Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK

Notices

Old 04-07-2019, 01:52 AM   #241
Cyfranek
Groupie
Cyfranek does all things with Zen-like beautyCyfranek does all things with Zen-like beautyCyfranek does all things with Zen-like beautyCyfranek does all things with Zen-like beautyCyfranek does all things with Zen-like beautyCyfranek does all things with Zen-like beautyCyfranek does all things with Zen-like beautyCyfranek does all things with Zen-like beautyCyfranek does all things with Zen-like beautyCyfranek does all things with Zen-like beautyCyfranek does all things with Zen-like beauty

Device: PocketBok Era, Kindle Oasis 3, Bookeen Diva HD
Whole NOOK directory dissapeared today on my Glowlight 3. All gone!
Cyfranek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2019, 03:48 PM   #242
barryem
Wizard
barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite 4
I just began reading my current book on my Glowlight 3. Maybe I've just been lucky but I really like this thing.

Barry
barryem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2019, 10:06 AM   #243
Calenorn
Brash Fumbler
Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: NST, Kobo Mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by barryem View Post
I just began reading my current book on my Glowlight 3. Maybe I've just been lucky but I really like this thing.

Barry
In fairness, the hardware is excellent.
Calenorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2019, 03:26 AM   #244
Cyfranek
Groupie
Cyfranek does all things with Zen-like beautyCyfranek does all things with Zen-like beautyCyfranek does all things with Zen-like beautyCyfranek does all things with Zen-like beautyCyfranek does all things with Zen-like beautyCyfranek does all things with Zen-like beautyCyfranek does all things with Zen-like beautyCyfranek does all things with Zen-like beautyCyfranek does all things with Zen-like beautyCyfranek does all things with Zen-like beautyCyfranek does all things with Zen-like beauty

My Nook did it again. After message "Nook has stopped" all my items dissapeared from ereader memory
Old 04-12-2019, 01:46 AM   #245
hank
Dinosaur
hank began at the beginning.

Device: Clie TH55, SJ30, VisorEdge, Palm3xe
Yep. If they claim to be unaware, refer them to this thread. No reason for us to have to retype the reports already made here.

Usually the Nook loses track of most of the books after a warning that something "has stopped" and the book I was reading suddenly can't be opened.

Or I've paused reading and when I click the "u" button I get a stupendously slow response -- the arrow at the bottom of the page where you're supposed to swipe sideways just crawls very slowly, swiping it does nothing.

Just setting the Nook aside for an hour or two fixes a lot of this stuff.
hank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2019, 01:47 AM   #246
hank
Dinosaur
hank began at the beginning.

Device: Clie TH55, SJ30, VisorEdge, Palm3xe
Oh, and long ago I gave up deleting individual books from the Nook's memory after reading them -- as that almost always was followed by all the sideloaded books disappearing. I switched to using Calibre, which manages loading and deleting books properly.
hank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2019, 06:58 AM   #247
raindog89
Connoisseur
raindog89 can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.raindog89 can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.raindog89 can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.raindog89 can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.raindog89 can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.raindog89 can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.raindog89 can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.raindog89 can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.raindog89 can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.raindog89 can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.raindog89 can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.

Device: Kobo Clara HD & Nook Glowlight 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmevis View Post
O.K., just heard back from the Nook Developer. He said they are unaware of any problems with side loading books, and asked for more information. If possible, I would like to hear back from anyone that has had problems with side loaded books disappearing, or, book shelfs disappearing, ASAP. If possible, can you provide:

Describe what is happening? Some or all side loaded books disappear? Book shelfs disappear? Can you describe how to make the problem appear, or is it random? Does your PC/Mac still see the books on your Nook via USB, but your Nook says they aren't there? etc.
That guy has either just started there or he is full of it. The NG3 is notorious for this issue. It has to do with how they virtually combine two partitions, but that's neither here nor there.

The issue I had continually, until I switched to a Kobo for my main ereader, was that once a month or so, when connecting the NG3 to my pc to sideload a book, it would get stuck in the drive enumeration. I would have to force reboot and when it came back up, my content was gone.

I'm not sure if this is related to the issue where you don't wait for the regular nook screen after you disconnect from the pc. Once I learned to press eject on the windows drive, this issue disappeared.
raindog89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2019, 07:11 AM   #248
Calenorn
Brash Fumbler
Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: NST, Kobo Mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by hank View Post
Just setting the Nook aside for an hour or two fixes a lot of this stuff.
Or just set it aside permanently and buy a Kobo.

