Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 01-28-2010, 01:03 AM   #46
brecklundin
Banned
brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.

Device: mine
Quote:
Originally Posted by Penforhire View Post
I agree with the OP but more because this is an expanding market. When Oprah mentioned the Kindle that made it the Xerox of e-readers, what Joe Public recognizes. When Apple brings this iPad to market it will bring a new flood of people into the e-book circle regardless of how suitable it is. "A rising tide lifts all boats" so I figure it'll stimulate sales of other e-readers.

Now if Apple made this same iPad with a screen on each side, E-ink or similar on the backside, THEN the other guys would be in serious trouble...
Man...I was pondering the eaxct same thing this afternoon...I was wondering if anyone was going to try it...my idea would use a flip over cover that would be held in place by maybe a magnet or whatever in order to protect the panel that is on the bottom.

I was not sure if anyone would find such a device of interest or not...weird someone else is as off center as me...zoikes!!
brecklundin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 01:09 AM   #47
DawnFalcon
Banned
DawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with others

Device: N/A
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drezin View Post
Anyone who is that hung up with appearances needs to get a life.

Holywood.

DawnFalcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-28-2010, 02:45 AM   #48
splendor
Enthusiast
splendor began at the beginning.

Device: irex
me too, planned to spend $1200 to buy a Ipad, as a ereader+pda, but since it turned out to be back-lit display, im not even buying it for $499, disappointed
splendor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 03:01 AM   #49
amjbrown
Addict
amjbrown ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amjbrown ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amjbrown ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amjbrown ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amjbrown ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amjbrown ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amjbrown ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amjbrown ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amjbrown ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amjbrown ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amjbrown ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3, Kindle app on the iPhone
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teddman View Post
I seriously doubt it. There will always be a market for paperback-sized e-paper devices that are at $199 or cheaper. The iPad is another class of device, priced at a different tier.

Most tech and gaming sites are considerably underwhelmed at the iPad's debut.

This forum is probably the most positive towards the iPad I've seen, probably because e-reading enthusiasts were used to paying about the same for large-format e-ink readers, and they're looking at it as an e-reader--where it exceeds the competition (in terms of offering color and a snazzy interface).

The rest of the world is looking at it as a tablet, with e-reading being a small part of it. Compared to netbooks and other PC tablets, it's overpriced and/or under-capable.
Look at the way the iPod Touch got cheaper and cheaper and cheaper?

All the pundits had this at $999 - the entry level model will be $299 be Christmas 2010 - you heard it hear first!!

IMHO

amjb
amjbrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 03:37 AM   #50
poshm
Fanatic
poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 360, Sony Reader Touch, Ipod touch & Kindle 2
Don't think e-ink devices need to worry about the iPad particularly.

E-ink devices tend to appeal more to people who spend hours reading, partly because of the eye-strain argument and also the fantastic battery life - 2 weeks of reading on 1 charge can't be knocked.

While some people may ditch their e-ink devices for the proposed glitz and glamour of the larger, colour screen of the iPad - I wonder how soon this novelty will wear off?

I read in small doses on the iPod touch - it's useful at night due to the backlighting and is small enough to slip in my pocket when going out and about. The battery life sucks and it's not that different to the battery life of the iPad. The colour screen is nice with pictures but makes no difference for bog-standard fiction.

If I get an iPad, it will be for the entertainment factor - for anything other than the odd bit of reading - NO!
poshm is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-28-2010, 03:42 AM   #51
EowynCarter
Wizard
EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybooks; Sony PRS-T1
Quote:
Don't think e-ink devices need to worry about the iPad particularly.
True. Differants device, fitting differants needs.
EowynCarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 04:45 AM   #52
johndoesecond
Connoisseur
johndoesecond knows what time it isjohndoesecond knows what time it isjohndoesecond knows what time it isjohndoesecond knows what time it isjohndoesecond knows what time it isjohndoesecond knows what time it isjohndoesecond knows what time it isjohndoesecond knows what time it isjohndoesecond knows what time it isjohndoesecond knows what time it isjohndoesecond knows what time it is

Device: Kindle DX, Kindle 4, Kindle PW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by brecklundin View Post
Man...I was pondering the eaxct same thing this afternoon...I was wondering if anyone was going to try it...my idea would use a flip over cover that would be held in place by maybe a magnet or whatever in order to protect the panel that is on the bottom.

I was not sure if anyone would find such a device of interest or not...weird someone else is as off center as me...zoikes!!
Well, Entourage Edge is quite close to that.
johndoesecond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 11:43 AM   #53
mint
mint began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-505
I do think the e-reader market will be affected, but not dead I hope. Speaking for myself, I have a 505, I'd like to get another large screen reader, I know the great benefits of a dedicated reader and the e-ink display, and yet it's not enough to justify their high prices compared to iPad (i.e. I will choose the iPad if I must). I'd like to see the price of large screen readers (or any size screen really) drop significantly, then I would be more than happy to purchase one.
mint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 12:01 PM   #54
ac4lt
Connoisseur
ac4lt began at the beginning.

