Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Sigil

Notices

Old 01-05-2018, 12:45 PM   #16
KevinH
Sigil Developer
KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: many
Please check out the old manual about using "clips". You can build a useful editing clip library to speed up all kinds of things and apply key sequences to them. Clips can be easily used to replace most of what the style toolbar is doing.

Perhaps a few experts in using clips will pipe in with some examples and useful snippets.

Last edited by KevinH; 01-05-2018 at 03:18 PM.
KevinH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2018, 02:13 PM   #17
Turtle91
A Hairy Wizard
Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 11/X/6/iPad 1,2,Air & Air Pro/Surface Pro/Kindle PW & Fire
^^^ +1

Clips are incredibly useful. Here is a screenshot of some of the clips I have made. These are highly customizable and I use them constantly to save on keystrokes. I have them displayed as a toolbar in place of some standard toolbars. You can also display it as a dockable window.

The <p></p> tags you were asking about can be done a couple different ways depending on if you want to keep the highlighted information when inserting the tags. I use the second method as you can see in the attachment.

Code:
<p></p>  will simply insert the tags
<p>\1</p>  will put the tags around whatever you have highlighted
Cheers!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	clips.jpg
Views:	176
Size:	57.6 KB
ID:	161290  
Turtle91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-05-2018, 05:41 PM   #18
Doitsu
Grand Sorcerer
Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Harper View Post
I would like to also get rid of the h1 ... h6 p toolbar too, and I could if there were a <p><p/> key option.
Sigi comes with a couple of example clips, including clips for wrapping text in h1-h4 and p tags.

To display them select Tools > Clip Editor > Example clips.

You can also assign keyboard shortcuts to the first 20 clips that are not in a group. I.e., you'd have to move/or recreate the sample clips that you want to use above the first group.
By default, the keyboard shortcut for clips is CTRL+ALT and the clip number. E.g. CTRL+ALT+1 for the first clip. However, you can assign other keyboard shortcuts to clips via Edit > Preferences > Keyboard Shortcuts.
Doitsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2018, 08:46 AM   #19
Notjohn
mostly an observer
Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Let me interject here that since Preview Panel was added to Sigil, I almost never have occasion even to LOOK at Book View. (I say "almost never" because if there are hyperlinks to a web page in a book, I do run a check in Book View to ensure that all the urls do indeed open the desired web page.) For me, Preview Panel docked so that it uses about two-fifths of my monitor screen has turned Sigil into a WYSIWYG software and increased my affection for it beyond the already-high level of regard I have for it.
Notjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2018, 03:16 PM   #20
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
The only use I make of BV, is to trigger and locate Pink Box errors (which I fix in CV)
I usually leave preview up on one of my other monitors (for an istant confirmation that my latest improvement is not a . )
theducks is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-08-2018, 02:33 AM   #21
GrannyGrump
Obsessively Dedicated...
GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T2, ADE on PC
The ONLY thing I really miss about the OLD BookView (v 5.x, I think) was the ability to Search in BookView. (I have whined about this before...)

I used BV to search out and kill stray characters from OCR errors that also happen to be elements of tags. that is:

= " < > /

Because my mind does not function well for REGEX (I need cookbook samples to copy&paste) I have never been able to devise any search to squelch those gremlins. So, I either must search manually through CodeView, or copy the text without tags into a text editor and go hunting there.

Perhaps some kind soul can advise an efficient S & R for such that works within CodeView? It would be your good deed for 2018!
GrannyGrump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2018, 05:21 AM   #22
roger64
Wizard
roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW3 (wifi)
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrannyGrump View Post

Perhaps some kind soul can advise an efficient S & R for such that works within CodeView? It would be your good deed for 2018!
I hope I do not offend anyone with this advice.

