Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Library Management

Notices

Old 07-24-2015, 02:20 PM   #1
ohowsherocks
ohowsherocks began at the beginning.

Device: Calibre Portable
How do you organize books with more than one series?

Hi! This is my first post here. I use Calibre Portable on a USB to use at home & work. I organize my Calibre by Title then Series.
I have a couple of books that are part of two different series. (Cross overs to a more popular series to get more readers.) I would like them to be part of both series. Am I just going to have to add the book twice and make one series 1 and the other series 2?

Thank you in advance for your opinion.
T
ohowsherocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2015, 02:40 PM   #2
PandathePanda
a toy panda
PandathePanda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PandathePanda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PandathePanda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PandathePanda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PandathePanda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PandathePanda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PandathePanda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PandathePanda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PandathePanda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PandathePanda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PandathePanda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various Android dvices
What I did was add a custom column in calibre, based on the series column. And called it series 2. I use series 1 for the main series and series 2 for sub series.
PandathePanda is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-24-2015, 03:09 PM   #3
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by PandathePanda View Post
What I did was add a custom column in calibre, based on the series column. And called it series 2. I use series 1 for the main series and series 2 for sub series.
This can work, although it can get problematic with anthologies that contain stuff from five or six series.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2015, 03:36 PM   #4
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnemicOak View Post
This can work, although it can get problematic with anthologies that contain stuff from five or six series.
When that happens (>2)

EPUB Split

Sub series is Hirarchial pern.dragonriders
Xover series uses the second series type column. Joanna Brady + J P Beaumont

<Mix of Series> (in one of the series columns) for those I don't care to track

Remember to adjust the Similar series search in:
preferences: Searching: (at the bottom)
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2015, 04:23 PM   #5
MSWallack
Right, Except When Wrong
MSWallack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MSWallack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MSWallack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MSWallack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MSWallack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MSWallack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MSWallack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MSWallack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MSWallack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MSWallack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MSWallack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3 (sometimes iPad Mini).
I usually just build a small cave and crawl into it and cry about how unfair the universe is. It's much easier and more satisfying than trying to find a good way to track books that are part of multiple series.
MSWallack is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-25-2015, 05:56 PM   #6
ohowsherocks
ohowsherocks began at the beginning.

Device: Calibre Portable
Quote:
Originally Posted by PandathePanda View Post
I did not know I could make a custom column. Thanks.
ohowsherocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2015, 12:07 AM   #7
LadyKate
Fanatic
LadyKate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LadyKate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LadyKate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LadyKate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LadyKate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LadyKate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LadyKate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LadyKate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LadyKate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LadyKate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LadyKate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: android 4 (samsung tablet and asus tablet)
If it is two distinct series which will not be in the same directory on my sd card (I save all my books to read on sd in directories by author except for anthologies and multiple author series) then I will make a copy and have two entries for the same book with the different series info.

I will make sure to mark the books as an exemption in the find duplicates plugin.

I use the directory structure on my sd card because I find the way the majority of ebook readers handle the author/ title info to be a bit of a pain if you have more than a few hundred books on your system. For me, (not advocating my methods for others) I find it easiest to choose the next book to read by using the "go to file system" option in the various android ereaders I use.

Calibre makes it so easy to save my books in the location and with the file name and directory structure I prefer.
LadyKate is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
book series, multiple