Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers

Notices

Old 03-07-2010, 11:55 AM   #1
imaredr
Collector
imaredr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.imaredr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.imaredr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.imaredr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.imaredr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.imaredr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.imaredr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.imaredr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.imaredr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.imaredr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.imaredr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook
Delstar OpenBook at Walgreens

I started to post this under the news thread, but wasn't sure if it belonged there (Don't want to get into trouble)

Anyway, I saw this in my Sunday paper. Walgreens is selling the Delstar Openbook E-book Reader with color LCD Screen. Right now it is available through online purchase only (not in stores). Regular price is $149.99, Sale price is $99.99 Here is a link to the site:

http://www.walgreens.com/store/catal...n=push-product

I had to pay $5 flat shipping fee plus tax .

I am amazed that now drug stores are selling ebook readers. Wow, things are changing. Maybe now that it is just under $100 more people will be willing to try ebooks. From what I can tell it doesn't support DRM, but there are people that prefer this. It does support these formats:

ANSI, UNICODE TXT, DOC, PDF, HTML, FB2, PDB, and EPUB

I had been waiting for the Simplicity reader that JC Penney had on their site, but that doesn't seems like it will ever happen. So this may be a good alternative.

Ellen

Last edited by imaredr; 03-09-2010 at 05:07 PM. Reason: info correction
imaredr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2010, 08:16 PM   #2
Bremen Cole
Wizard
Bremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with others

Device: iPad
Excellent find! After you get it, please do a mini review... battery life would be the downside that I see, but who knows....

One thing for sure, it looks like a good deal at $100....
Bremen Cole is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-08-2010, 08:29 AM   #3
imaredr
Collector
imaredr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.imaredr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.imaredr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.imaredr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.imaredr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.imaredr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.imaredr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.imaredr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.imaredr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.imaredr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.imaredr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bremen Cole View Post
Excellent find! After you get it, please do a mini review... battery life would be the downside that I see, but who knows....

One thing for sure, it looks like a good deal at $100....
I'll do a review. Right off I can say that this looks like it is targeted at the over 50 crowd (that includes me). I say this because of my ordering experience. It has actually got me excited. I haven't been like this about a reader in a long time.

Ellen
Old 03-08-2010, 09:12 AM   #4
ColdSun
Developer/Device Reviews
ColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongue

Device: Sony Xperia Tablet Z, Kindle Paperwhite 2, Lenovo Yoga 8, IPad 3
Ellen,

Where was this device a couple years ago!? Form factor: check. Format Support: check. I think I'll buy one of these. I wonder how good the screen quality is? Resolution seems good.
ColdSun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2010, 12:24 PM   #5
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
I'll be very interested in what you find. I'm tempted to order one myself in any case...while the price is right.
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-08-2010, 01:43 PM   #6
imaredr
Collector

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdSun View Post
Ellen,

Where was this device a couple years ago!? Form factor: check. Format Support: check. I think I'll buy one of these. I wonder how good the screen quality is? Resolution seems good.
I had to sit and stare for a moment when I saw the reader. At first I thought it was another Jetbook type device, but then as I read the specs, I was like where has this been hiding at. The last color dedicated device I bought was the Cybook 2nd Gen if I don't count the Jointech device. I can't wait to see this, from the description it is something I have been wanting for years. I hope it is as good as it sounds. I wonder if the device that JC Penny has on their site will ever materialize. Also Delstar had plans for a 7" device back during CES timeframe. I can't remember if I saw this at CES. I do know that Sungale has some color readers similar to this on display and are better than the Cyberus. I need to go through the photos I took and see if I took a couple. Still as always there is no guarantee they will come to market.

Ellen

Last edited by imaredr; 03-08-2010 at 04:48 PM. Reason: correction
Old 03-08-2010, 01:57 PM   #7
SCION
Séduisant
SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note Air2+; Kobo Libra2; Kindle Scribe, Oasis3; iPad Mini6
Battery life is 8 hours. That's respectable.

http://delstar.net/multi-function-de...ok-reader.html
SCION is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2010, 02:18 PM   #8
Katelyn
Addict
Katelyn has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Katelyn has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Katelyn has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Katelyn has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Pocketbook 360, Iphone 3g, Sony 505, REB1200, GEB1150
And they accept Paypal.
Katelyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2010, 02:55 PM   #9
jswinden
Nameless Being

