Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 06-13-2014, 03:42 PM   #31
twobob
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°){ʇlnɐɟ ƃǝs}Tır
twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: uti gratia usura (Yao ying da ying; Mo ying da yieng)
Device: PW-WIFI|K5-3G+WIFI| K4|K3-3G|DXG|K2| Rooted Nook Touch
Well I went off and found some c that blats stuff in and out of the buffer decently enough. for the 3 pictured)

perhaps a slightly less damn ugly eips alternative wouldnt actually go that far amiss...
tried messing with pgm. that might be a cheap alternative to real data?

dpavlin did a perl script that mangled pgm via perl back into native 4bit framebuffer.

might that be a useful touchstone? I gave it the once over.

so "pseudo cat pgm data" to fb0[susectionx][subsectiony] and update?

just spitballing, does actually sound very useful.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	fb0.raw.png
Views:	370
Size:	11.7 KB
ID:	124109  

Last edited by twobob; 06-13-2014 at 10:55 PM.
twobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2014, 05:41 PM   #32
hawhill
Wizard
hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Kobo Mini
I'm currently fiddling with a script that should intercept (via LD_PRELOAD) mmap/ioctl calls - mainly to recreate something like the "Kobo night mode" hack for the Kindle. I like it to be more hackable, so I interface it with LuaJIT. When that is done, I can use that also to display a clock. I have everything ready, since we have FreeType interfacing for Koreader already and it shouldn't be too hard to integrate. Then we have scalable antialiased truetype fonts for clocks. Well, and night mode :-)
hawhill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2014, 06:01 PM   #33
twobob
twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

well said. *leaves framebuffer code alone*
Old 06-13-2014, 07:01 PM   #34
twobob

it was so obvious.

root@kindle bin]# ./wmctrl -r -i `./wmctrl -l | awk '/titleBar/ {print $1 } '` -b toggle above

I think that covers it. EDIT hmm bit hasty need to persist it somehow...

Last edited by twobob; 06-13-2014 at 07:29 PM.
Old 06-13-2014, 07:43 PM   #35
twobob

ok so...

export i=`xwininfo -tree -root | awk '/titleBar/{print $1}'` \
&& ./xdotool windowreparent $i `xwininfo -tree -root | awk '!/footerBar/ && /booklet.reader/{print $1}'`

and

export i=`xwininfo -tree -root | awk '/titleBar/{print $1}'` && ./xdotool windowreparent $i 0x51

to go back to normal.

and they are one-off stateful calls. no log tailing.

maybe we could detect book exit.... hmm...

I'll bundle the tools in a bit. They are all in The Touch management bundle but I'll repack them for this I guess

Last edited by twobob; 06-13-2014 at 07:53 PM. Reason: tidier. one less process
Old 06-13-2014, 09:31 PM   #36
twobob

Something like:

PHP Code:
showlog -awk '!/home/ && /booklet.reader/' |  awk '/SENT/{print $0}' | \
while 
read MYVAR; do  echo "$MYVAR| \
awk '/PAUSE/{system("./showtime-restore.sh")}' \
&& echo 
"$MYVAR| \
awk '/GO/{system("./showtime-header.sh")}'done 

with:showtime-header.sh
PHP Code:
#!/bin/bash
LD_LIBRARY_PATH="../lib:$LD_LIBRARY_PATH"
export i=`xwininfo -tree -root | awk '/titleBar/{print $1}'
./
xdotool windowreparent $i `xwininfo -tree -root | awk '!/footerBar/ && /booklet.reader/{print $1} |head -n1'

and:showtime-restore.sh
PHP Code:
export i=`xwininfo -tree -root | \
awk '/titleBar/{print $1}'
` \
&& ./
xdotool windowreparent $i 0x51 

dynamically sticks the top status bar over the book while reading.

Possible to resize it a tiny bit smaller / move it around/ via xdotool.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	screenshot_2014-06-14T03_59_34-0100.gif
Views:	325
Size:	42.1 KB
ID:	124110  

Last edited by twobob; 06-13-2014 at 11:00 PM.
Old 06-13-2014, 11:33 PM   #37
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
@twobob: Duh! Of course that titlebar still does its job in the background. Nice! >_<".

