Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 01-04-2011, 07:53 PM   #1
kindlekitten
Professional Adventuress
kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Olympic Peninsula on the OTHER Washington! (the big green clean one on the west coast!)
Device: Kindle, the original! Times Two! and gifting an International Kindle
READ 100 BOOKS in 2011! The What Have You Read Thread.

This is where we list the books we have read ;o)
Old 01-05-2011, 06:13 AM   #2
mbelec
Addict
mbelec ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbelec ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbelec ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbelec ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbelec ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbelec ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbelec ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbelec ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbelec ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbelec ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbelec ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony prs-350, Ipad 3
The lightning thief series, books 1-3; kind of childish, but fun. I'm taking a break from the series and reading The Girl With The Dragon Tatoo. It's dry but I've heard it gets better.
Advert
Old 01-05-2011, 07:09 AM   #3
Iridal
Mysteriarch
Iridal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iridal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iridal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iridal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iridal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iridal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iridal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iridal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iridal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iridal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iridal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 4, Kindle 3
I'll also be counting short stories, but just to follow the rules as closely as possible I'll consider 2 short stories to be one book.

I'm going to be using Fastolfe's rating system.

= the book is a turd, avoid at all costs
= not sure what to make of it
= okay book
= good book, recommended
= great book, highly recommended

= reading in progress

#001: Memoirs of a Geisha - Arthur Golden

Rating:
Pages: 499
Genre: Contemporary Fiction

#002: The Great Bazaar and other stories - Peter V. Brett

Rating:
Pages: 104
Genre: Fantasy

#002: Matilda - Roald Dahl
Rating:
Pages: 90
Genre: Children's novel

#003: Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone - J.K. Rowling
Rating:
Pages: 336
Genre: Young adult fantasy

#004: Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets - J.K. Rowling
Rating:
Pages: 366
Genre: Young adult fantasy

Last edited by Iridal; 01-05-2011 at 03:16 PM.
Old 01-05-2011, 07:27 AM   #4
jhempel24
Wizard
jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle Paperwhite, B&N Nook Colro
Well, here goes:

01. Sudden Death - Michael Ballkind - 5 Stars
02. Mary Mary - James Patterson - (38% complete)
Old 01-05-2011, 07:55 AM   #5
Pookeysgirl
Wizard
Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kobo Mini
My List

My (stolen from Fastolfe) rating system works like this:

= okay book
= good book, recommended

= reading in progress

In Progress:

001 LOTR The Fellowship of the Ring, J.R.R. Tolkien (This will be the 3rd time I've read so I'm able to give it a rating now)

002 LOTR The Two Towers, J.R.R. Tolkien

003 LOTR Return of the King, J.R.R. Tolkien

Last edited by Pookeysgirl; 01-05-2011 at 03:02 PM.
Advert
Old 01-05-2011, 08:17 AM   #6
januaryman
Used DTBs & iPad User
januaryman began at the beginning.

Device: iPad
I finished "I, Asimov" and am currently reading both Twain's Autobiography and "The Girl Who Played With Fire."
Old 01-05-2011, 09:45 AM   #7
wvcherrybomb
Sharp Shootin' Grandma
wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kindle Fire, Literati (has been adopted by my daughter)
My Book List

In the interest of space I will be linking all titles to their Amazon page rather than writing a synopsis here.

All of my ratings will be based on the 5 star system with 1 being the lowest. These will reflect my personal opinion only. For reference, I am a 47 year old female.

Title - The Potluck Club
Author - Linda Evans Shepherd
Pages - 384
Genre - Christian Fiction
Rating - ***
Thoughts - I believe this book would only have appeal to women in my age group or older. It has a heavy Christian theme, but there are some twists that keep it from being overly bland.

Title - By Their Father's Hand: The Wesson Clan
Author - Monte Francis
Pages - 304
Genre - True Crime
Rating - *****
Thoughts - Sometimes it's hard to rate true crime books since the subject matter is always disturbing. Focusing solely on the writing, this one was good. I liked that the author only added important pieces of the trial, but it didn't read like a court transcript. The only verbatim section was the audio recorded at the crime scene which most readers, myself included, would appreciate. This was a well researched account.

Title - Watchlist (in progress)
Author - Jeffery Deaver and 21 others
Pages - 416
Genre - Thriller, Suspense, Mystery
Rating -
Thoughts -
Old 01-05-2011, 09:52 AM   #8
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Books read in 2011

001. January 1st: D'Artagnan Romances, Vol. 2, Twenty Years After by Alexandre Dumas. Free. 8/10.
An excellent adventure, following up the Three Musketeers "Twenty Years After". D'Artagnan is still only a lieutenant in the Musketeers. His friends have left. The new Cardinal, Mazarin, decides he could use some adventuresome, loyal, men, and D'Artagnan is sent to gather his friends together again...

002. January 4th Analog SFF, March 2011 by Dell Magazine Authors. $1.78

TBR at start of year: 417
TBR now: 419
Ebooks read in 2011: 1
Non-free ebooks read in 2010: 0
Total cost of ebooks read in 2010: $0
Average cost of non-free ebooks:: $0

Books bought/obtained in 2011: 3
January: Analog, Asimov's, Interzone

Books read in 2010

Stolen icon rating system:
Still reading it

0-2 = avoid at all costs (IMO)
3-4 = Didn't like it. Others might.
5-6 = okay book
7-8 = good book, recommended
0-10 : = Excellent! Go and read it now!

