Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 07-26-2017, 04:50 AM   #1
Hoojamaflip
Hoojamaflip knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Hoojamaflip knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Hoojamaflip knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Hoojamaflip knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Hoojamaflip knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Hoojamaflip knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Hoojamaflip knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Hoojamaflip knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Hoojamaflip knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Hoojamaflip knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Hoojamaflip knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'

Device: Kobo Aura HD; Pocketbook 840 Inkpad
DPT-RP1 EULA Concerns

Hi, I’m getting tempted by the RP1. Stuff like having to use the App to transfer files (at the margin) and the absence of SD card based capacity expansion (mainly this) are irritants but I think they won’t be deal breakers.

What might be though was this … Amazon.com’s “most helpful” negative review slams the EULA (End User License Agreement) …
“disallowing opt out for data collection and providing themselves with permission to collect data not just from the Digital Paper itself but also from any device connected to the Digital Paper. The Digital Paper requires connection to a PC to operate (only way to load documents into the DP), meaning that Sony has effectively given itself permission to mine unspecified data from my PC and use it without any real restrictions, including expressly permitting themselves to share my data with unspecified third parties.”

I don’t really like the idea of e-readers themselves giving data (I maybe want to get updates from them but even those could really be sideloaded or done via the computer) but the idea of the company collecting (mining?) data from your PC, as presented here seems scary in potential scope.

Is there any indication of what it would be collecting? Could it just be checking on the performance of the device, collecting anonymous data for optimising and resolving bugs etc or is it (and has it not ruled out) collecting info on what I read and store and sell (or “lose”) such info or even far beyond as implied in the review …

On the one hand I feel like a conspiracy-nut and really want a fast, large screen (e-ink), PDF reader and I think this might be it. On the other the review spooked me hugely that I wouldn’t be able to control what data the company collects from my PC.

Does anyone have any (informed?) opinions? Is what Sony is doing normal? Is the review dealing in hyperbole? Are Sony giving themselves “permission to mine unspecified data” and if so any ideas what that might mean in practice? Any purchasers had any concerns?

Sorry for the rambling. Thanks for any help etc in advance.
Hoojamaflip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2017, 05:11 AM   #2
ManDay
E-Reader
ManDay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManDay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManDay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManDay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManDay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManDay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManDay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManDay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManDay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManDay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManDay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: DPT-S1
That's closed source for you... Unless someone does the reverse engineering, no one but Sony will ever know what exactly this means.

Pretty much the reason why I find Sony pushing that app down their customers' throats so appalling. With the DPT-S1 you could easily have all the functionality, including "print to digital paper" with a tiny little bit of script-writing, since the communication protocol to the DPT-S1 was open. With the way things are heading, users are forced into a strict dependence on Sony and delivered to their caprices about what they want to allow *and* do to the user.
ManDay is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-26-2017, 07:46 AM   #3
Ghitulescu
Fanatic
Ghitulescu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ghitulescu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ghitulescu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ghitulescu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ghitulescu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ghitulescu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ghitulescu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ghitulescu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ghitulescu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ghitulescu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ghitulescu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-T1
Quote:
Originally Posted by ManDay View Post
That's closed source for you... Unless someone does the reverse engineering, no one but Sony will ever know what exactly this means.

Pretty much the reason why I find Sony pushing that app down their customers' throats so appalling. With the DPT-S1 you could easily have all the functionality, including "print to digital paper" with a tiny little bit of script-writing, since the communication protocol to the DPT-S1 was open. With the way things are heading, users are forced into a strict dependence on Sony and delivered to their caprices about what they want to allow *and* do to the user.
It sounds so Apple-like
Ghitulescu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2017, 01:18 PM   #4
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: pb360
So much for the "security" excuse for not supporting the USB storage protocol.
j.p.s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2017, 01:38 PM   #5
ManDay
E-Reader
ManDay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManDay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManDay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManDay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManDay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManDay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManDay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManDay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManDay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManDay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManDay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by j.p.s View Post
So much for the "security" excuse for not supporting the USB storage protocol.
Ah, "security". See, it's a common misconception that security were an absolute notion. Consider, for example, the production of meat: Billions of dollars are spent each year in the US for antibiotics, equipment, and buildings to protect the animals from disease, lesions and infections. To keep them "secure".
Advert
Old 07-27-2017, 12:36 AM   #6
YasBean
Enthusiast
YasBean doesn't litterYasBean doesn't litter

Device: Sony RP1
Just my experience: The RP1 does not connect directly to the internet, and uses WiFi only if it is enabled. Yes, the Digital Paper app is required to load documents, but the computer needs not be online. There is no sign that data is being transferred from the Digital Paper app to Sony, and no option to opt in or out.

