Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 12-27-2019, 04:46 PM   #1
Lima7
Connoisseur
Lima7 composes epic poetry in binary.Lima7 composes epic poetry in binary.Lima7 composes epic poetry in binary.Lima7 composes epic poetry in binary.Lima7 composes epic poetry in binary.Lima7 composes epic poetry in binary.Lima7 composes epic poetry in binary.Lima7 composes epic poetry in binary.Lima7 composes epic poetry in binary.Lima7 composes epic poetry in binary.Lima7 composes epic poetry in binary.

Device: Aura
Transferring books from iPad to Kobo

Hey guys! So bear with me, I’m a bit of a noob when it comes to electronics. I’ve searched for the answer online but couldn’t find it.

So I used someone’s iPad Pro and with a USB-C to USB hub, I was able to connect my Kobo, download books on the iPad, and transfer them from the Folder app to my Kobo by just dragging them, as the iPad recognized my kobo as a device.

I have an older iPad (7th Gen) so I’m not sure if it’ll work or not

Thanks so much!

Last edited by Lima7; 12-27-2019 at 05:02 PM.
Lima7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2019, 07:10 PM   #2
asleyam
Enthusiast
asleyam is less competitive than you.asleyam is less competitive than you.asleyam is less competitive than you.asleyam is less competitive than you.asleyam is less competitive than you.asleyam is less competitive than you.asleyam is less competitive than you.asleyam is less competitive than you.asleyam is less competitive than you.asleyam is less competitive than you.asleyam is less competitive than you.

Device: kindle voyage, Kobo Forma, Kobo Aura One
It is also possible to transfer books directly from older iPads/iphones/ipods to kobo readers (I used aura one and forma) that support the beta web browser and share the same network. Using an iOS app such as GoodReader (in which the books are stored) start the server and then use that IP address in the kobo web browser. Although somewhat clunky, I find it perfectly adequate for small number of files.
asleyam is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-27-2019, 07:56 PM   #3
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, PW3, Libra H2O, iPad 10.5, iPad 11, iPad 12.9
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lima7 View Post
Hey guys! So bear with me, I’m a bit of a noob when it comes to electronics. I’ve searched for the answer online but couldn’t find it.

So I used someone’s iPad Pro and with a USB-C to USB hub, I was able to connect my Kobo, download books on the iPad, and transfer them from the Folder app to my Kobo by just dragging them, as the iPad recognized my kobo as a device.

I have an older iPad (7th Gen) so I’m not sure if it’ll work or not

Thanks so much!
iPad 7th gen is the latest entry level model and it runs iPadOS 13 so it should be possible. You're gonna need this though:

https://www.apple.com/shop/product/M...apter?fnode=37

As mentioned, apps that can be used as HTTP server paired with the browser on the Kobo would work, too (albeit one book at a time).

Would be so nice if/when Kobo rolls out the Dropbox sync feature to all their devices. Alas, it's only for Forma users at the moment.
ilovejedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2019, 08:06 PM   #4
Lima7
Connoisseur
Lima7 composes epic poetry in binary.Lima7 composes epic poetry in binary.Lima7 composes epic poetry in binary.Lima7 composes epic poetry in binary.Lima7 composes epic poetry in binary.Lima7 composes epic poetry in binary.Lima7 composes epic poetry in binary.Lima7 composes epic poetry in binary.Lima7 composes epic poetry in binary.Lima7 composes epic poetry in binary.Lima7 composes epic poetry in binary.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovejedd View Post
iPad 7th gen is the latest entry level model and it runs iPadOS 13 so it should be possible. You're gonna need this though:

https://www.apple.com/shop/product/M...apter?fnode=37

As mentioned, apps that can be used as HTTP server paired with the browser on the Kobo would work, too (albeit one book at a time).

Would be so nice if/when Kobo rolls out the Dropbox sync feature to all their devices. Alas, it's only for Forma users at the moment.