Rumor has it there's a new NOOK on the way. After this experience, it doesn't matter if the new one can pick winning lottery numbers, I'm not touching it.
Calenorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2019, 11:10 AM   #249
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calenorn View Post
Or just set it aside permanently and buy a Kobo.

Rumor has it there's a new NOOK on the way. After this experience, it doesn't matter if the new one can pick winning lottery numbers, I'm not touching it.
For what it's worth, the Glowlight 3 problems seem to have started when they flipped partitions to give users more room for sideloading. (They should have just never partitioned the drive in the first place and they wouldn't be in this mess.)

I have a Glowlight 3 and a Glowlight Plus. They run the same firmware, but the Plus is stable and the 3, less so.

I've mostly moved on to Kobo, but I still love Nook hardware. My much better half uses the Glowlight 3. She doesn't use collections and only reads one book at a time. She's had zero issues.

I do the sideloading and haven't seen an issue with books disappearing. After disconnecting the Glowlight 3, you do have to leave it alone for a few minutes. I have to do the same with my Kobos, but those devices do seem to be better about notifying you that they are updating the database, whereas the Nooks appear to try to do it behind the scenes.
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2019, 02:41 PM   #250
Kaysclie
Addict
Kaysclie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kaysclie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kaysclie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kaysclie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kaysclie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kaysclie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kaysclie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kaysclie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kaysclie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kaysclie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kaysclie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Forma, Aura One,Ipad Pro 10.5, Oasis 3
I just called Barnes&Noble for help. None of my books would read on my
B&N glowlight 3...not even the B&N ones. They recommended I reset it from scratch, which I did.
All works again. I reread the postings here and realized that my whole problem started with my sideloaded books from calibre. It is most important that you disconnect the Nook reader from calibre when you are done. Hopefully I will remember that important step next time I download and sideload a book. I am smiling again!
Kaysclie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2019, 04:38 PM   #251
Cyfranek
Groupie

Support seems to be worthless. They suggest I have got a virus. And that's why my sideloaded books disappearing from time to time
I did point them to this thread...
Old 04-25-2019, 02:03 PM   #252
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyfranek View Post
Support seems to be worthless. They suggest I have got a virus. And that's why my sideloaded books disappearing from time to time
I did point them to this thread...
Sideloading is not likely something the B&N support team is trained on.
Old 04-26-2019, 07:24 AM   #253
tas03
Zealot
tas03 's soul has travelled the oceans between the stars.tas03 's soul has travelled the oceans between the stars.tas03 's soul has travelled the oceans between the stars.tas03 's soul has travelled the oceans between the stars.tas03 's soul has travelled the oceans between the stars.tas03 's soul has travelled the oceans between the stars.tas03 's soul has travelled the oceans between the stars.tas03 's soul has travelled the oceans between the stars.tas03 's soul has travelled the oceans between the stars.tas03 's soul has travelled the oceans between the stars.tas03 's soul has travelled the oceans between the stars.

Device: Nook Glowlight +, Nook Tab. , Nook Simple Touch, iPad Air, iPhone 6Se
ZodWallop - When I had a problem with odd behavior with sideloading onto my Nook Glowlight Plus I made the mistake of calling the B&N support. They told me sideloading was not possible with the Nook Glowlight Plus. I quoted to them about sideloading from the manual. They still argued with me. I hung up and fixed the problem myself.
tas03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2019, 07:48 AM   #254
lkmiller
Laura
lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Kobo Elipsa, Nook Glowlight Plus 7.8", Kindle Oasis 2
Was it the Glowlight Plus that couldn't handle library books at first (or anything with Adobe DRM)? The idea of having DRM-free books might have been an unknown concept to B&N support! :P
lkmiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2019, 11:21 AM   #255
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar

Quote:
Originally Posted by tas03 View Post
ZodWallop - When I had a problem with odd behavior with sideloading onto my Nook Glowlight Plus I made the mistake of calling the B&N support. They told me sideloading was not possible with the Nook Glowlight Plus. I quoted to them about sideloading from the manual. They still argued with me. I hung up and fixed the problem myself.
I've learned not to count on customer support for any sort of tech device. Your best bet is the internet.

My Glowlight Plus is much more stable than my Glowlight 3 when it comes to sideloading. I believe whatever they did to change the partition introduced bugs and those bugs have not been corrected as there haven't been any further firmware updates.