Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 01-03-2009, 09:47 PM   #1
JGB
Groupie
JGB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JGB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JGB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JGB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JGB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JGB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JGB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JGB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JGB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JGB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JGB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS505
should I reconvert my old ebooks?/what does caliber do with images?

I've got them already converted to epub mostly, but with the new bug fixes I'm wondering if I should reconvert, specifically the bug about html files creating a oversized file. and some .lit files that I had to go convertlit->html->text->caliber to get to work.

I'm also wondering what caliber does with old cover images, I've noticed when I explode a book with convertlit I get piles of cover images, or pieces of them. I like to put my own on in caliber and I'm wondering if caliber dumps them.

Finally, is there any plan to intergrate epubcheck or something like that into caliber?
I'm still finding a few of my epub files look fine in caliber but reboot the reader.
JGB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2009, 10:01 PM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Reconverting shouldn't cause any problems, so go ahead. calibre keeps only a single cover image, old ones are discarded.

It's perfectly possible to generate epub files that pass epubcheck and still reboot the reader. Complain to SONY/Adobe. Hopefully, if enough people do, they'll actually listen.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2009, 10:15 PM   #3
JGB
Groupie
JGB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JGB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JGB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JGB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JGB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JGB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JGB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JGB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JGB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JGB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JGB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

could I just highlight all and reconvert?

or would it convert epub-> epub instead of just reconverting the original source and replacing the epub.
Old 01-03-2009, 11:03 PM   #4
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

highlight all ,use the bulk metadata edit to remove the epub format. Then reconvert, but be careful you dont include any files with only an epub format in your selection
Old 01-03-2009, 11:21 PM   #5
nrapallo
GuteBook/Mobi2IMP Creator
nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: REB1200 EBW1150 Device: T1 NSTG iLiad_v2 NC Device: Asus_TF Next1 WPDN
Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
but be careful you dont include any files with only an epub format in your selection
Kovid:

Does that mean there is no .epub to .epub conversion routine yet?

In that .epub poll that RWood posted last month, I envisioned a gravitation towards easier re-conversions of .epub (as differing hardware device's .epub restrictions may make sharing them unwieldly).

Let's say I had a non-Sony .epub (i.e. doesn't respect the ADE size/chapter restrictions) and wanted to convert it to a Sony compliant .epub. Is there an easier way to re-convert it to .epub than seeking my original files? If not, could there be an easier way?
nrapallo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2009, 11:23 PM   #6
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

calibre has epub2epub but the whole point of re-converting is to hopefully end up with improved epubs, which may not happen if you reconvert based on an old conversion.
Old 01-03-2009, 11:29 PM   #7
nrapallo
GuteBook/Mobi2IMP Creator
nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: REB1200 EBW1150 Device: T1 NSTG iLiad_v2 NC Device: Asus_TF Next1 WPDN
Quote:
calibre has epub2epub but the whole point of re-converting is to hopefully end up with improved epubs, which may not happen if you reconvert based on an old conversion.
Thanks for that info.

I can see that re-converting a Sony compliant .epub to a Sony .epub may be pointless (unless Calibre has improved some aspects of the .epub generation).

However, I do see the utility in having that any2epub program for non-Sony .epub to Sony compliant .epub or vice-versa, Sony-compliant .epub to non-Sony .epub (if that's possible).

I'll have to try this when I can actually use .epub ebooks on a hardware reader (like iPod Touch) .

Last edited by nrapallo; 01-03-2009 at 11:41 PM. Reason: any2epub is the command to use with --profile="PRS505" or "None"!
nrapallo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2009, 11:32 PM   #8
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

See the help text on --profile in any2epub (which accepts EPUB files)

any2epub --help
Old 01-04-2009, 01:03 AM   #9
JGB
Groupie

Quote:
highlight all ,use the bulk metadata edit to remove the epub format. Then reconvert, but be careful you dont include any files with only an epub format in your selection
Just so long as it won't explode.

Surprisingly I actually did get an epub to to reconvert that was screwy, I almost cried when it wouldn't work, since I deleted the PDF and didn't want to track down the author again, the book came from a thread years ago on a messageboard for a 3d modeler I used, the author put his(fantastic) book up free for members there to read. I was about 3/4 of the way through again. is pretty much how it went down

I reconverted with the new caliber and it fixed it, the same with another file that was epub only but decided to have question marks in the midd?le of wo?rds at rand?om which was quite frustrating.

yet again, caliber drives me nuts for a while and then like magic it's fixed.
Old 01-13-2009, 11:14 PM   #10
JGB
Groupie

Quote:
Is calibers default to reconvert, or to convert from the epub again?
If I just click all my books and hit convert without deleting epub?
Old 01-13-2009, 11:17 PM   #11
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

When there are multiple source formats, it asks you what to convert from.