Last edited by pdurrant; 01-05-2011 at 12:38 PM.
Old 01-05-2011, 10:13 AM   #9
Latinandgreek
Warrior Princess
Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505; PRS-350, PRS-T1, iPad, Aura HD
Books I'm currently reading:

Elantris (Sanderson)
Hod Kroz Godinu (Belaj)
La mythologie Slave (Leger)

I should be done one of them tonight.
Old 01-05-2011, 10:34 AM   #10
Marcy
Guru
Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2
Read in 2011:

1. A Play of Dux Moraud by Margaret Frazer
#2 in the Joliffe series. Joliffe, a player in a medieval troupe with a gift for delving into mysteries is sent by his Lord to investigate the wedding of one of his vassal's daughters.

2. Deal Breaker by Harlan Coban
#1 in the Myron Bolitar series. Myron, a sports agents, has just signed Christian Steele, the biggest athlete of his career, a very lucrative deal. The deal is in danger due to the mysterious disappearance of Christian's girlfriend a year ago and new hints turning up that she might be alive.
Old 01-05-2011, 11:14 AM   #11
lila55
Fanatic
lila55 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lila55 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lila55 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lila55 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lila55 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lila55 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lila55 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lila55 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lila55 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lila55 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lila55 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 360° , iPhone 5, PRS-650, Sony PRS-T2, Sony PRS-T3, Tolino
Title - The Black Path
Author - Åsa Larsson
Pages - 384
Genre - Mystery & Crime
Rating: ****
Old 01-05-2011, 11:18 AM   #12
DixieGal
Hi There!
DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
MY 2011 BOOKS

1: 1/1/11
the Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy by Douglas Adams
Amazon $6.29
Review - 5/5

2. 1/2/11
The Perfect Woman by James Andrus
Amazon $0.00
Review - Great serial killer thriller, he puts the bodies in suitcases.
Negative - Seems to be 2nd in series, so starts and ends oddly. WARNING: Violence

3. 1/4/11
Soul Identity by Dennis Batchelder
Amazon. $0.00
Review - In Progress
Old 01-05-2011, 12:07 PM   #13
kelliedn
Enthusiast
kelliedn plays well with otherskelliedn plays well with otherskelliedn plays well with otherskelliedn plays well with otherskelliedn plays well with otherskelliedn plays well with otherskelliedn plays well with otherskelliedn plays well with otherskelliedn plays well with otherskelliedn plays well with otherskelliedn plays well with others

Device: Sony Touch Reader PRS-650
1. Dean Koontz, Your Heart Belongs to Me
2. Dean Koontz, The Taking
3. Danielle Trussoni. Angelology
Old 01-05-2011, 12:30 PM   #14
Fastolfe
Bookworm
Fastolfe makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneFastolfe makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneFastolfe makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneFastolfe makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneFastolfe makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneFastolfe makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneFastolfe makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneFastolfe makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneFastolfe makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneFastolfe makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneFastolfe makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplane

Device: Sony PRS-650
Here are my 2011 books.
My rating system works like this:

= okay book
= good book, recommended

= reading in progress

Click on the book's title in bold to be redirected to the relevant page on your favorite evil book distributor's site.
------------------------------

#001 - - Isaac Asimov - Gold
338 pages
An excellent read and a page-turner, as always with anything Asimov. If you're an aspirant writer, the second half of the book will give you great advices to get your started - Jan 1, 2011
ISBN: 978-0061054099

#002 - - Mark Twain - The Mysterious Stranger and Other Stories
110 pages
Great, deceptively simple stories; Mark Twain is the master of irony - Jan 1, 2011
ISBN: 978-1438533827

#003 - - Hunter S. Thompson - Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas: A Savage Journey to the Heart of the American Dream
143 pages
A fantastic book that chronicles the demotion of the purposeful hippie drug usage into senseless hard drug binging at the end of the sixties, and the death of the American dream. A unique story written in H.S. Thompson's inimitable gonzo style - Jan 2, 2011
ISBN: 978-0679785897

#004 - - Iain M. Banks - Transition
399 pages
A great novel, but harder to get into than most Iain M. Banks (SF) books. The several intertwined stories are a bit disconnected, and the various narrators aren't clearly identifiable, but all these sub-plots converge to create a great ending. In short, you'll have to work to enjoy the last 50 pages - Jan 4, 2011
ISBN: 978-0316071994

------------------------------
... continued in post #2
Old 01-05-2011, 12:38 PM   #15
Fastolfe
Bookworm
Fastolfe makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneFastolfe makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneFastolfe makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneFastolfe makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneFastolfe makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneFastolfe makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneFastolfe makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneFastolfe makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneFastolfe makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneFastolfe makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneFastolfe makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplane

Device: Sony PRS-650
All these threads, it's a right old mess. Sheesh...
Closed Thread