Device: ipad
I think the kindle dx, que, skiff and other large format readers do have reason to worry. For the price of the kindle dx you can now buy a device that is far more functional. Yes, you give up the e-ink advantages, but you also give up the e-ink disadvantages.

I doubt iPad will have much impact on the small format reader market but I think it will draw many people who might have gone to a kindle dx or other competing reader unless the price point goes down for the big e-ink devices, particularly for the que.

I suspect most people will find a 10 hour battery good enough for practical use if the claim is true in the real world. The only real disadvantage is lack of daylight readability but the tradeoff in content versatility may draw a lot of people.

Weight, might be an issue for extended reading. A 1.5 pound reader might be tiring for extended reading though kindle dx is only 5 ounces lighter.

Would I get one??? I'm not sure.

I want a large format reader. It would be fantastic photo presentation device. It would be a great way to take notes when doing genealogy research. But, I'm going to have to hold one in my hands and play with it to see.

But for many people, particularly those not already owning a dedicated e-reader, I think it will be a hit.
ac4lt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 01:15 PM   #55
Bremen Cole
Wizard
Bremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with others

Device: iPad
Agree with ac4lt, it is the large format readers that are going to take a real hit. There are plenty of folks like me who (at least for now) like the small form factor of my 300. The iPad will however seriously hurt the "netbook" invasion. I predict declining netbook sales from here on out. The $499 price point is just too good.....
Bremen Cole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 01:21 PM   #56
DawnFalcon
Banned
DawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with others

Device: N/A
Apparently the ASUS 9" reader will be in the $/£250 range.

Guess SiPix really is that much cheaper. The e-ink devices in the higher price range are just doomed...
DawnFalcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 02:00 PM   #57
dmaul1114
Wizard
dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by splendor View Post
me too, planned to spend $1200 to buy a Ipad, as a ereader+pda, but since it turned out to be back-lit display, im not even buying it for $499, disappointed
How did you ever possibly think the iPad would not be backlit? Everyone new from day one of the rumors that it was most likely going to be a large iTouch and focused on video and a multimedia experience. And a non-backlit screen would suck for that.
dmaul1114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 02:01 PM   #58
dmaul1114
Wizard
dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bremen Cole View Post
Agree with ac4lt, it is the large format readers that are going to take a real hit. There are plenty of folks like me who (at least for now) like the small form factor of my 300. The iPad will however seriously hurt the "netbook" invasion. I predict declining netbook sales from here on out. The $499 price point is just too good.....

Agreed. My Kindle is going no where. But the iPad killed any chance I ever by a large format e-ink reader like the DX or Que or iRex.

Those are just too limited when I can get something like this that can handle my PDF reading needs (don't need e-ink, or weeks of battery life for that like I do novels) and do so much more.

And on top of it, and $499 it seems like these tablets will be a lot less than things like the Que and Irex. Just a matter of waiting for one with good stylus support for me to take the plunge.
dmaul1114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 03:18 PM   #59
sociedaddelocio
Dr. Sybough Brick Ed.
sociedaddelocio began at the beginning.

Device: Cybook
I'm for the ipad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drezin View Post
Let me preface this by saying I may be COMPLETELY wrong in this prediction.

I don't think the ereader market should be too worried about the iPad, because from what I can tell, it isn't really an ereader. I think the largest allure for an ereader is the screen, which closely resembles paper. Without this, I'm not sure the iPad can be categorized with the usual ereader product. Personally, I have no desire to do my pleasure reading from an LCD (or LED, whatever it is) screen. Plus, factor in the battery life this thing will surely be sucking down, and I jusr don't see the ereader market being hit too hard.
You are complety wrong,and you have to admit and accept it in the next three years.
Ebooks reader makers should be worried; in fact, I have noticed how some of them have started price adjustment.
Beside of reading we are going to do much more things on an ipad. The led screen is reasonable for reading at least you keep reading more than 8 hours straight (how many people spent hours in front of their computers whose screens are actually led? are they complaining about that?) So far led screens have been implemented they seem work nicely even for just reading.
I'm not a MAC sissy or whatever. I don't own a damn Ipod (do you?!) but I'd like to back in time, get back the money I payed for my boring 4 greyscaled outdoor readable e-ink screen and buy a new brand, multifunctional ipad.
sociedaddelocio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 05:13 PM   #60
fugazied
Wizard
fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: iPod Touch
The iPad might gain many customers who read magazines, comics, newspapers in addition to plain print books. Those other print mediums would benefit greatly from a 9.7" color display.

For those other formats the iPad is far ahead of any reader I can think of. Being able to use the iPad to interactively read a national geographic or encyclopedia with your child - would be fantastic.

If you just read plain text books, might as well stick with a kindle. But if you want internet, video, music, apps as well then it is a compelling upgrade.
fugazied is offline   Reply With Quote