Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 05-06-2009, 01:01 PM   #91
ThomasMc
Disgusted with LDBoblo
ThomasMc doesn't litterThomasMc doesn't litter

Device: nook
At that price, I will most definitely PASS.
ThomasMc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2009, 01:03 PM   #92
Dave Berk
Fanatic
Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.

Device: PRS505
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexander Turcic View Post
I received word from Adobe that the Kindle DX's integration of the Adobe Reader Mobile SDK only includes PDF support, but not support for EPUB or Adobe Content Server 4 yet.

At least it's a first step.
And the last step. I'm sorry to say I don't see Amazon ever including ePub support. All their action so far have pointed this way.
Myself, I'm waiting for Sony answer to the DX. That, I will buy in a heartbeat...
Dave Berk is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-06-2009, 01:06 PM   #93
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
I'd say, it's not too expensive.

Sadly, they still don't want to access the rest of the world. I still don't see their point in only wanting to sell the reader in places where you can use Whispernet... I think a lot of non-Americans wouldn't mind the lack of it, as long as they can use the reader to read and the website to buy books (behind a pc)
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2009, 01:07 PM   #94
astra
The Introvert
astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-650 & 505 & 500
What can I say? WOW!!!

Well, done Amazon!
Looks like an amazing device! And for such a good price!
Very impressive!

If nothing interesting of the same size comes up in Europe within 1 year, I will buy this one.
astra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2009, 01:09 PM   #95
TadW
Uebermensch
TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
For those who asked if the Kindle DX can be shipped international, I am afraid the official answer is no.

Is Kindle DX available to customers outside the United States?

We're not able to offer Kindle DX and associated digital content to international customers due to import/export laws and other restrictions. When you place an order for a Kindle DX, the shipping address must be recognized as a valid U.S. address and the credit or debit card used for the order must be issued by a U.S. bank with a U.S. billing address.

We value our international customers, and we hope to offer Kindle internationally in the future.
TadW is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-06-2009, 01:15 PM   #96
kuliand
Connoisseur
kuliand doesn't litterkuliand doesn't litter

Device: sony prs505
Quote:
Originally Posted by TadW View Post
For those who asked if the Kindle DX can be shipped international, I am afraid the official answer is no.

Is Kindle DX available to customers outside the United States?

We're not able to offer Kindle DX and associated digital content to international customers due to import/export laws and other restrictions. When you place an order for a Kindle DX, the shipping address must be recognized as a valid U.S. address and the credit or debit card used for the order must be issued by a U.S. bank with a U.S. billing address.

We value our international customers, and we hope to offer Kindle internationally in the future.
same old excuse really they have had what nearly 2 years to sort things out it's not like they are new upstart company they have been doing business world wide for years. If they are not carefull they will loose every other market for good and be stuck with just the US.
kuliand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2009, 01:17 PM   #97
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by kuliand View Post
same old excuse really they have had what nearly 2 years to sort things out it's not like they are new upstart company they have been doing business world wide for years. If they are not carefull they will loose every other market for good and be stuck with just the US.
Yes. This is good.
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2009, 01:18 PM   #98
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ankh View Post
I share the sentiment, but it sounds like this is full-blown PDF with DRM support obtained by licensing Adobe code. It is interesting to see if Kindle can be registered to work with ADE (to download DRM-ed PDF's). It is also interesting that ePub support is optional in "Adobe Mobile Reader" platform.

I hope that Adobe is not having second thoughts about ePub. That would be very frightening news.
It actually sounds like PDF without DRM PDF support.

As for ePub, I think this is going to hurt Amazon if Amazon ever decides to release the Kindle outside the USA where ePub is taking hold.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2009, 01:22 PM   #99
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Berk View Post
And the last step. I'm sorry to say I don't see Amazon ever including ePub support. All their action so far have pointed this way.
Myself, I'm waiting for Sony answer to the DX. That, I will buy in a heartbeat...
If Sony comes out with a larger screen device with ePub and a price no higher then the DX (of course Sony will include a cover). I'll be on it if I can afford it and if not, I'll save till I can.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2009, 01:25 PM   #100
KDawg
Junior Senior
KDawg has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: nookColor, nook, PRS-900, PRS-505, PRS-500, Kindle PW, Kindle Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Berk View Post
Ditto. I love the Whispernet newspapers but no ePub = showstopper.
KDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2009, 01:25 PM   #101
slayda
Retired & reading more!
slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 1, iPad Air 2, iPhone 6S+, Kobo Aura One
I find it interesting that there seems to be absolutely no word whether the larger screen is the flex-screen or the old glass screen. Being that thin & large, a glass screen is just asking for it to be broken. I would definitely wait until that festure is established before ordering.
slayda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2009, 01:31 PM   #102
kacir
Wizard
kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 360, before it was Sony Reader, cassiopeia A-20
Quote:
Originally Posted by nrapallo View Post
I'm amazed at the raw .pdf used as their Quick Start Guide. Looks like someone forgot to "print to .pdf"...
This is EXACTLY what they were supposed to publish. They will use this file to print folding paper Quick Start manual that will be included with the device. Just use Zoom in your pdf viewer.
kacir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2009, 01:33 PM   #103
BinaryTB
Connoisseur
BinaryTB is on a distinguished road

Device: Kindle 3
I wonder if the kindle id grabbing script will work on the DX.
BinaryTB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2009, 01:40 PM   #104
Sydney's Mom
Wizard
Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Fire 3d Gen and 5th Gen and Samsung Tab S
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
3,500 eBooks and no way to organize them?
I was going to say this, but I'm glad JSWolf did first. I sound like a broken record. First device that comes out with self-designed folders, I will buy.
Sydney's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2009, 01:44 PM   #105
DesiLinguist
Computational Linguist
DesiLinguist doesn't litterDesiLinguist doesn't litter

Device: iLiad BE, iPhone, Kindle DX
I just pre-ordered. The Kindle DX now satisfies all the requirements I had for my e-book reader:

(a) Should support reading PDFs (esp. technical articles that I use for my research).
(b) Should have a very good selection of books available (non-PDF too)
(c) Should support reading in both landscape and portrait.

The only e-reader that supported these requirements was the iRex iLiad and it didn't do such a good job of meeting them either. It is very difficult to read two-column papers because the iLiad screen is so small in size and not as many books (say, as in the Kindle store) are available. I paid about $550 for the iLiad Book Edition. So, the Kindle DX with its large catalog of books, a larger screen, native PDF support and free 3G for life definitely does not feel overpriced to me.

I will be selling my 3-month old iLiad once my Kindle DX arrives (hopefully summer 2009 means no later than June?). If you are in the market for an iLiad Book Edition, please keep an eye out in the marketplace forum.

Last edited by DesiLinguist; 05-06-2009 at 01:46 PM.
DesiLinguist is offline   Reply With Quote