Probably worth taking a chance on for $105 shipped. My only concern is that Google and Bing show almost no hits for this thing. I could not locate another distributer other than Walgreens. nor could I locate much on the specs, like what kind of OS and processor. I wonder if it is one of the devices listed under multiple names depending on which retailer you buy from? I did look through the manual (see SCION's link) and it does have some nice features and it looks as though it will be very easy to load files onto it. Plus it does have a File Manager. I noticed you could set the font color to Black, Blue, or Red, and the font size to Small, Medium, or Large. The backlight is adjustable. Like I said a good feature set for such a low price. I just wished there were some reviews out there.
Old 03-08-2010, 02:58 PM   #10
ColdSun
Developer/Device Reviews
ColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongue

Device: Sony Xperia Tablet Z, Kindle Paperwhite 2, Lenovo Yoga 8, IPad 3
Yeah, from the specs it looks like it is designed to get the job done. For that price, and the fact that it is available through Walgreens, I think it is worth the risk. I'm guessing a refund wouldn't be too hard from Walgreens.

I wish they had the black ones though. I might hold off on getting this until Ellen reviews it and there are more retailers carrying it. I'm thinking we will see other stores, perhaps like Fry's Electronics, start to carry it too. I would definately want a black one.
ColdSun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2010, 03:09 PM   #11
jswinden
Nameless Being

A couple of things that say caution to me: The manual lists the companies email address as Delstarswc@aol.com. What respectable electronics company would use AOL? That seems odd. Also, all the photos I see on the web and in the manual are of very low quality so it is difficult to tell how good the screen is or is not. But still, for $105 probably worth a gamble.

Here are some features from the manual:
  • Electronic books viewer and manager
  • Support for electronic books contents in multiple languages
  • Bookmarks and auto turn page functions
  • Adjustable font size
  • Supports screen rotation (portrait & landscape modes)
  • Built-in MP3 player that supports background playback
  • Picture viewer
  • 1 GB internal memory
  • SD slot for up to 2GB SD cards for storing books, music, and pictures
  • Compact and lightweight case
  • Internal Li-ion polymer rechargeable battery

Twice the manual states it can use up to 2GB SD cards, but later it states, "E-Reader supports Standard size SD cards of up to 16GB capacity for storing thousands of books, music and pictures." Even if 2GB is correct that is still a lot of space for books.

Last edited by jswinden; 03-08-2010 at 03:13 PM.
Old 03-08-2010, 03:11 PM   #12
Bremen Cole
Wizard
Bremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with others

I agree with jswinden, I wish there was a bit more info. I tried as well to get more info, but there is very little out there. I could not find even one review. Very tempting price, and thanks to Scion's link the 8 hour battery life would sure work for me..... somebody hurry up and get it so you can tell me if it's any good
Old 03-08-2010, 03:14 PM   #13
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by jswinden View Post
But still, for $105 probably worth a gamble.
Plus... you are ordering it from Walgreens not Delstar... so at least you know you are dealing with a real company and could probably return it if you had problems.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2010, 03:14 PM   #14
Bremen Cole
Wizard

Found something http://www.engadget.com/2009/12/31/p...color-lcd-dis/ If you read the little article you learn delstar is distributing it in the US, it's actually made by paradign-shift....

EDIT: I checked at the Walgreens site, and this one looks nothing like the one they show... so never mind.... but does that mean Delstar is distributing 2 different 5" and 7" readers? Confusing lack of info.........

Last edited by Bremen Cole; 03-08-2010 at 03:28 PM.
Old 03-08-2010, 03:40 PM   #15
jswinden
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bremen Cole View Post
Found something http://www.engadget.com/2009/12/31/p...color-lcd-dis/ If you read the little article you learn delstar is distributing it in the US, it's actually made by paradign-shift....

EDIT: I checked at the Walgreens site, and this one looks nothing like the one they show... so never mind.... but does that mean Delstar is distributing 2 different 5" and 7" readers? Confusing lack of info.........
A link on the page you found does have a closeup photo of the one shown on the Walgreens site, but it has "preliminary" stamped across it: see below:

Looks like the film covering the LCD is a bit bowed out of shape.

[edit] Another brief article: http://hothardware.com/News/Paradigm...For-Under-200/ [/edit]
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	paradign-p-s-7-e-reader_4.jpg
Views:	1049
Size:	233.3 KB
ID:	47547  

Last edited by jswinden; 03-08-2010 at 03:50 PM.