Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 08-02-2016, 08:32 AM   #16
shalym
Wizard
shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW 1, 2, 3, Voyage, Oasis 2 & 3, Fires, Aura HD, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterT View Post
Josie; powering the device off DOES a proper reboot. The o/s shuts down on power off and restarts when power is restored. This is NOT a Kindle with its idiosyncratic reboot.
What "idiosyncratic reboot"? If I hold the power button for a few seconds, a box pops up and says "Please select from the following options" and the options are "Cancel", "Restart", or "Screen Off". I can also restart from the settings menu if I want to.

With my Aura HD, I slide the power switch and hold it for a few seconds, the screen saver changes to say "Powered off", and then I slide the power switch again, hold it for a few seconds and let it go to get it to power back on.

I don't understand how the Kindle is "idiosyncratic"?

Shari
shalym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2016, 08:58 AM   #17
Josieb1
Grand Sorcerer
Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Libra2, Clara 2e, Kindle PW SE & Kindle 2022
Quote:
Originally Posted by shalym View Post
What "idiosyncratic reboot"? If I hold the power button for a few seconds, a box pops up and says "Please select from the following options" and the options are "Cancel", "Restart", or "Screen Off". I can also restart from the settings menu if I want to.

With my Aura HD, I slide the power switch and hold it for a few seconds, the screen saver changes to say "Powered off", and then I slide the power switch again, hold it for a few seconds and let it go to get it to power back on.

I don't understand how the Kindle is "idiosyncratic"?

Shari
I also like the kindle options Shari.

Thanks for explaining about the power switch. The GLO has a push down button, I'll try that later.
Josieb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-02-2016, 10:02 AM   #18
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josieb1 View Post
I also like the kindle options Shari.

Thanks for explaining about the power switch. The GLO has a push down button, I'll try that later.
The power switch or button on the Kobo's all work the same way:
  • A quick push puts it to sleep.
  • Hold it in the off position for a few seconds and it shuts down. This is the proper way to turn the device off as it lets nickel save the database and close properly and will display the "Powered off" message.
  • Hold it for 10 seconds or more and it is forced off. This is the brute force method to turn the device off as it doesn't let the nickel do anything including updating the screen.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2016, 10:12 AM   #19
Josieb1
Grand Sorcerer
Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Libra2, Clara 2e, Kindle PW SE & Kindle 2022
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
The power switch or button on the Kobo's all work the same way:
  • A quick push puts it to sleep.
  • Hold it in the off position for a few seconds and it shuts down. This is the proper way to turn the device off as it lets nickel save the database and close properly and will display the "Powered off" message.
  • Hold it for 10 seconds or more and it is forced off. This is the brute force method to turn the device off as it doesn't let the nickel do anything including updating the screen.

I've got it now, thanks again. I had the info pane turned off so couldn't tell the difference between sleep mode and powered off. I've now turned the info pane on and can see the words powered off if I hold the button down for a few seconds. I'll do that from now on when I'm going to be away from the GLO for a while. So far the battery is holding up.

Last edited by Josieb1; 08-02-2016 at 10:23 AM.
Josieb1 is offline   Reply With Quote