Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 07-21-2009, 11:42 PM   #1
Drezin
Connoisseur
Drezin rocks like Gibraltar!Drezin rocks like Gibraltar!Drezin rocks like Gibraltar!Drezin rocks like Gibraltar!Drezin rocks like Gibraltar!Drezin rocks like Gibraltar!Drezin rocks like Gibraltar!Drezin rocks like Gibraltar!Drezin rocks like Gibraltar!Drezin rocks like Gibraltar!Drezin rocks like Gibraltar!

Device: Sony PRS-505
Won't Charge

So, it's been about a month since I have used my PRS-505, and when I plug it in to charge, nothing happens. No light, nothin'. It seems to be completely dead. Has this happened to anyone else?
Drezin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2009, 12:46 AM   #2
richman
Addict
richman is on a distinguished road

Device: sony prs-505 *BLUE*,itouch,netbook
Just plug it in 5 hours and see if it comes back to life. I can not tell if you left it plugged in for 5 hours or just plugged it in and saw no light and unplugged it. Did you use usb or AC charger? It helps to explain all the steps you took , so people here can help you trouble shoot.
richman is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-22-2009, 01:03 AM   #3
doreenjoy
01000100 01001010
doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Polyamorous
Using the AC charger would work much better than the USB. Not sure which you tried.
doreenjoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2009, 01:15 AM   #4
Drezin
Connoisseur
Drezin rocks like Gibraltar!Drezin rocks like Gibraltar!Drezin rocks like Gibraltar!Drezin rocks like Gibraltar!Drezin rocks like Gibraltar!Drezin rocks like Gibraltar!Drezin rocks like Gibraltar!Drezin rocks like Gibraltar!Drezin rocks like Gibraltar!Drezin rocks like Gibraltar!Drezin rocks like Gibraltar!

I only have the USB charger. I plugged it in for about a half hour.

Tomorrow, I'm gonna test the USB cable to make sure the connection works (by using a PS3 controller to see if it charges) and once it does, as I'm sure it will because I just used it for said PS3 controller, I am going to plug it in and leave it plugged in all day. I'll let you know what happens.
Old 07-22-2009, 01:31 AM   #5
doreenjoy
01000100 01001010
doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Polyamorous
If the battery is very low or dead, it will take far longer than half an hour to get any power into it at all. I recommend you use the AC (or PSP) charger for a few hours to get the battery back up to snuff. The good news is, it should revive given enough time.
doreenjoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-22-2009, 03:08 AM   #6
ruth1304
Addict
ruth1304 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.ruth1304 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.ruth1304 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.ruth1304 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.ruth1304 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.ruth1304 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.ruth1304 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.ruth1304 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.ruth1304 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.ruth1304 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.ruth1304 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Waiting for a kindle!
Also, if you're plugging it into your computer you need to make sure that the computer stays active and doesn't hibernate etc as this can mean that the battery drains rather than charging.

It might be worth investing in a PSP wall charger - they're not too expensive and work well, plus you can keep reading whilst charging!
ruth1304 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2009, 10:41 AM   #7
dordale
Wizard
dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650 & 350; Kindle Voyage; Kobo Aura HD, Aura One, and Forma
I assume if you're using USB, you're plugging it into your computer and not AC. The reader will NOT charge via AC with USB.

Hope you get it figured out!

dordale
dordale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2009, 11:44 AM   #8
Patricia
Reader
Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500, PRS-505, Asus EEEpc 4G
This thread just might be useful:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=21337

Half and hour's charging via USB is not very much if the battery is completely drained. But an overnight mains charge should soon put things right. Do you know any teenagers who could lend you a psp charger?
Patricia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2009, 01:40 PM   #9
Faenad
Ad astra per aspera
Faenad will become famous soon enoughFaenad will become famous soon enoughFaenad will become famous soon enoughFaenad will become famous soon enoughFaenad will become famous soon enoughFaenad will become famous soon enoughFaenad will become famous soon enough

Device: PRS-505, PRS-300 & HTC HD2
If the battery is totally dead (0%) it may be impossible to charge via USB. The 500ma intensity being too low. Normally the battery circuitry would prevent the battery to reach such a low discharge state, but who knows.
Charging with a 1A or 2A USB charger will not works, as the PRS-505 is hard wired to only charge from a real computer USB port.

You should try to charge it with the AC charger. A PSP charger works fine and is more easy to found, at worse they cost about 5USD shipped on eBay.
Faenad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2009, 02:02 PM   #10
LazyScot
DSil
LazyScot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LazyScot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LazyScot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LazyScot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LazyScot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LazyScot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LazyScot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LazyScot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LazyScot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LazyScot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LazyScot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, Cybook
I don't know about the design of the 505, but quite a lot of devices have the charging light controlled by the CPU (daft, I know!). This means that once it is discharged until it gets to a certain level the device will not power up enough to turn on the light.

Also, I've seen *some* USB connections that don't seem to provide power until the device at the other end has asked for this. Which means that if the Sony doesn't have enough power, it won't be able to ask for the USB to charge it... So getting an AC charger may be a good idea....
LazyScot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2009, 03:43 PM   #11
columbus
Wizard
columbus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.columbus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.columbus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.columbus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.columbus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.columbus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.columbus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.columbus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.columbus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.columbus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.columbus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Prs 650, 505
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drezin;
I only have the USB charger. I plugged it in for about a half hour.

Tomorrow, I'm gonna test the USB cable to make sure the connection works (by using a PS3 controller to see if it charges) and once it does, as I'm sure it will because I just used it for said PS3 controller, I am going to plug it in and leave it plugged in all day. I'll let you know what happens.
Sony hand book says that if the battery is completely dead it can take 45 mins or more of charge via usb before the reader comes to life & shows the usb icon on screen - (computer must not be hibernating during this time)

Much better to use a PS2 mains charger - cheap from lots of sources.
columbus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2009, 03:55 PM   #12
DixieGal
Hi There!
DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by dordale View Post
I assume if you're using USB, you're plugging it into your computer and not AC. The reader will NOT charge via AC with USB.

Hope you get it figured out!

dordale

Someone who should have known better did this. OK, it was me. Funny thing how it turns out that hooking the USB into a wall adapter works for an iPod, but instead drains a Sony battery even lower. But, after leaving it plugged into the computer for an hour or so, the computer beeped, and the red charging light came on the reader. It took a while, but it did fully recharge.

EDIT: It takes exactly long enough to find the Sony warranty/return policy online for the red light to come back on.
DixieGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2009, 04:09 PM   #13
Drezin
Connoisseur

Well, I have a PSP charger, just need to find it. Never thought of using that.

It just pisses me off that they don't send an AC charger with the damn thing when you pay all that money for it. Just another reason my next reader will most likely be a Kindle.
Old 07-22-2009, 05:03 PM   #14
Drezin
Connoisseur

Well, couldn't find the PSP charger, but I found one that puts out 4.5 volts (I guess? I don't know this stuff, I just read the numbers) and the reader takes 5.2, and my dad said that should be enough to charge it.

It is charging. Thanks for the help, everyone.

Last edited by Drezin; 07-22-2009 at 05:11 PM.
Old 07-22-2009, 06:20 PM   #15
Angst
Cannon Fodder
Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-350, Kindle DX, Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drezin View Post
So, it's been about a month since I have used my PRS-505, and when I plug it in to charge, nothing happens. No light, nothin'. It seems to be completely dead. Has this happened to anyone else?
Make sure you plug it into a usb port on the computer itself. Some usb hubs are not powered so your reader won't charge from those ports.
Angst is offline   Reply With Quote