Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 11-21-2007, 10:33 AM   #16
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Icarusbop View Post
I'm concerned however about the wireless thing. As it uses the GSM network but doesn't have a sim card (to pay for the services). I would think there is some kind of agreement with the Cellnet companies and Amazon. The chances are, unless it is officially released in the UK, the Wireless features will not work in the UK.
No, it doesn't use GSM, it uses EVDO which is a technology built on CDMA networks. The wireless facilities are provided solely by the US telecoms operator "Sprint", so it certainly won't work outside the USA.

Quote:
Therefore getting books onto it would involve the same amount of work as for the Cybook and Sony - you have to get the book into the format you want, then dump it onto the Kindle via USB. It doesn't look like it reads 'normal' mobipocket books however and I don't think there is a PC conversion kit to make the books for you. Leaving you with RTF's and Txt's (presuming these are supported natively).
It does read DRM-free Mobipocket format books. RTF is not supported. Text is.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2007, 10:45 AM   #17
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by sarahw2275 View Post
It is the Kindle that I want. Sorry, I know people love their Sony and Cybook readers, but Sony is out for me because of the mac issue, and I'm really not keen on the Cybook. I'd prefer to go wit Amazon, so any advice about getting a virtual credit card etc would be greatly appreciated.
The problem is, how would you get your content? When you buy a kindle book on Amazon it is delivered to your Kindle over the Sprint Cellular network. There is no option to download it, from what I have seen and heard.

So, until there is wireless support for the Kindle outside the US I think the Sony or Cybook is actually a better choice.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2007, 10:49 AM   #18
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
The problem is, how would you get your content? When you buy a kindle book on Amazon it is delivered to your Kindle over the Sprint Cellular network. There is no option to download it, from what I have seen and heard.

So, until there is wireless support for the Kindle outside the US I think the Sony or Cybook is actually a better choice.

BOb
No. You can download the ebook to your PC, and use a USB cable to transfer it to the Kindle.
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2007, 01:10 PM   #19
sarahw2275
Connoisseur
sarahw2275 began at the beginning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate the great View Post
No. You can download the ebook to your PC, and use a USB cable to transfer it to the Kindle.
That's exactly what I plan on doing, if I find out whether the Virtual Credit Card thing will work.
sarahw2275 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2007, 01:23 PM   #20
melmurray
Enthusiast
melmurray began at the beginning.

Don't forget to keep us informed!

Has anyone over here in Europe ordered a Kindle yet, through friends in the US or trying Sarahw2275's method?
melmurray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2007, 02:27 PM   #21
resistor
resistor has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: None
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
No, it doesn't use GSM, it uses EVDO which is a technology built on CDMA networks. The wireless facilities are provided solely by the US telecoms operator "Sprint", so it certainly won't work outside the USA.
Just for clarity, while WhiserpNet's EVDO deal is with Sprint, they're not the only EVDO/CDMA provider in the US. Verizon also uses CDMA, in addition to various smaller networks like MetroPCS.
resistor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2007, 03:14 PM   #22
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by resistor View Post
Just for clarity, while WhiserpNet's EVDO deal is with Sprint, they're not the only EVDO/CDMA provider in the US. Verizon also uses CDMA, in addition to various smaller networks like MetroPCS.
Isn't metro an MVNO on top of Sprint or Verizons network?

What do all the wireless providers use? I think T-Mobile and at&t are GSM (TDMA) while Sprint, Alltel, Verizon using CDMA2000. Do ALL carriers outside the US use GSM?

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2007, 03:49 PM   #23
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
Isn't metro an MVNO on top of Sprint or Verizons network?

What do all the wireless providers use? I think T-Mobile and at&t are GSM (TDMA) while Sprint, Alltel, Verizon using CDMA2000. Do ALL carriers outside the US use GSM?

BOb
There was a list posted in one of these forums showing many locations outside the US that use CDMA but Europe uses GSM.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2007, 06:16 PM   #24
tsgreer
Lovin' the e-book life...
tsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with others

Device: Ebookwise 1150, Sony PRS-505, Amazon Kindle, BeBook (with OpenInkpot)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Is there software for the Kindle that works with OS X? If not, then the Kindle will need you to have a Windows setup in order to to use the software. I know for sure there is no version of Mobipocket for OS X. So using that to convert content is a no go with OS X.
I have a Mac and Kindle does indeed mount as a flash disk under OS X which will allow file transfers. And I have a 1 gig SD card in the Kindle and that shows up on my mac as another flash disk. So it works perfectly. I have copied several books over both via download and usb transfer.