You just can do that using the Calibre editor, choose Search menu, and select "search outside of the html tags". A dedicated search field is displayed.
1. - First select your search text on the Preview pane in the right of the screenshot, without bothering about possible tags.
2. - Second, use the dedicated search field in "normal mode" (left of the screenshot) to paste this search text.
3. - Code view result is in the middle.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture du 2018-01-08 18-23-19.png
Views:	147
Size:	187.1 KB
ID:	161364  

Last edited by roger64; 01-08-2018 at 05:49 AM. Reason: 1 2 3
roger64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2018, 06:26 AM   #23
Thasaidon
Hedge Wizard
Thasaidon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thasaidon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thasaidon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thasaidon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thasaidon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thasaidon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thasaidon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thasaidon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thasaidon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thasaidon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thasaidon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Nook Simple
Hi

I use book view instead of Preview because I am used to using the Book View icon. I am waaaay out of practise with most keyboard shortcuts.

I have managed to more or less stop editing in book view.

Any chance of having the Preview as a permanent tab on the code view or an icon to toggle between Preview and Code View (similar to how you can toggle between Code and Book views). I cannot configure the current dockable Preview and other windows to make a screen that I can work with.
Thasaidon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2018, 06:48 AM   #24
GrannyGrump
Obsessively Dedicated...
GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

roger, thank you so much for that tip! I will confess, I only use Calibre for conversion and library organization. I have never used the Editor. (I guess I should get familiar with it, there are probably a few features that would be useful sometimes.)

thanks again, and hope you are having a prosperous New Year.
Old 01-08-2018, 08:15 AM   #25
Doitsu
Grand Sorcerer
Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrannyGrump View Post
Because my mind does not function well for REGEX (I need cookbook samples to copy&paste) [...]
The following simple regex will look for one or more letters followed by = " < > / and one or more letters.

Code:
[[:alpha:]]+[=|"|<|>|/][[:alpha:]]+
E.g., it'll find te"st but not "test"

You'll many more recipes in the Regex examples thread. If you post your question there, one of the MR regex experts will come up with a bespoke regex for you.
Doitsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2018, 09:08 AM   #26
GrannyGrump
Obsessively Dedicated...

Thank you, Doitsu. I will give yours a try, and see where I land. I have two texts on hand right now that need a cleaning, so that will give it a work-out.
Old 01-08-2018, 03:08 PM   #27
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thasaidon View Post
Any chance of having the Preview as a permanent tab on the code view or an icon to toggle between Preview and Code View (similar to how you can toggle between Code and Book views). I cannot configure the current dockable Preview and other windows to make a screen that I can work with.
How about making the Preview window free floating (undocked) and toggling it with F10?

BR
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2018, 04:49 PM   #28
MickiTee
Guru
MickiTee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickiTee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickiTee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickiTee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickiTee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickiTee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickiTee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickiTee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickiTee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickiTee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickiTee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, Pocketbook TL3, TL4, TL5
Quote:
Originally Posted by BetterRed View Post
How about making the Preview window free floating (undocked) and toggling it with F10?
BR
+1

And would it be possible to do something similar with the Reports window? It's really time consuming to have to export the data from a tab, open a spreadsheet and then import the saved data, especially for Classes and Links.
MickiTee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2018, 05:16 PM   #29
KevinH
Sigil Developer
KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: many
Most of the Windows in Sigil are dockable. So what BetterRed was suggesting can actually be done right now. Effectively addressing the user's request with no changes needed.
KevinH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2018, 08:25 PM   #30
Thasaidon
Hedge Wizard
Thasaidon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thasaidon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thasaidon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thasaidon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thasaidon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thasaidon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thasaidon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thasaidon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thasaidon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thasaidon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thasaidon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Nook Simple
I have problems with how the windows in Sigil dock.

I cannot get the windows in Sigil to dock in 3 vertical columns i.e. col1 file browser and TOC, col2 code view and Col3 Preview.

I also cannot get Sigil windows to dock in 1 vertical column from top to bottom of the area (file browser & TOC) and the remaining area split into two equal rows for code view and preview.

My Ideal change would be to have Preview replace Book view, be brought up from the current Book View Icon and be the same size and in the same position as the Current Book View. The current limitations on editing would remain.

The current Book view (if you decide to keep it) could be brought up by a hot key.

Such a change would perhaps help wean people off using the Book view and allow it to be finally disposed of.

Last edited by Thasaidon; 01-08-2018 at 08:26 PM. Reason: Added missing word
Thasaidon is offline   Reply With Quote