Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 01-25-2013, 01:32 PM   #46
Graham
Wizard
Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H20, Pixel 2, Samsung Chromebook Plus
Quote:
Originally Posted by WillysJeepMan View Post
Here in the US, the N10 is the same price as the iPad (for the same storage capacity).
I thought the US prices were $399 for the 16 GB Wifi Nexus 10 and $499 for the 16 GB Wifi Retina iPad?

Edit: If you're talking about the iPad 2, the price for that in the UK is £329, so still £10 more than the Nexus 10. However, previous generation tablets such as the Samsung 10" Tab are retailing at £299, and available discounted from that.

Graham

Last edited by Graham; 01-25-2013 at 01:37 PM.
Graham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 01:33 PM   #47
TGS
Country Member
TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Liseuse: Irex DR800. PRS 505 in the house, and the missus has an iPad.
Wouldn't it be great if Apple went down the tubes, throwing thousands of people out of work and denying some of the best mass market design to millions of people...but what would be the best thing about it is that the very clever Apple knockers would be left with the warm rosy glow of being right.
TGS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 01:55 PM   #48
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
Originally Posted by WillysJeepMan View Post
Does this 8.9 = 10.1 math work only against Apple?

You're the one that made the claim that Apple offers "less for a premium price". I made the mistake of thinking that it was a serious comment, not just an anti-Apple drive-by. Sorry.
Works against anyone; including Samsung. What I wanted was a quality 9"~10" tablet with a retina display, priced at ~$250 to be used for video streaming. Brand didn't matter.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 01:59 PM   #49
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
Originally Posted by TGS View Post
Wouldn't it be great if Apple went down the tubes, throwing thousands of people out of work and denying some of the best mass market design to millions of people...but what would be the best thing about it is that the very clever Apple knockers would be left with the warm rosy glow of being right.
Never fear, Samsung has great mass market design too
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 03:58 PM   #50
afv011
Captain Penguin
afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Nook Glowlight
Quote:
Originally Posted by vaughnmr View Post
Hmmmm... I show N10 at $399 vs Ipad at $499 for the 16gb models, $499 vs $599 for the 32gb models. Using Repub math? or older ipads for comparison.
Not to mention the N10 has a better screen and better CPU, plus GPS and all the other goodies.
afv011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 04:53 PM   #51
Fbone
Is that a sandwich?
Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Glowlight Plus
Is the Nexus 10 available? I'm not finding anyone that sells it or in stock for $399.
Fbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 05:04 PM   #52
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fbone View Post
Is the Nexus 10 available? I'm not finding anyone that sells it or in stock for $399.
Me neither.
I just shrugged and went with the FireHD8.9/32.
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 05:17 PM   #53
Graham
Wizard
Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H20, Pixel 2, Samsung Chromebook Plus
Not much help for you over there, but if anyone in the UK's been waiting it's back in stock on Google Play here.
Graham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 07:13 PM   #54
afv011
Captain Penguin
afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graham View Post
Not much help for you over there, but if anyone in the UK's been waiting it's back in stock on Google Play here.
The 16GB has been in stock for a couple of days now in Canada as well.
Old 01-26-2013, 04:23 PM   #55
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Well, Samsung is onboard with 8 inches.
They're reportedly dropping the (in-development) Galaxy Tab 3 7in in favor of a Galaxy Tab 3 8in (alongside the Galaxy Note 8).
http://www.sammobile.com/2013/01/26/...lets-upcoming/
Via: http://mikecanex.wordpress.com/2013/...ed/#more-36598

Current plans:
Quote:
Code name – KONA
Official name – Galaxy Note 8.0
GT-N5100 – Galaxy Note 8.0
GT-N5110 – Galaxy Note 8.0 Wi-Fi
GT-N5120 – Galaxy Note 8.0 LTE

Code name – SANTOS (DROPPED)
Official name – Galaxy Tab 3 7.0
GT-P3200 – Galaxy Tab 3 7.0
GT-P3210 – Galaxy Tab 3 7.0 Wi-Fi
GT-P3220 – Galaxy Tab 3 7.0 LTE

Code name – SANTOS
Official name – Galaxy Tab 3 8.0
GT-***** – Galaxy Tab 3 8.0
GT-***** – Galaxy Tab 3 8.0 Wi-Fi
GT-***** – Galaxy Tab 3 8.0 LTE
Old 01-27-2013, 02:00 PM   #56
Lemurion
eReader
Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Note 5; PW3; Nook HD+; ChuWi Hi12; iPad
I'm a 10.1" Tab person.

I use it a lot for comics, and 7" just isn't feasible for my eyes.
Lemurion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 03:27 PM   #57
afv011
Captain Penguin

Quote:
Originally Posted by fjtorres View Post
Well, Samsung is onboard with 8 inches.
They're reportedly dropping the (in-development) Galaxy Tab 3 7in in favor of a Galaxy Tab 3 8in (alongside the Galaxy Note 8).
http://www.sammobile.com/2013/01/26/...lets-upcoming/
Via: http://mikecanex.wordpress.com/2013/...ed/#more-36598

Current plans:
What's the difference between a "Tab" and a "Tab wifi"?
Old 01-27-2013, 04:45 PM   #58
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by afv011 View Post
What's the difference between a "Tab" and a "Tab wifi"?
I read it as "3G", so you have a 3G, a WiFi, and an LTE variant. Same design, different radios.

Just remember those are internal designs not announced products.
They might decide to drop some variants or market them to different countries.
The main takeaway for me is that they are now designing to 8in instead of seven. Which makes financial sense when you consider how the generic android 7inchers are marching towards US$99. The build cost of an 8incher wouldn't be much higher, if at all, but they'll be able to price them higher.

Last edited by fjtorres; 01-27-2013 at 04:49 PM.
Old 01-27-2013, 08:47 PM   #59
xendula
eBookworm
xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4B/K ~ Nexus 7 ~ Kindle Paperwhite 1&2 ~ iPad Air
Quote:
Originally Posted by wizwor View Post
Funny thing is that 8" is just too big for me. It won't slip in my pocket. The KFHD *just* makes it. That's one of the things I like best about my KF.
My pockets are sometimes not even big enough for my Blackberry, so no size tablet would ever fit. Funny how there is no one size fits all; we all use our tablets for different purposes with portability taking the back-seat or not, depending on the individual.

I managed to revive my Nexus 7, and it's fine for reading ebooks, but I grab my iPad for everything else.
xendula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 10:08 PM   #60
NickyWithNook
Guru
NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire, Kindle Paperwhite (Don't use Nook anymore)
When I replace my iPad, it will be with an iPad mini. Maybe when an iPad mini with a retina display is released. I'd love to have something I can put in my purse. A cell phone is a bit small to be as useable for me, but a regular iPad is too big to go in the purse.
NickyWithNook is offline   Reply With Quote