Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Sigil

Notices

Old 12-14-2017, 08:50 PM   #16
slowsmile
Witchman
slowsmile ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slowsmile ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slowsmile ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slowsmile ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slowsmile ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slowsmile ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slowsmile ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slowsmile ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slowsmile ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slowsmile ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slowsmile ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Android S5
@DiapDealer...What you say is certainly true for epub 3 ebooks for epub-only vendors(that don't use proprietary versions of the epub standard). But html code in blackest's thumbnail also contains the following tags: section, figure, figcaption etc and I'm not sure that those tags would work on Kindle's proprietary version of epub 3 because they are not listed in Kindle's supported html tags list. Perhaps I've got it wrong(Kindle tag list out of date?) but I think Hitch would probably know more about this.

Last edited by slowsmile; 12-14-2017 at 09:15 PM.
slowsmile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2017, 08:59 PM   #17
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
This is the first I've heard that Kindlebook considerations were in play in this thread.

Last edited by DiapDealer; 12-14-2017 at 09:05 PM.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-26-2017, 09:12 AM   #18
KevinH
Sigil Developer
KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: many
One other question:

How should embedded fonts be handled if saving to a folder or reading from a folder when it comes to obfuscating the fonts.

Fonts are stored un-obfuscated when an epub is being edited inside Sigil and obfuscated with either the idpf or adobe obfuscation algos when output as an epub (as controlled by the encryption.xml file).

If this tool is meant to be used with git or other content management systems and the main book id is ever changed outside of Sigil, if fonts are stored as obfuscated, they will be lost.

So I am leaning toward storing to a folder and reading from a folder to assume any embedded fonts are stored unobfuscated along with an encryption.xml file that explains how the user wants them to be obfuscated if ever written out to an actual epub.

Alternatively, fonts could be stored and loaded as obfuscated if specified by the encryption.xml file, but then the user must be very very careful in editing the opf or trying to change or edit the fonts when outside Sigil.

What would be the best approach?
KevinH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2017, 02:14 PM   #19
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2, iPad, KFire, PPW, Voyage, NookColor. 2 Droid, Oasis, Boox Note2
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinH View Post
One other question:

How should embedded fonts be handled if saving to a folder or reading from a folder when it comes to obfuscating the fonts.

<snippety-snip-snip-snip>

What would be the best approach?

Hi:

I can't speak for anyone else, but we never use the built-in obfuscation, simply because it renders (ha!) the ePUB unusable for our clients. We can't upload them at B&N, iBooks, KoboBooks, GooglePlay, and we can't build MOBIs from them. We subset fonts instead, which is, for all intents and purposes and legalities, the equivalent.

I would urge a move away from trying to make the obfuscation "your" problem, leaving it instead to the bookmaker to take the extra care, if they decide to work as you've described, tweaking the file/OPF/fonts after the fonts have been obfuscated (which, even with subsetting, is always a problem).

I don't see a reasonably safe or simple way that you can solve that--the moment you tweak content, you wreak havoc, potentially, with the obfuscation OR subsetting. This is on the bookmaker, not the software. It should always be the truly-last thing you do, for obvious reasons, and if a client comes back with more edits--and whose don't?--you just slap the entire font file in, make the changes and either obfuscate or subset again. How else, realistically, can it be done, if you think about the mechanics?

Hitch
Hitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2017, 02:27 PM   #20
KevinH
Sigil Developer
KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Hi Hitch,
I agree given that a folder is not a final format for an epub. So for any embedded font files saved to a folder, I will leave them unobfuscated so that after final editing, the user can decide to obfuscate them or subset them as they see fit.

So to keep things parallel, a plugin loading from a folder, I will assume any embedded fonts are already unobfuscated.

Thanks for the feedback.

KevinH
Advert
Old 12-26-2017, 03:22 PM   #21
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2, iPad, KFire, PPW, Voyage, NookColor. 2 Droid, Oasis, Boox Note2
Quote:
Hi Hitch,
I agree given that a folder is not a final format for an epub. So for any embedded font files saved to a folder, I will leave them unobfuscated so that after final editing, the user can decide to obfuscate them or subset them as they see fit.