Now, if I were so inclined, I could say that none of this matters, and Sony is stealing my reading list, but the same could be said about just about any electronic device, these days. In fact, android devices are frequently found to be talking to the mothership, as are Lenovo computers. Apple devices and computers talk to Apple behind your back. So, I will exercise common sense when using any electronics, but the RP1 is the most focused screen device I have used in the past several decades, and I like that about it.
YasBean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2017, 06:10 AM   #7
EmilThelonius
Enthusiast
EmilThelonius knows who John Galt is.EmilThelonius knows who John Galt is.EmilThelonius knows who John Galt is.EmilThelonius knows who John Galt is.EmilThelonius knows who John Galt is.EmilThelonius knows who John Galt is.EmilThelonius knows who John Galt is.EmilThelonius knows who John Galt is.EmilThelonius knows who John Galt is.EmilThelonius knows who John Galt is.EmilThelonius knows who John Galt is.

Device: Sony DPT-RP1 and Pocketbook Touch Lux 2 and Basic
Is anyone using "little snitch" or an app like that and has the RP1? It could easily be monitored when and to what extend the sony-app uses the internet connection. If so, it would be interesting to see how the app behaves when all connections going out are blocked.
EmilThelonius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2017, 05:16 PM   #8
rem736
purpose priority passion
rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony prs-350, b&n ngp, rM2, kindle scribe, boox poke5
what? it reserves the right to collect data from your device and any connected device but it's not willing to enable you to freely use the browser (is there a browser?). i can see why the original S1 is still priced higher after all these years.
rem736 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2017, 05:18 AM   #9
ManDay
E-Reader

Quote:
Originally Posted by EmilThelonius View Post
Is anyone using "little snitch" or an app like that and has the RP1? It could easily be monitored when and to what extend the sony-app uses the internet connection. If so, it would be interesting to see how the app behaves when all connections going out are blocked.
Sony must lose their mind if they were that obvious... I'm positiv you won't find the DPT-RP1 "calling home" on its own initiative at any time. For the time being, Sony just reserved themselves the right and flexibility to report whatever they think interesting without any risk to face charges because of "a little more" that they did not warn the user about they would be reporting.

If anything, such info will most likely be passed during an update and even then it would be part of the SSL secured update process so that you won't find anything with your sniffing tools.

I don't think Sony has devised the RP1 as an elaborate spying device. But nonetheless I despise their increasingly "closed" approach to the software.
Old 08-10-2017, 05:35 PM   #10
fgdas
Addict
fgdas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fgdas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fgdas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fgdas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fgdas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fgdas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fgdas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fgdas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fgdas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fgdas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fgdas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 13inch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoojamaflip View Post
Is there any indication of what it would be collecting?
They are trying to find who's converting their locked down devices to open Android.
fgdas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2017, 08:27 AM   #11
JoeS
Enthusiast
JoeS can extract oil from cheeseJoeS can extract oil from cheeseJoeS can extract oil from cheeseJoeS can extract oil from cheeseJoeS can extract oil from cheeseJoeS can extract oil from cheeseJoeS can extract oil from cheeseJoeS can extract oil from cheese

Device: Sony DPT-RP1
Since this was brought up in the huge main thread on the DPT, I agree that the EULA really is 'intense'. Quoting from my earlier post there:

Upon first glance the EULA seems to be saying "We may collect information on your location, on the devices you connect, on the contents of the device, and share all of this with partners." Even if they don't abuse this, these are overly broad terms. It does look like this is their standard EULA for connected devices, but they really should update that to be more protective of the consumer.

The following is from the EULA for another device (I forgot which) but this section is verbatim what they use for the DPT as well.

Quote:
CONSENT TO USE OF NON-PERSONAL INFORMATION, LOCATION DATA, DATA SECURITY
You acknowledge and agree that SONY and its affiliates, partners and agents may read, collect, transfer, process and store certain information collected from the SOFTWARE, including but not limited to information about
(i) the SOFTWARE and
(ii) the software applications, contents and peripheral devices that interact with your DEVICE and the SOFTWARE (“Information”).

Information includes, but is not limited to:
(1) unique identifiers relating to your DEVICE and its components;
(2) performance of the DEVICE, the SOFTWARE and their components;
(3) configurations of your DEVICE, the SOFTWARE and the software applications, contents and peripheral devices that interact with the DEVICE and the SOFTWARE;
(4) use and frequency of use of the functions of (x) the SOFTWARE, and (y) the software applications, contents and peripheral devices that interact with the SOFTWARE; and
(5) location data, as indicated below.

SONY and its affiliates, partners and agents may use and disclose Information subject to applicable laws in order to improve its products and services or to provide products or services to you.

Such uses include, but are not limited to:
(a) administering the functionalities of the SOFTWARE;
(b) to improve, service, update or upgrade the SOFTWARE;
(c) improving, developing and enhancing the current and future products and services of SONY and other parties;
(d) to provide you with information about the products and services offered by SONY and other parties;
(e) complying with applicable laws or regulations; and
(f) to the extent offered, providing you with location-based services of SONY and other parties, as indicated below.

In addition, SONY retains the right to use Information to protect itself and third parties from illegal, criminal or harmful conduct.
And that's just part of it. At this point users just have to trust that whatever Sony collects is not abused and secure on their site. Given some of the high profile Sony hacks over the past years I don't feel great about that.

Last edited by JoeS; 09-22-2017 at 08:31 AM.
JoeS is offline   Reply With Quote