Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 06-11-2016, 01:45 PM   #1
ursog
ursog began at the beginning.

Device: iPad
Calibre 2.58 hanging with El Capitan

Hi
Calibre has started to hang, no recent upgrades, but I have added about 5000 books. My library is about 28000 books.

I uninstalled Calibre and created an empty library, it worked fine.

Then, I redirected library to where all my books were stored and Calibre started to hang again with spinning wheel.

I noticed that after about 15 -30 minutes, it stops hanging for about 10 seconds which is long enough for me to shut it down.

Any ideas how to fix?
Thanks
ursog
ursog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2016, 01:58 PM   #2
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura2, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by ursog View Post
Hi
Calibre has started to hang, no recent upgrades, but I have added about 5000 books. My library is about 28000 books.

I uninstalled Calibre and created an empty library, it worked fine.

Then, I redirected library to where all my books were stored and Calibre started to hang again with spinning wheel.

I noticed that after about 15 -30 minutes, it stops hanging for about 10 seconds which is long enough for me to shut it down.

Any ideas how to fix?
Thanks
ursog
WAIT FOR KOVID. Do not attempt anything until he responds

I suspect the DB is damaged. Kovid will confirm (or deney), but he will have a good idea on a SIMPLE recovery.

If YOU try things without a plan, recovery can be difficult
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-11-2016, 11:06 PM   #3
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
First disable/uninstall all third party plugins you might have installed in calibre. Make sure your library is on an internal hard disk and not a network share/external harddisk with non-native filesystem.

Use the process monitor in your system to see which process if any is busy/using cpu.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2016, 10:18 AM   #4
DaltonST
Deviser
DaltonST ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaltonST ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaltonST ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaltonST ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaltonST ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaltonST ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaltonST ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaltonST ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaltonST ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaltonST ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaltonST ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 10" Win10 Tablet w/Calibre64, CalibreSpy & Freda+
@ursog:

Your metadata.db could easily be 100 times larger than it needs to be given your statements about numbers of books, and also assuming you updated their metadata frequently.

I suggest that you defragment/compress/vacuum the metadata.db file, and also do a file-system defrag on it.

To vacuum the metadata.db file from a batch file so you do not have to suffer a 30 minute wait for doing a "Library Maintenance > Check Library", try this with changes for OSX path conventions and the true name of your library.

Code:
calibre-debug -c "from calibre.library.database2 import LibraryDatabase2; db = LibraryDatabase2('S:\Calibre\QS\QuarantineAndScrub_Test0');db.conn.execute('VACUUM'); db.conn.close();"
Afterwards, defrag metadata.db in OSX.

DaltonST
DaltonST is offline   Reply With Quote