Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations > Book Clubs

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 12-15-2008, 01:56 PM   #1
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
January 09 book nominations

(Since this month includes many holidays I am going to make the nomination/voting period a bit longer)

The nominations will run thru Dec 19th.
Voting (new poll thread) will run for 5 days starting Dec 20.

Book selection category for January per the "official" club opening thread is:

January
Science Fiction (can be from anywhere, including our library)
*must be available as an eBook!

I suggest that in order for a book to be included in the poll it gets THREE NOMINATIONS (original nomination, a second and a third).

This will be limited to no more than 10 books.

So, please the floor is open to nominations.

Please if I miss one that got three... please let me know before I open the polling thread.

BOb - self-appointed vice president of the MRBC.

Official choices each with three nominations:

1. "The Mote in God's Eye" by Larry Niven and Jerry Pournelle

2. "The Time Machine" by H.G. Wells

3. "1632" by Eric Flint

4. "Little Fuzzy" by H. Beam Piper

5. "Snow Crash" by Neal Stephenson

6. "I, Robot" by Isaac Asimov

Here are other nominations pending thirds:

Stranger in a Strange Land by Robert Heinlein

Here are single nominated books:

Mars Girl by Garrity
Evoguia by Jordan
Neptune Crossing by JefferyCarver
Halo: The Fall of Reach by Eric Nylund
Neuromancer by William Gibson
The Peace War by Victor Vinge
Double Star by Robert Heinlein
Foundation by Isaac Asimov
Voyage of the Space Beagle (The basis for ALIEN) by A. E. Van Vogt
War of the Worlds by H. G. Wells
Scroogled by Cory Doctorow
Down and Out in the Magic Kingdom by Cory Doctorow
Red Mars by Kim Stanley Robinson
Gather, Darkness! by Fritz Leiber
The Green Millennium by Fritz Leiber
The Wanderer by Fritz Leiber
Key Out Of Time by Andre Norton
The Onuissance Cells by Seven Jordan

Last edited by pilotbob; 12-17-2008 at 05:09 PM.
Old 12-15-2008, 02:37 PM   #2
=X=
Wizard
=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy S, Nook w/CM7
Here are my nominations, granted these are on my reading list ) but I think they are good choices.

Mars Girl by Jeff Garrity
Evoguia by Seven Jordan
Neptune Crossing - Jeffery Carver
Halo: The Fall of Reach - by Eric Nylund

=X=

Last edited by =X=; 12-18-2008 at 01:30 PM. Reason: Updated recommendation with links
Advert
Old 12-15-2008, 03:51 PM   #3
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
The Moon is a Harsh Mistress--Heinlein

maybe if I read in again........
Old 12-15-2008, 04:30 PM   #4
mjh215
Guru
mjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameter

Device: None of your business
I was going to put down the Left Hand of Darkness but that isn't available... So...

Neuromancer - William Gibson
The Peace War - Victor Vinge (Was trying to find a Vinge that was available, was full length, and wasn't preceeded by a text unavailable.)
The Moon is a Harsh Mistress - Robert Heinlein Seconded, if this is available as an eBook? I didn't see it.

-MJ
Old 12-15-2008, 04:35 PM   #5
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Sorry. I didn't check to see if "Moon is a Harsh Mistress" was available in e-book format first.

My error. Its not in Kindle format.........
Advert
Old 12-15-2008, 04:42 PM   #6
ShortNCuddlyAm
WWHALD
ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad. Selling my silver 505 here
Snow Crash - Neal Stephenson
Old 12-15-2008, 04:51 PM   #7
bill_mchale
Wizard
bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch, HPC Evo 4G LTE
Personally, I think, the books nominated should be DRM-free. Not all of us have (or want) DRM enabled readers.

From that perspective, I would like to nominate "The Mote in God's Eye" By Larry Niven and Jerry Pournelle.

--
Bill
Old 12-15-2008, 04:57 PM   #8
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by bill_mchale View Post
I would like to nominate "The Mote in God's Eye" By Larry Niven and Jerry Pournelle.
This is from Baen's webscriptions. I second the nomination, but note that this is 592 pages in paperback.
Old 12-15-2008, 05:06 PM   #9
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....

Quote:
Originally Posted by wallcraft View Post
This is from Baen's webscriptions. I second the nomination, but note that this is 592 pages in paperback.
I'll third that one.......and the page numbers don't bother me.
Old 12-15-2008, 05:09 PM   #10
bill_mchale
Wizard
bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch, HPC Evo 4G LTE
Yeah it is a long book.. Mos of the better Niven and Pournelle collaborations have been longer books. That being said, when I first read it (must be close to 20 years ago now.. and I haven't read it since), I think I finished in under 2 weeks.

Personally, I think it is one of the best first contact novels every written. Niven and Pournelle do an excellent job of making aliens that we can understand, but whom think nothing like we do.

Essentially, I am looking for an excuse to read this again and I am probably going to right after I finish the Count of Monte Cristo.

--
Bill
Old 12-15-2008, 06:00 PM   #11
lilac_jive
Grand Sorcerer
lilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud of

Device: PRS-505
I haven't read a lot of Sci-fi, so I can't wait to see what gets picked. I'd like to read Snow Crash though.
Old 12-16-2008, 02:40 AM   #12
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
I'd like to nominate "The Time Machine", by H.G. Wells. Classic SF and available free from MR.
Old 12-16-2008, 05:10 AM   #13
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
I nominate "1632" by Eric Flint. It's available in the Baen Free Library.

http://www.webscription.net/p-379-1632.aspx

It's alternate history SF, with the change point being the arrival of a section of North America from 2000 AD in the middle of Europe in 1631.
Old 12-16-2008, 05:31 AM   #14
ShortNCuddlyAm
WWHALD
ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad. Selling my silver 505 here
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
I'd like to nominate "The Time Machine", by H.G. Wells. Classic SF and available free from MR.
I'll second that
Old 12-16-2008, 05:38 AM   #15
Slite
Icanhasdonuts?
Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura 2nd edition, Kobo Clara HD
Hmmm, I thought it was stated that the Sci-Fi book had to be available for free? But I might remember that incorrectly, I think it was even suggested it had to be a Baen free library book
Closed Thread