I got a similar one for cheaper on Amazon! Hopefully it works. But that’s something like that that I used on the iPad Pro. I just wasn’t sure if that was doable on my iPad since the pro Is basically like a computer! Hopefully it works. It’s just easier than the apps you are talking about I find.
Old 01-05-2020, 11:23 AM   #5
Dodman
Enthusiast
Dodman can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterDodman can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterDodman can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterDodman can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterDodman can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterDodman can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterDodman can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterDodman can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterDodman can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterDodman can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterDodman can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameter

Device: Ipad, Kobo Aura One
I have a 6th generation iPad with iOS 13 and I also have an official, powered Lightning/USB connector but although I can transfer files to and from my iPad using USB sticks my Kobo Aura One isn’t recognised. The Kobo interface goes a bit haywire when I try to make the connection but nothing shows in my iPad at all.

The same happen when I try and made a connection using Goodreader on my iPad and the internet browser on my Kobo. Nor can I use the Kobo browser to link to my gmail or Dropbox accounts.

The only way I am able to transfer ebooks to my Kobo is via Calibre on my laptop. As this laptop is hearing the end of its life I am searching - so far in vain - for an alternative transfer means.

I just wish it was as easy as using Pocket, which works seamlessly for more or less any article I come across. If only there was an ebook version!
Dodman is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-05-2020, 11:32 AM   #6
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dodman View Post
I have a 6th generation iPad with iOS 13 and I also have an official, powered Lightning/USB connector but although I can transfer files to and from my iPad using USB sticks my Kobo Aura One isn’t recognised. The Kobo interface goes a bit haywire when I try to make the connection but nothing shows in my iPad at all.
Did you connect the adapter to power before plugging in the Aura One? I encountered a similar issue trying to copy files from a 2017 Pro 12.9 (2nd gen). Plugging in the Lightning charger (12W) before I connected the Libra H2O solved the issue for me.

Quote:
The same happen when I try and made a connection using Goodreader on my iPad and the internet browser on my Kobo.
GoodReader wifi sharing + beta web browser worked fine on my Libra H2O. What error did you encounter?
Old 01-05-2020, 12:22 PM   #7
Dodman
Enthusiast
Dodman can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterDodman can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterDodman can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterDodman can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterDodman can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterDodman can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterDodman can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterDodman can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterDodman can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterDodman can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterDodman can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameter

I just tried again, in the way you suggested. I think I did exactly that before because the result was the same. The Kobo display started flashing, with the half screen sized rectangular warning of ‘computer detected’ popping in and out of view, but never allowing enough time to press firmly on ‘connect’. Nothing showed up within ‘files’ on the iPad.

I may not be fully understanding Goodreader WiFi sharing. I opened the WiFi server option in GoodReader and copied the address showing there into my Kobo browser and pressed return. In the Kobo I just got a blank screen whereas in Goodreader it said ‘transfer in progress’. However, although I had selected an ePub file within GoodReader, it didn’t show up on my Kobo.
Old 01-05-2020, 12:58 PM   #8
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b

Quote:
I just tried again, in the way you suggested. I think I did exactly that before because the result was the same. The Kobo display started flashing, with the half screen sized rectangular warning of ‘computer detected’ popping in and out of view, but never allowing enough time to press firmly on ‘connect’. Nothing showed up within ‘files’ on the iPad.
Tried it just now on a 6th generation iPad (running iPadOS 13.3) and it worked with the Libra H2O. Wonder if the Aura One requires more power.

What wattage was the charger you had plugged in to the adapter? As mentioned, mine was 12W (Anker 6-port charger with PowerIQ, max 5V/2.4A per port).

Quote:
I may not be fully understanding Goodreader WiFi sharing. I opened the WiFi server option in GoodReader and copied the address showing there into my Kobo browser and pressed return. In the Kobo I just got a blank screen whereas in Goodreader it said ‘transfer in progress’. However, although I had selected an ePub file within GoodReader, it didn’t show up on my Kobo.
What version or GoodReader are you running? The WiFi server option on GoodReader 5 allows you to browse content stored locally in GoodReader.

