Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK > Nook Color & Nook Tablet

Notices

Old 05-30-2011, 08:07 PM   #1
anamardoll
Chasing Butterflies
anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Uses batteries.
Backing Up B&N Magazines (Android)

So I was pretty excited to note that the Nook app for tablets now supports magazines. This meant that I really never have to pop my CM7 SD card and boot up the stock reader, since magazines were the only thing I used the stock reader for.

The other major drawback I had with Nook magazines was that you can't really download and save them locally, unlike the books. I'm a backup FIEND because I hate losing data, particularly data that I've bought, so I always backup EVERY ebook I buy locally in a folder (and then load it into Calibre, but that's beside the point).

Now that you can load the magazines onto your Nook app, however, you CAN pull the magazine epub file off the tablet and store it locally. You can even view it in Calibre, interestingly enough, although it's just a straight flow of the text and pictures - it doesn't look like a magazine anymore. Still, very convenient if you want to quote National Geographic in your dissertation and are afraid your ebook copy might go poof.

So. Um. Yeah. I thought that was interesting and figured I'd share.
anamardoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2011, 03:27 PM   #2
anamardoll
Chasing Butterflies
anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by anamardoll View Post
Now that you can load the magazines onto your Nook app, however, you CAN pull the magazine epub file off the tablet and store it locally. You can even view it in Calibre, interestingly enough, although it's just a straight flow of the text and pictures - it doesn't look like a magazine anymore. Still, very convenient if you want to quote National Geographic in your dissertation and are afraid your ebook copy might go poof.
And, just because I'm fanatical about backups, I figured out how to get the actual magazine format extracted as well.

http://www.anamardoll.com/2011/06/er...e-backups.html
Advert
Old 06-16-2011, 03:49 PM   #3
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast
Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3; Kobo Aura One; iPad Mini 5
That's fantastic, Ana! Thanks for creating the procedure. Very helpful!
Bookworm_Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2011, 03:58 PM   #4
anamardoll
Chasing Butterflies

Hey, you're very welcome. It's a bit of a tedious process for anyone who isn't a fanatical backer upper, but it IS nice to be able to port my magazines over to the eInk device for reading in the car.