As was mentioned before, for the conversion workaround, you just email your .html or .doc files to the @free.kindle.com addy they supply you with and and they convert to un DRM'd .azw files and email you the converted file. For me, it takes around 5 minutes or so to get the file emailed back to you. And as we all know, the un-DRM'd .azw file is just a .prc (mobi) file with a different extension.

Jjust for consistency and to keep it along with my other .prc files (mostly downloaded from here at mobilread), I just rename the extension to .prc and it shows up on Kindle fine.

And Kovid mentioned that he is working on a html2prc program, so if that even comes close to working as good as his other programs, it will solve this minor mac conversion issue.

Last edited by tsgreer; 11-21-2007 at 06:18 PM.
tsgreer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2007, 09:22 PM   #25
mrsp
Connoisseur
mrsp began at the beginning.

Device: palm T2
Quote:
Why do you believe that the Sony is a better option, as a matter of interest?
All the readers have pros & cons functionally. My belief that Sony or Kindle are better options are really just my personal opinions only based on the fact that they are cheaper, they are large recognised corporations with the resources to keep a foothold as things open up to more and more devices and because I don't like the customer service I've experienced from Bookeen or their attitude to differential pricing.

Seeing what the kindle can do and today finding out that Dymocks here in Australia are bringing out their own reader locally, I'm glad to have held back a little bit to see how things pan out.

For lots of people Cybook is probably the best option but not for everyone.
mrsp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2007, 10:12 PM   #26
Alisa
Gadget Geek
Alisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongue

Device: Paperwhite, Kindle 3 (retired), Skindle 1.2 (retired)
Quote:
I'm curious about why you'd want one? The only thing that really differentiates the Kindle from any other eInk bookreader at present is the wireless download, and that won't work outside North America. If all you want to do is read books, you may as well just buy a CyBook!
Actually the wireless wasn't a huge deal for me (aside from Wikipedia search). The biggest factors for me over the Cybook were library search as well as dictionary search and the ability to annotate and excerpt text. I was ready to go with the Cybook because I thought my chance of getting anything like that short of an iLiad was slim, but now I can have those features for pretty much the same price.
Alisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2007, 06:34 AM   #27
tompe
Grand Sorcerer
tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Nexus 5, Kindle PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsp View Post
they are large recognised corporations with the resources to keep a foothold as things open up to more and more devices and because I don't like the customer service I've experienced from Bookeen or their attitude to differential pricing.
My reasoning is that since Sony is a big company they will probably not be as fast to fix bugs in the firmware as a small company. And they will probably be more reluctant to add new functionality.
tompe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2007, 06:37 AM   #28
tompe
Grand Sorcerer
tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Nexus 5, Kindle PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alisa View Post
Actually the wireless wasn't a huge deal for me (aside from Wikipedia search). The biggest factors for me over the Cybook were library search as well as dictionary search and the ability to annotate and excerpt text. I was ready to go with the Cybook because I thought my chance of getting anything like that short of an iLiad was slim, but now I can have those features for pretty much the same price.
I am thinking the same way and if I had not already bought a Gen3 and if it was easier to buy a Kindle from Europe it would be a really hard decision what to buy. I really like that you can annotate and excerpt text on the Kindle.
tompe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2007, 08:03 AM   #29
sarahw2275
Connoisseur
sarahw2275 began at the beginning.

Has anyone had any experience using virtual credit cards? I think it's my only option right now and I've looked into a few, but I'm wary in case they're a con. Anyone?
sarahw2275 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2007, 09:43 AM   #30
gwynevans
Wizzard
gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad 2, iPhone 6s, Kindle Voyage & Kindle PaperWhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by sarahw2275 View Post
Has anyone had any experience using virtual credit cards? I think it's my only option right now...
No experience but while browsing the USA2ME site, I noticed that they have a "Personal Shopper" option, where they buy for you, although it'll cost 10%.
gwynevans is offline   Reply With Quote