Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 02-27-2014, 02:25 AM   #1
exachillus
Banned
exachillus once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.exachillus once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.exachillus once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.exachillus once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.exachillus once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.exachillus once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.exachillus once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.exachillus once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.exachillus once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.exachillus once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.exachillus once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Nook
Quick battery drain with Kobo Aura HD?

Hi

I have an Aura HD which I like but I feel like the battery on this is draining much faster, maybe 2x of what my Glo is. I mean it si not so terrible, it is not like it drains in a day like a tablet does but this is relatively new like 2 months old and I was not expecting such issue.

Does anyone else feel in a similar way with their Aura?

thanks
exachillus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2014, 04:59 AM   #2
Athropos
Connoisseur
Athropos can differentiate black from dark navy blueAthropos can differentiate black from dark navy blueAthropos can differentiate black from dark navy blueAthropos can differentiate black from dark navy blueAthropos can differentiate black from dark navy blueAthropos can differentiate black from dark navy blueAthropos can differentiate black from dark navy blueAthropos can differentiate black from dark navy blueAthropos can differentiate black from dark navy blueAthropos can differentiate black from dark navy blueAthropos can differentiate black from dark navy blue

Device: Aura HD
I usually take note of the total reading hours when I charge my Aura HD, so I know I get around 30 hours per charge. I've been using it since October 2013.
Athropos is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-27-2014, 06:43 AM   #3
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer
booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara, 2E, Libre, PW4, PW5, 2022 Kindle
I've only had mine 4 days. I did notice a surprisingly fast battery drain, but that was after I loaded a few hundred books at once, and it seems to be fine, now.
booklover6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2014, 12:17 PM   #4
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by booklover6 View Post
I've only had mine 4 days. I did notice a surprisingly fast battery drain, but that was after I loaded a few hundred books at once, and it seems to be fine, now.

Indexing always drains your battery. You should do that when the unit is plugged in, then go to bed and read a good book.

Tomorrow, when you wake up, your troubles will be gone, like yesterday's dirty laundry.
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2014, 12:44 PM   #5
robko
Wizard
robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Drib View Post
Indexing always drains your battery. You should do that when the unit is plugged in, then go to bed and read a good book.
That may be the case with Sony or Kindle, but Kobo doesn't index the books so this does not apply.
robko is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-27-2014, 01:42 PM   #6
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by robko View Post
That may be the case with Sony or Kindle, but Kobo doesn't index the books so this does not apply.
Thank you. I didn't realize that.

What about his dirty laundry?
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2014, 01:57 PM   #7
samhy
Wizard
samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: (Sony (J) PRS 650), Kobo Mini, Kobo Glo HD
Did you calibrate the battery with two full charge/discharge?
Also are you syncing often pocket articles or reading updates?
Those are battery drainers.
If you think something is wrong with your unit, maybe something is actually wrong. Any figure is welcome, to try and see how your Aura HD behaves

Other than that, do you like it? How does it compare to your Glo (if it compares)?
samhy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2014, 07:56 PM   #8
meeera
Grand Sorcerer
meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, iPadMini4, iPad4, MBP; support other Kobo/Kindles
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Drib View Post
Tomorrow, when you wake up, your troubles will be gone, like yesterday's dirty laundry.
Bugger the battery life issue, I want to know how to make yesterday's dirty laundry disappear while I sleep. And the day before that, and the day before that...
meeera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2014, 09:27 PM   #9
speakingtohe
Wizard
speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony PRS-T1 and T3, Kobo Mini and Aura HD, Tablet
Quote:
Originally Posted by meeera View Post
Bugger the battery life issue, I want to know how to make yesterday's dirty laundry disappear while I sleep. And the day before that, and the day before that...
Me too and the dirty dishes.

Helen
speakingtohe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2014, 09:30 PM   #10
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
I'd rather just want to know how to get it to warm up...
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2014, 09:57 PM   #11
speakingtohe
Wizard
speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Both my Aura HD and Mini have suddenly discharged completely from fully or half charged state and were not connected to anything while doing so. Different firmware versions so I am not inclined to put the blame there.

It is annoying but has happened only three times total in a year.

When I first got my mini (Oct 2012) I used to keep track as it could stay at 97 % for days or drop 10% in an hour. I calibrated, reset etc, and could not find a pattern.

With Wifi and light off you should get close to 30 hours reading, but I wouldn't about less than 25 or perhaps even 20 if the light and wifi are on.

My experience has been that the meter percentage shown goes down faster at a lower level, but I have seen an initial drop of 20-30% on the HD while loading content or a firmware upgrade. Used to almost always do this, and maybe still does. But I would recharge in a disconnected state and it would be good for pretty close to the 30 hours or longer.

A good test would be to read for 10 hours and see where the battery level is. Should still be over 50% unless it goes into fibrillation mode with the little boxes.

Helen
Old 02-27-2014, 09:57 PM   #12
speakingtohe
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterT View Post
I'd rather just want to know how to get it to warm up...
Move to Vancouver
Weather was lovely today.

Helen
Old 03-02-2014, 11:20 PM   #13
exachillus
Banned
exachillus once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.exachillus once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.exachillus once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.exachillus once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.exachillus once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.exachillus once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.exachillus once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.exachillus once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.exachillus once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.exachillus once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.exachillus once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Nook
Quote:
Originally Posted by samhy View Post
Did you calibrate the battery with two full charge/discharge?
Also are you syncing often pocket articles or reading updates?
Those are battery drainers.
If you think something is wrong with your unit, maybe something is actually wrong. Any figure is welcome, to try and see how your Aura HD behaves

Other than that, do you like it? How does it compare to your Glo (if it compares)?
Hi

I do not sync, I do not use wifi, I do not do reading stats etc. I just put my books once in a long time and read like normal ereader 30-90 mins periods a day generally.

I like Aura HD, more resolution helps with the pages. I prefer it over my Glod but Glo is a nice device as well.
exachillus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 04:57 AM   #14
samhy
Wizard
samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: (Sony (J) PRS 650), Kobo Mini, Kobo Glo HD
Thanks exachillus for the answers.
Do you have any idea of how many hours you can read between two charges?
samhy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2014, 10:02 PM   #15
dmapr
Evangelist
dmapr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmapr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmapr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmapr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmapr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmapr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmapr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmapr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmapr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmapr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmapr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Kobo Aura One
I've finally tracked down my battery drain to the presence of an SD card. With the SD card inserted I would get to <50% in one week with about 5 hours of reading. Removed the SD card, and now I'm back to a much more pleasant 90% remaining in the same time frame with the same amount of reading.

Funny thing is, I never actually put anything on the SD card, it was empty.
dmapr is offline   Reply With Quote