Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 03-18-2022, 03:51 AM   #16
meeera
Grand Sorcerer
meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, iPadMini4, iPad4, MBP; support other Kobo/Kindles
Quote:
Originally Posted by BookCat View Post
Can I use the Libra 2 on permanent aeroplane mode? I don't have wifi (by choice) so need to download books to my laptop. I also need to be able to register the device without wifi. There's a possibility someone who lives over the road from me might let me use his wifi for registration, but he's been a hypochondriac since covid and hates having anyone in his house!:
Others have identified the Kobo Desktop solution. Other options include hot-spotting from a smartphone, or connecting to public wifi (library, cafe, shopping centre, etc etc).
meeera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2022, 12:35 PM   #17
Barty
doofus
Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kindle Voyage
Well I can say the Libra 2 light is the most even I've seen on any eink reader. The only problem is the LEDs can have a green tint. The first one I bought had noticeable green tint; I got another one and it's much better.

Battery is fine. Not outstanding in either good or bad way

Books tend to be cheaper on Amazon. Just buy them there, strip DRM, load on Kobo

You don't need to enter your friend's house. You could probably stand outside the house near the room where his WiFi router is and get a good enough signal to register. Or go to a Starbucks
Barty is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-18-2022, 12:43 PM   #18
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
It sounds complicated, but I'm sure this will all become clear.

I've bought the Libra 2 from the Kobo site. Hopefully it won't take long to arrive. Looking forward to reading on my new toy.
Enjoy your new purchase.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2022, 03:39 PM   #19
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barty View Post
Books tend to be cheaper on Amazon. Just buy them there, strip DRM, load on Kobo
Other than Amazon exclusive books, if you find the book is more expensive at Kobo, you can use their price matching. See Price Match Guarantee on Kobo's website. The posted link is to the Canadian English page but you can also find the Price Match stuff at the bottom of Kobo's home page.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2022, 02:09 PM   #20
BookCat
C L J
BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony e-reader 505, Kindle PW2, Kindle PW3, Kobo Libra2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirtel View Post
A word of warning. The latest Kobo update (4.31) is rather buggy, especially with sideloading. Fortunately you can downgrade a Kobo device to a previous firmware version, unlike a Kindle.

I won't go into details right now, but if you experience freezing, rebooting, corrupted database and so on, let us know and we'll instruct how to downgrade. Of course it's possible Kobo will have released a fix by then, but we have been waiting for it a while now...
My new Libra is arriving tomorrow and I'd like to downgrade the firmware before I've put many books on it. I've been reading the thread about problems with the latest firmware.
How is the downgrade done? Is this a simple process?
Thanks.
BookCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-20-2022, 02:40 PM   #21
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Simpler than this makes it sound!

From
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...&postcount=576
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quoth View Post
Reverting FW:
1) Download version: https://pgaskin.net/KoboStuff/kobofirmware.html Go bottom of page and click show
2) Unzip the download
3) Connect ereader via USB (make sure at least 50% charged and on Home screen)
4) open two windows: One inside unzip folder and one inside .kobo On Mac & Linux you need to enable view hidden files/folders as a .prefix hides.
5) Copy the unzipped files into the .kobo window/folder/directory
6) Select eject/unmount etc OS command and only eject when OS says, or wait for Kobo Home screen.
7) Unplug USB, the Kobo will be rebooting.
8) Wait till it's all done and homescreen is back. Do not touch power button!
9) Do a power down & restart, then check version in settings.
Step 9 shouldn't be needed, but it doesn't hurt and was needed by me once.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2022, 03:16 PM   #22
BookCat
C L J
BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thank you, Quoth. I'll do that after the Libra 2 arrives and has been registered.

(Sorry, can't give you more K.)
Old 03-21-2022, 10:44 AM   #23
BookCat
C L J

It's arrived! I've registered him using the Kobo desktop and I'm please to see he's using firmware 4.30.18838. not the problematic one. I haven't had a chance to really play with him, but the lighting looks fine.

Strangely, investigating his Device information gives the 'software version' which I've given above, then 'Firmware information' which gives info I don't understand. The Kernel Version (?) is 4.1.15
Does anyone understand this?

I've turned off his wifi and will now try to read a freebie on him. If all goes well I'll purchase a third party cover from Amazon which has a silly graffiti design, sleep cover and stands the reader.

I'm surprised Rakuten don't have a downloadable User Manual for the Libra 2, but I've found a third party one.
Old 03-21-2022, 11:02 AM   #24
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
It's arrived! I've registered him using the Kobo desktop and I'm please to see he's using firmware 4.30.18838. not the problematic one. I haven't had a chance to really play with him, but the lighting looks fine.

Strangely, investigating his Device information gives the 'software version' which I've given above, then 'Firmware information' which gives info I don't understand. The Kernel Version (?) is 4.1.15

I've turned off his wifi and will now try to read a freebie on him. If all goes well I'll purchase a third party cover from Amazon which has a silly graffiti design, sleep cover and stands the reader.

I'm surprised Rakuten don't have a downloadable User Manual for the Libra 2, but I've found a third party one.
You've got better then a manual. You have us.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2022, 11:42 AM   #25
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Your Libra 2 runs Linux as it's operating system. What it is saying is that the Linux kernel version used in the firmware currently on your Libra 2 is 4.1.15. For a bit more information, check i.MX Linux kernel 4.1.15.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2022, 12:41 PM   #26
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
Quote:

See https://help.kobo.com/hc/en-us/artic...5-Kobo-Libra-2

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2022, 12:44 PM   #27
BookCat
C L J

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
You've got better then a manual. You have us.
Thank you. That's so reassuring.

If anyone is interested, I downloaded the third party manual from here (I think he's a mobileread member).
https://kbdownload1-a.akamaihd.net/m...erGuide-EN.pdf

I don't always like to bother members with trivial things, like how to invert the buttons, so a manual is useful. The above helped me with this.

However, now that I've inverted the buttons so that the top button in portrait mode is the forward one, when in landscape the same button goes back to the previous page. Puzzling.
Old 03-21-2022, 12:49 PM   #28
BookCat
C L J

Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
Your Libra 2 runs Linux as it's operating system. What it is saying is that the Linux kernel version used in the firmware currently on your Libra 2 is 4.1.15. For a bit more information, check i.MX Linux kernel 4.1.15.
Thanks, this clears up the two sets of information. So the 'software' refers to what we would normally call 'firmware'. That makes more sense with the number system.

How do I prevent my Kobo from trying to update the firmware each time it's connected to the desktop app? So far I've just stopped the update, but is there a way of disabling this?
Old 03-21-2022, 12:52 PM   #29
BookCat
C L J

PeterT. I saw that when looking for user guides, but it's not downloadable. In the past I've always put the user manuals on my ereader then searched them when necessary.

I've ordered a cover for him; terrified of scratching the screen.
Old 03-21-2022, 01:13 PM   #30
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
Quote:
Thank you. That's so reassuring.

If anyone is interested, I downloaded the third party manual from here (I think he's a mobileread member).

https://kbdownload1-a.akamaihd.net/m...erGuide-EN.pdf

That's not a 3rd party manual; it's the real Kobo manual.

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
libra 2, thinking of buying