So to keep things parallel, a plugin loading from a folder, I will assume any embedded fonts are already unobfuscated.

Thanks for the feedback.

KevinH
You bet. Despite all my other failings--never enough time to do the things I want--I did want to give you feedback on this, as embedded fonts are a specialty area of ours; one of the reasons that the clients that come to us, do so. Believe me, I've tried a dozen ways to shortcut the "twiddly" parts around fonts, but the bottom line is, unless you're working from a print title--which means that the book shan't really change--there's just SFA you can do to facilitate changes that don't then require rebuilding the font folders/files, as obfuscated or subset, etc.

I'm sure that others have a ton of suggestions--and maybe better ones, no argument--but mine are from the day-to-day working grind of dealing with fonts in commercial environments/production.

Happy to be of help, when I'm able. (And I think that BOTH of us should be taking more time off.)

Hitch
Hitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2017, 08:21 AM   #22
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
I would probably just make it clear that any fonts will be assumed to be unobfuscated (loading or saving). Users would just have to learn to saving obfuscating (if they must do it themselves) for the "final" product. I don't think I'd worry about doing anything but copying font files from/to their destinations in your proposed plugins.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2017, 11:07 AM   #23
KevinH
Sigil Developer

FolderIn and FolderOut Plugins: Betas for Testing and Feedback

Okay, attached are two new plugins. They should be considered BETA level. I am posting them here to get feedback on what else needs to done to make them work better.

Please give them a try and let us know what you think, what other features are needed, etc.

Edit: plugin zip archives removed - moved to the official plugin thread here:

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=293649

Last edited by KevinH; 01-05-2018 at 12:13 PM. Reason: Updated to point to the FolderIn and FolderOut Plugin Thread
Old 12-30-2017, 12:44 AM   #24
odamizu
just an egg
odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, iOS
Wow! The Sigil holiday treats keep coming! Thank you for these plugins. I gave them a quick try on a couple ebooks and they worked fine for me.

Happy New Year to you KevinH, DiapDealer and everyone else who has helped make Sigil such a wonderful program!
odamizu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2018, 11:23 AM   #25
blackest
Connoisseur
blackest began at the beginning.

Device: sony prs 2
Quote:
Okay, attached are two new plugins. They should be considered BETA level. I am posting them here to get feedback on what else needs to done to make them work better.

Please give them a try and let us know what you think, what other features are needed, etc.
Thank You for the new Sigil and these 2 plugins, I have great hope this will speed up development and help nail what is out of control faster

Hopefully I will be having a better time with epub3 this year.
blackest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2018, 11:30 AM   #26
KevinH
Sigil Developer

If there are no improvement suggestions, I will move them to their own thread and add them to the Sigil Plugin Index

Done

Last edited by KevinH; 01-05-2018 at 12:13 PM.
Old 01-05-2018, 03:40 PM   #27
jcsalomon
Zealot
jcsalomon can extract oil from cheesejcsalomon can extract oil from cheesejcsalomon can extract oil from cheesejcsalomon can extract oil from cheesejcsalomon can extract oil from cheesejcsalomon can extract oil from cheesejcsalomon can extract oil from cheesejcsalomon can extract oil from cheesejcsalomon can extract oil from cheese

Device: Bookari (née Mantano Reader) on Android; Kindle Fire HD
The OK button works oddly: after a successful folder import or export, I expect OK to dismiss the plugin; instead it tries to go again.
jcsalomon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2018, 04:00 PM   #28
KevinH
Sigil Developer

No, that is a actually a new Sigil bug caused when the extended plugin icons were added and already fixed in master. To prevent the problem from happening, after installing a new plugin, always restart Sigil before trying to run the plugins. Once restarted, the plugins operate as they should.

Tags
unzipping, zipping