Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 10-05-2019, 09:22 AM   #1
bob.f
Connoisseur
bob.f has a thesaurus and is not afraid to use it!bob.f has a thesaurus and is not afraid to use it!bob.f has a thesaurus and is not afraid to use it!bob.f has a thesaurus and is not afraid to use it!bob.f has a thesaurus and is not afraid to use it!bob.f has a thesaurus and is not afraid to use it!bob.f has a thesaurus and is not afraid to use it!bob.f has a thesaurus and is not afraid to use it!bob.f has a thesaurus and is not afraid to use it!bob.f has a thesaurus and is not afraid to use it!bob.f has a thesaurus and is not afraid to use it!

Device: N/A
Is installing multiple versions supported?

Hi,

I recently upgraded from 3.48 to 4.0 and have decided that it was a bad idea. Not because of anything inherently wrong with 4.0, it's more that I like to ease myself in to new major releases over a period of time, whilst still having access to the previous version.

What I'd like to do is to have 3.48 and 4.0 installed concurrently, pointing to the same book library. Obviously I would only run one at a time.

Is what I want achievable? If so my plan is to:

1. Back up book library, including metadata* files

2. Install 3.48 (into different program folder!)

3. Create separate shortcut to start 3.48

I'd also like my plugins and as many settings to be the same in each instance.
bob.f is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2019, 09:33 AM   #2
thiago.eec
Guru
thiago.eec ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thiago.eec ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thiago.eec ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thiago.eec ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thiago.eec ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thiago.eec ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thiago.eec ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thiago.eec ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thiago.eec ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thiago.eec ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thiago.eec ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, Kindle Paperwhite
You can have two versions if one is 32bits and the other 64bits. Yes, they can point to the same library.
Also, you can use (not really install) a portable version. In this case, the library must be inside the portable folder.
thiago.eec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2019, 10:31 AM   #3
bob.f
Connoisseur
bob.f has a thesaurus and is not afraid to use it!bob.f has a thesaurus and is not afraid to use it!bob.f has a thesaurus and is not afraid to use it!bob.f has a thesaurus and is not afraid to use it!bob.f has a thesaurus and is not afraid to use it!bob.f has a thesaurus and is not afraid to use it!bob.f has a thesaurus and is not afraid to use it!bob.f has a thesaurus and is not afraid to use it!bob.f has a thesaurus and is not afraid to use it!bob.f has a thesaurus and is not afraid to use it!bob.f has a thesaurus and is not afraid to use it!

Device: N/A
Quote:
Originally Posted by thiago.eec View Post
You can have two versions if one is 32bits and the other 64bits. Yes, they can point to the same library.
Also, you can use (not really install) a portable version. In this case, the library must be inside the portable folder.
Thanks. What is the reason for not installing two 64 bit versions?
bob.f is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2019, 10:53 AM   #4
thiago.eec
Guru
thiago.eec ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thiago.eec ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thiago.eec ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thiago.eec ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thiago.eec ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thiago.eec ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thiago.eec ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thiago.eec ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thiago.eec ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thiago.eec ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thiago.eec ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by bob.f View Post
I don't actually know the technical reason.
thiago.eec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2019, 10:58 AM   #5
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by bob.f View Post
The would use the same (program) path and registration keys

Nothing stops you from using Portable with the PC Library. You just can't have it default there. (IIRC Portable is only 32 bit, but that would still allow you to have an alternate version at hand)
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2019, 04:55 PM   #6
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
↑ ↑ ↑ ✔

The Windows installer uses the registration keys (product code etc) to prevent multiple versions of the same program being installed - the 32bit and 64 bit versions have different registration codes, hence they can co-exist.

BR
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
installed, multiple, versions