You don't need to select any files on the GoodReader app. You just leave the window with the WiFi server address open. Then browse and choose what to download on the Kobo web browser. Once you're done downloading files, just stop the server on GoodReader.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1A2402E8-D41C-4125-B05A-521E9B0F2607.png
Views:	213
Size:	271.8 KB
ID:	176177   Click image for larger version

Name:	6A5107E6-FD2B-4F72-A5D9-02B6A81DBBCF.jpeg
Views:	203
Size:	392.5 KB
ID:	176178  
Old 01-05-2020, 01:40 PM   #9
Dodman
Enthusiast

I’m using an original Apple charging plug. It says 10 watts. I just tried using another charger which gave the same result. It’s obviously trying to connect as the ‘computer detected’ screen keeps appearing, but it’s far too intermittent to enable me to press on ‘connect’.

My Goodreader is version 5. I get the exact same iPad screen as you, saying ‘connection established’ (on a greenish background, after waiting while it says ‘transfer in progress’ on a red background); but my Kobo screen stays blank, unlike yours.
Old 01-09-2020, 02:52 PM   #10
Lima7
Connoisseur

Hey everyone. So I got the plug I ordered from Amazon and my iPad seems to be detecting the Kobo since it opens the Photos app, but when I open the folder app, my kobo isn’t listed there like it was on the iPad Pro. It says connected and charging but it seems like it’s not in the list of devices connected to the iPad.

Any idea why? Is it because of the iPad I’m using - it can’t be done on that version and just the iPad Pro?
Old 01-09-2020, 03:07 PM   #11
Deskisamess
Wizard
Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 7+, iPad mini, 2021 iPad Pro 12.9",Paperwhite 6.8"
I don't believe an iPad Pro gives you any differences in file handling that you won't have on a regular iPad. But, the versions of the OS both are running may be the issue. I use an iPad Pro, and my husband has the most recent regular iPad, but I've never used either to connect to a reader like a Kobo.

You may get more specific help on Apple forums as far as differences between abilities of the two.
Deskisamess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2020, 03:36 PM   #12
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b

Can you double check what iPad you actually have and what firmware you're running (Settings - General - About)?

iPadOS 13 is required for USB external storage support. It does NOT work on 1st gen iPad Air/iPad mini 3 and older.

By the way, when I plugged in my genuine Apple USB3 Camera Connector adapter to the iPad, I got a message that the firmware on the adapter itself was updating.

I've used the adapter on iPad 6th gen, 7th gen and Pro and it worked fine on all of them (after plugging in to power).
Old 01-09-2020, 03:54 PM   #13
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
This might be a long shot but I know in the past we've seen weird issues with Kobo and USB 3 ports. Try using connecting a USB 2 hub to the iPad and then attach the Kobo to the hub.
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2020, 05:05 PM   #14
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b

Quick test, can you create a folder named "DCIM" in the Kobo USB root? Then inside that DCIM folder, create a folder named something like "100ANDRO" and copy a few JPEG images inside the 100ANDRO folder.

Just wanna check if the iPad can read the images off the Kobo. If it can, then it's not the Kobo that's the problem. It's either you're using a too old iOS version or it's the adapter itself that's limited to just photos.

One reason I decided to bite the bullet and get the $40 adapter from the local Apple Store instead of cheaper ones from Amazon is due to some reviews mentioning that the cheaper adapters don't work properly. Also, Apple allows for easy in-store returns.
Old 01-09-2020, 08:50 PM   #15
Lima7
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovejedd View Post
Quick test, can you create a folder named "DCIM" in the Kobo USB root? Then inside that DCIM folder, create a folder named something like "100ANDRO" and copy a few JPEG images inside the 100ANDRO folder.

Just wanna check if the iPad can read the images off the Kobo. If it can, then it's not the Kobo that's the problem. It's either you're using a too old iOS version or it's the adapter itself that's limited to just photos.

One reason I decided to bite the bullet and get the $40 adapter from the local Apple Store instead of cheaper ones from Amazon is due to some reviews mentioning that the cheaper adapters don't work properly. Also, Apple allows for easy in-store returns.
Just figured it out. I wasn’t running iOS 13.3

now trying to update. That’s another story.
I’ll update you all once it’s done and see if it’s working.