Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 10-03-2015, 09:03 AM   #1
endrancer
Enthusiast
endrancer , Klaatu Barada Niktu!endrancer , Klaatu Barada Niktu!endrancer , Klaatu Barada Niktu!endrancer , Klaatu Barada Niktu!endrancer , Klaatu Barada Niktu!endrancer , Klaatu Barada Niktu!endrancer , Klaatu Barada Niktu!endrancer , Klaatu Barada Niktu!endrancer , Klaatu Barada Niktu!endrancer , Klaatu Barada Niktu!endrancer , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Angry Glo HD 3.18.0 Battery Drain Bug with Sync?

Hey,

I have been wondering, since 3.18.0 when leaving my kobo in standby I was shocked to see my battery falling down to 10% within one day. First I thought it might have activated itself in my cover using the brightness on max however this theory is destroyed today as I found my kobo being 45 % after I recharged in completely in just a day.

When accessing the kobo I saw it was trying to sync files (look for updates, check out if there are new pocket items ) when pushing the sync button several times again, I found that nothing happened. And on the Statusbar I could see the Sync coloumn trying to do it's thing. The "last sync" information showed date with when the sync actually completed the last time.

I just rebooted my device (without pin though the hole) and it seems now not trying to sync for itself and I could finish a sync manually.

So I am wondering if this is a known bug, if anyone else experienced this issue.
endrancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2015, 02:38 PM   #2
GeoffR
Wizard
GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo
I've seen no difference in battery life with 3.18.0 on my Glo than with any other firmware version, but I always turn off wi-fi when I have finished using it.

The sync has changed since 3.16.0 though, in that it now runs in the background, so even if the status bar says sync complete, it could actually still be running. The only way to be sure sync is not running is to turn off wi-fi manually. The problem in 3.18.0 is that there is no way to be sure whether sync has actually finished, and turning off wi-fi will cancel the background sync without asking for confirmation.
GeoffR is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-03-2015, 02:47 PM   #3
Ripplinger
350 Hoarder
Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-350, Kobo Glo & Glo HD, PW2
I do the same as GeoffR, sync to get the new firmware and then turn off wifi. When Kobo adds books to the reader, it messes up my system and collections, so I sideload all of my books always. So I haven't (and most likely wouldn't) notice anything odd about battery drain.
Ripplinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2015, 02:56 PM   #4
robko
Wizard
robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffR View Post
The sync has changed since 3.16.0 though, in that it now runs in the background, so even if the status bar says sync complete, it could actually still be running. The only way to be sure sync is not running is to turn off wi-fi manually. The problem in 3.18.0 is that there is no way to be sure whether sync has actually finished, and turning off wi-fi will cancel the background sync without asking for confirmation.
From what I've seen it appears to be changed back to pre-3.16 behaviour in 3.18. Once again the sync complete indication doesn't seem to appear until it truly is done syncing. Maybe I'm wrong on that, but that's what I thought I was seeing.
robko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2015, 03:21 PM   #5
GeoffR
Wizard
GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo
Quote:
Originally Posted by robko View Post
From what I've seen it appears to be changed back to pre-3.16 behaviour in 3.18. Once again the sync complete indication doesn't seem to appear until it truly is done syncing. Maybe I'm wrong on that, but that's what I thought I was seeing.
What I see is the "Sync Complete" message appears, then about five seconds later the recommendations tile appears. If I turn off wi-fi straight after "Sync Complete" then the recommendations tile doesn't appear, so that makes me think the sync was interrupted by turning off wi-fi.
GeoffR is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-05-2015, 07:36 AM   #6
endrancer
Enthusiast
endrancer , Klaatu Barada Niktu!endrancer , Klaatu Barada Niktu!endrancer , Klaatu Barada Niktu!endrancer , Klaatu Barada Niktu!endrancer , Klaatu Barada Niktu!endrancer , Klaatu Barada Niktu!endrancer , Klaatu Barada Niktu!endrancer , Klaatu Barada Niktu!endrancer , Klaatu Barada Niktu!endrancer , Klaatu Barada Niktu!endrancer , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

Device: Kobo Glo HD
For the time being when Wifi is turned off my battery really not decreasing too much, I still assume it's connected to syncing being stuck at some point.
endrancer is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
battery, bug, drain, sync