Does it refreshes properly?
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2014, 07:56 AM   #38
twobob

I literally just got that finished and crashed out. zero testing was done. and that was just on the touch / PW obviously.

Tried an alpha channel gtk app for the 3 but for some reason I cant even get the alpha channel stuff working on my main pc never mind the 3. that would be a neat solution though - a transparent notifications layer, that doesnt grab focus. would be nice to programmatically inject full widgets on the fly to an overlay.

perhaps this LUA solution I should just just hang around for...
Old 06-14-2014, 08:04 AM   #39
twobob

wait. didnt i build an OSD app for this stuff ages ago???

hmm...*thinks*
Old 06-16-2014, 02:17 AM   #40
zxczxc
Addict
zxczxc knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.zxczxc knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.zxczxc knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.zxczxc knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.zxczxc knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.zxczxc knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.zxczxc knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.zxczxc knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.zxczxc knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.zxczxc knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.zxczxc knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.

Device: PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawhill View Post
night mode :-)
thanks a lot, i'm interested in the night mode/inverted screen for kindle, good luck with all of your work!

and great work twobob with all the clock stuff! a shame amazon make it hard to add something so seemingly basic.
zxczxc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2014, 07:03 AM   #41
hawhill
Wizard
hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Kobo Mini
As for the night mode (and my development work regarding this): It's a bit harder than I thought. I'm still hunting for the exact place where the screen updates are triggered in the originial software stack. OK, I'm also overengineering this a bit, as I usually do with my private side projects :-) But this is getting OT here. I'll start a new thread regarding night mode when I have a tad bit more to show.
hawhill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2014, 08:10 AM   #42
twobob

I think that they are triggered by the LUA in the damage section IIRC.
Old 06-20-2014, 05:14 PM   #43
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Okay, got a crappy POC working (thanks to FBGrab & IM).

I'm thinking wrap that in a forever loop, and each 30s check if the time changed, and when it does:

Snapshot of the current page:
Code:
fbgrab page.png
Composite a clock on it (default @ bottom, tweak the size per-device, cf. my BatteryStatus KUAL extension for the screen size detection code):
Code:
/mnt/us/linkss/bin/convert page.png -gravity south -compose src-over -background "#0000" -fill black -font "/usr/java/lib/fonts/Caecilia_LT_75_Bold.ttf" -gravity south -size "600x20" caption:"$(date +%H:%M)" -composite -quality 75 -define png:bit-dept
h=8 clock.png
Print composite page w/o flashing:
Code:
eips -g clock.png
Maaagic!

(Also, cleanup behind us, and write all that crap in a tmpfs, not the flash).

It's crappy because both fbgrab & IM are very CPU-hungry (i.e. the whole process takes between 1~2s @ 100% CPU on a Touch), and the design around a forever loop isn't terribly pretty (but I like the 'check if the time has changed every n seconds' better than a costly & ugly parsing of the logs to detect page changes, and it should be more transparent to the user, since it would then mostly avoid happening during an already CPU-hungry operation [page change] [EDIT: Err, okay, obvious downside: it disappears when you turn the page until the time change]).

Going with a lower PNG compression level (both for FBGrab & IM) would probably speed things up a bit, at the expense of bigger files, which might be something to investigate, since this is only intended for very short-term storage.

For now, I'm leaving this out there, I don't really intend to make anything end-user friendly with this, just throwing ideas around .

Especially since both the real toolbar, or aosd or a proper overlay like the LUA idea would be much, much better .

EDIT: For an idea of what the (mostly randomly chosen) size mentioned gives:

EDIT²: And with Futura-DemiBold instead, to match the font used by the framework on a K5 (don't mind the crappy fake BoldOblique of Libre Baskerville).

EDIT³: We could nearly do it without file I/O, if only eips could handle input from stdin...
Code:
./fbgrab -z 0 - | /mnt/us/linkss/bin/convert PNG:- -gravity south -compose src-over -background "#0000" -fill black -font "/usr/java/lib/fonts/Caecilia_LT_75_Bold.ttf" -gravity south -size "600x20" caption:"$(date +%H:%M)" -composite -quality 00 -defi
ne png:bit-depth=8 PNG:- | eips -g -
Code:
eips: paint_image> cannot open "-":can't fopen
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	clockpage.png
Views:	313
Size:	60.0 KB
ID:	124412   Click image for larger version

Name:	futurademiboldclockpage.png
Views:	290
Size:	62.3 KB
ID:	124420  

Last edited by NiLuJe; 06-20-2014 at 09:19 PM.
Old 06-20-2014, 10:00 PM   #44
NiLuJe
BLAM!

