Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Conversion

Notices

Old 02-10-2011, 01:31 AM   #1
kainu7
kainu7 began at the beginning.

Device: ipad
creating table of contents

I have a few books that do not have a table of contents to quickly get to each chapter and I would like to create one. I havent been able to figure out how to do this yet. I know its possible because some of my books already have them. Can anyone help?

I guess I should add ive downloaded Sigil as well before and when I add a book to it in Epud the book is automatically put in there with each chapter spilt saying index_split_000.xhtml
index_split_001.xhtml and so forth but when i save and add back into calibre i dont know how to get the table of contents still.

Last edited by kainu7; 02-10-2011 at 03:22 AM.
kainu7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 03:48 AM   #2
ldolse
Wizard
ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.

Device: PRS-650, iPhone
It might be a good idea to do a short search first, or even a brief scan of the current topics. This same question has come up twice this week already.

Read here for suggestions:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=119731

Note if you aren't getting chapters when editing with Sigil it's because you Chapter headings aren't surrounded by <hx> tags.

You can try using Heuristic Processing under conversion to detect and add proper mark up for chapters.

Last edited by ldolse; 02-10-2011 at 09:55 AM.
ldolse is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-10-2011, 09:51 AM   #3
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by kainu7 View Post
I have a few books that do not have a table of contents to quickly get to each chapter and I would like to create one. I havent been able to figure out how to do this yet. I know its possible because some of my books already have them. Can anyone help?

I guess I should add ive downloaded Sigil as well before and when I add a book to it in Epud the book is automatically put in there with each chapter spilt saying index_split_000.xhtml
index_split_001.xhtml and so forth but when i save and add back into calibre i dont know how to get the table of contents still.
In addition to Iolse's good advice

Sigil and Calibre have different ways of building up the TOC. Neither are wrong In the end, you get a EPUB TOC (not the same as a inline: just another page TOC)

AFAIK, Sigil will start from scratch (Rebuilds) EVERY TIME it opens an EPUB. Sigil only uses Hn tags to build from (there is a special code class "SigilNotInTOC") to cause Sigil to exclude it from the list. The TOC editor (F7) has a tick box to CLEAR if you don't want it to show in the TOC (the Class get auto-magically added)

Calibre conversion can use REGEX Patterns to detect TOC items
theducks is online now   Reply With Quote