors:
  line 52: cannot unmarshal !!str `usr/loc...` into map[string]bool
  line 53: cannot unmarshal !!str `usr/loc...` into map[string]bool
  line 54: cannot unmarshal !!str `usr/loc...` into map[string]bool
  line 55: cannot unmarshal !!str `usr/loc...` into map[string]bool
  line 56: cannot unmarshal !!str `usr/loc...` into map[string]bool
  line 57: cannot unmarshal !!str `usr/loc...` into map[string]bool
  line 58: cannot unmarshal !!str `usr/loc...` into map[string]bool
  line 59: cannot unmarshal !!str `usr/loc...` into map[string]bool
Without changes in kobopatch.yaml patcher works great.
What am I doing wrong?
mietek81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2022, 08:24 AM   #72
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mietek81 View Post
Without changes in kobopatch.yaml patcher works great.
What am I doing wrong?
I'm not really sure but these are possibilities to rule out:
  • The kobopatch.yaml code you posted is inconsistently indented. That may be just an error in your copy-paste but if not it needs fixing.
  • Unicode characters in a filepath always make me suspicious.
    Code:
    E:\Różne\
    Try putting your source .ttfs in a folder structure which uses just plain ASCII characters. Don't include spaces in the path, either.
  • Long shot. You've used back-slashes (\) in the filepaths of the source .ttfs. Try forward-slashes (/) instead.

If none of the above works post the whole of your actual kobopatch.yaml. I need the actual file as an attachment to your post, not just a copy-paste of the contents. You'll probably need to rename it to kobopatch.yaml.txt for MobileRead to allow the attachment.
Old 05-10-2022, 09:52 AM   #73
mietek81
Connoisseur
mietek81 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!mietek81 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!mietek81 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!mietek81 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!mietek81 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!mietek81 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!mietek81 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!mietek81 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!mietek81 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!mietek81 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!mietek81 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

Device: Kobo Glo, H2O
Ok, I've found out what was the problem. I forgot to uncomment the files: line. So stupid of me It would be obvious from the start if I had included the file.
I'm sorry for taking your time.
mietek81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2022, 02:52 PM   #74
chemob

After some experiments following jackie_w's instruction and copying some code from mietek81, I've successfully replaced the built-in 'Avenir Next' font with the NotoSerif font; and my en-vi dictionary is now displayed correctly.
Thank you so much guys!!!
Old 05-10-2022, 03:57 PM   #75
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Thanks for your reply Jackie

I'm stuck at Step 2. If I want to replace the 'Avenir Next' font with the 'Calibri' font as you did; what should I put in Fontname, Family Name, and Name For Humans when I try to edit the font name of Calibri?

I'm new to this so your help is really appreciated. Or if you could suggest any link about this, I'm more than happy.
Sorry, I completely missed this post from earlier today...

Quote:
After some experiments following jackie_w's instruction and copying some code from mietek81, I've successfully replaced the built-in 'Avenir Next' font with the NotoSerif font; and my en-vi dictionary is now displayed correctly.
... but it sounds like you must have figured it out for yourself.

Tags
kobopatch, patch, patch32lsb, patches, patching