Okay, I lied.

Code:
#! /bin/sh
#
# $Id$
#

# Fugly POC
# Be nice!
renice -n 10 $$

# Do some minimal device checks...
# Use Futura if it exists
if [ -f "/usr/java/lib/fonts/Futura-DemiBold.ttf" ] ; then
	CLOCK_FONT="/usr/java/lib/fonts/Futura-DemiBold.ttf"
else
	# Barring that, go with Caecilia, because Helvetica is friggin awful.
	CLOCK_FONT="/usr/java/lib/fonts/Caecilia_LT_75_Bold.ttf"
fi
# Detect the correct screen size... (Adapted from the logic in BatteryStatus)
kmodel="$(cut -c3-4 /proc/usid)"
case "${kmodel}" in
	"24" | "1B" | "1D" | "1F" | "1C" | "20" | "D4" | "5A" | "D5" | "D6" | "D7" | "D8" | "F2" )
		# PaperWhite...
		SCREEN_X_RES=758
		SCREEN_Y_RES=1024
	;;
	* )
		# Handle legacy devices...
		if [ -f "/etc/rc.d/functions" ] && grep "EIPS" "/etc/rc.d/functions" > /dev/null 2>&1 ; then
			. /etc/rc.d/functions
		else
			# Touch
			SCREEN_X_RES=600	# _v_width @ upstart/functions
			SCREEN_Y_RES=800	# _v_height @ upstart/functions
		fi
	;;
esac
# NOTE: Mostly randomly chosen, tweak me if needed
case "${SCREEN_Y_RES}" in
	"800" )
		CLOCK_SIZE="${SCREEN_X_RES}x20"
	;;
	"1200" )
		# FIXME: Can't remember if /etc/rc.d/functions is actually accurate on DX/DXG, or if we need to fake it ourselves
		CLOCK_SIZE="${SCREEN_X_RES}x30"
	;;
	"758" )
		CLOCK_SIZE="${SCREEN_X_RES}x26"
	;;
esac

# And the actual work...
clock_watch()
{
	LAST_TIME="13:37"
	# Let's loop!
	while : ; do
		# Check the time...
		CURRENT_TIME="$(date +%H:%M)"
		if [ "${CURRENT_TIME}" != "${LAST_TIME}" ] ; then
			# It changed, draw the clock!
			LAST_TIME="${CURRENT_TIME}"
			# Start by building a composite of the current screen w/ a clock at the bottom (Kill the undercolor if annoying. Useful when the time changes on the same page).
			/mnt/us/usbnet/bin/fbgrab -z 0 - 2>/dev/null | /mnt/us/linkss/bin/convert PNG:- -gravity south -compose src-over -background "#0000" -fill black -font "${CLOCK_FONT}" -undercolor white -gravity south -size "${CLOCK_SIZE}" caption:"${CURRENT_TIME}" -composite -quality 00 -define png:bit-depth=8 /var/tmp/clock.png
			# And then print it, without flashing
			eips -g /var/tmp/clock.png
			# And clean up behind us
			rm -f /var/tmp/clock.png
		fi
		# See you in thirty!
		sleep 30
	done
	return 0
}

# Sneakily launch the clock watch in the background
clock_watch &
echo "* Clock watch backgrounded w/ PID $!"

# See ya'
exit 0
Since I went all the way with IM, it's friggin' expensive, but hey, it works.

Last edited by NiLuJe; 06-20-2014 at 10:15 PM.
Old 06-21-2014, 11:45 AM   #45
zxczxc
Addict
zxczxc knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.zxczxc knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.zxczxc knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.zxczxc knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.zxczxc knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.zxczxc knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.zxczxc knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.zxczxc knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.zxczxc knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.zxczxc knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.zxczxc knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.

Device: PW
very nice screenshots niluje!
i'm curious, what fonts and sizes are needed to make it look stock, so that it is the same font/size as the location and percent text?
zxczxc is offline   Reply With Quote