Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 05-07-2007, 12:13 PM   #181
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Agreed totally. At least Sony are aware of it- that's good news, at least.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2007, 02:19 PM   #182
diabloNL
Gadget Force®
diabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with others

Device: Sony PRS-300 + Cybook with funny screen :P
The battery life for me is the same before and after the upgrade. Maybe Harry is right and the CPU should go in a "low power mode". I'm starting to think that because I had this problem with the battery life already before the upgrade that maybe my CPU refused to go in "low power mode" before the upgrade.

I know it's all speculation but I can't understand why I had/have the problem you guys have already before the upgrade.
diabloNL is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-07-2007, 02:38 PM   #183
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
Because you're precocious?
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2007, 06:48 AM   #184
astra
The Introvert
astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-650 & 505 & 500
I have not updated the firmware and I experience the same battery depletion as the rest of you, which is about 3-4 weeks before I have to re-charge the reader again. The only difference is that I don't have this bug with power meter. So, I believe the new firmware didn't mess this particular aspect of the reader.
astra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2007, 06:58 AM   #185
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

That's interesting to know. Thanks, A-L!
Advert
Old 05-08-2007, 07:11 PM   #186
Amadeus
Amadeus began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-500 Reader
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT
USB chargers don't work with the Reader - you'll find that the charge light doesn't come on. Even charging on a PC's USB port won't work unless the "Connect" software is installed on that PC!
That is another piece of astounding daftness from Sony which I discovered for myself last week. At work with the Reader I saw it was down to one bar and wanted to take it away with me for a day. Decided to connect it to the USB of a computer that didn't have the Connect software installed.

After a couple of hours I disconnected it and set off on my trip. Only when I got on the train did I discover that my charging attempt had actually completely flattened the battery - and I didn't have the Sony charger with me! Grrrr!
Amadeus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2007, 07:23 PM   #187
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
This is probably a good point to re-mention that the PSP chargers will charge the Reader quite handily -- they're cheaper than the Reader chargers, and more widely available too.
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2007, 03:01 AM   #188
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

... and have the advantage, if you're travelling, that they are available world-wide, whereas the Reader charger is only available in the US!
Old 05-09-2007, 05:24 PM   #189
MikeS
MikeS began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-500 (Sony Reader)
Quote:
Originally Posted by diabloNL
The battery life for me is the same before and after the upgrade.
The same here. If there is any difference at all then it is hard to notice. No matter how many pages I do, the battery meter drops 1 bar per week. As HarryT pointed out, Sony could have done much better since the battery itself can hold for many months (this is what I've learnt from some other thread). It seems that when you switch your reader off then if fact you don't switch it off at all, besides the fact that the screen goes blank. I really don't understand why they decided to do this way.
As far as I understand it 'shutting down' the OS and putting cpu in sleep mode could save lot of energy. Take a look at ACPI and how many different sleep modes ordinary notebook supports. I wish the reader could do at least the basic ones, G2 or G3
Whereas I'm not a big optimist here, I hope the new firmware will be a step in good direction, in terms of saving energy.

P.S DiabloNL - you did a great job. BTW, it is funny, because once I read some of your posts I thought to myself that possibly we are experiencing the same thing and the problem isn't a bad battery but having the ability (or rather lack of ability) to read 4 or 5 thousand pages in 3-4 weeks.
MikeS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2007, 03:04 AM   #190
diabloNL
Gadget Force®
diabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with others

Device: Sony PRS-300 + Cybook with funny screen :P
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeS
The same here. If there is any difference at all then it is hard to notice. No matter how many pages I do, the battery meter drops 1 bar per week. As HarryT pointed out, Sony could have done much better since the battery itself can hold for many months (this is what I've learnt from some other thread). It seems that when you switch your reader off then if fact you don't switch it off at all, besides the fact that the screen goes blank. I really don't understand why they decided to do this way.
As far as I understand it 'shutting down' the OS and putting cpu in sleep mode could save lot of energy. Take a look at ACPI and how many different sleep modes ordinary notebook supports. I wish the reader could do at least the basic ones, G2 or G3
Whereas I'm not a big optimist here, I hope the new firmware will be a step in good direction, in terms of saving energy.

P.S DiabloNL - you did a great job. BTW, it is funny, because once I read some of your posts I thought to myself that possibly we are experiencing the same thing and the problem isn't a bad battery but having the ability (or rather lack of ability) to read 4 or 5 thousand pages in 3-4 weeks.
I think that is the problem. So if we want to experience great battery life we have to read more.
diabloNL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2007, 05:22 AM   #191
astra
The Introvert
astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-650 & 505 & 500
I am getting a bit pessimistic regarding new software updates. Looks like there are going to be more advanced eInk screens out there pretty soon. In fact just in a few month time and Sony might have decided it would more benefitial to invest their time/energy/money/resources in a new version of the reader instead of bothering with the old one, because there are going to be more companies making ebook readers with new screens and the old reader will not be able to compete with them.

Hopefully we will get one more update.
astra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2007, 03:40 PM   #192
kb7rjf
kb7rjf began at the beginning.

I found out (the hard way) that overnight plugged into the USB charger for my Blackberry did a good job of draining the battery. I guess the reader kept trying to connect to a non-existant host, and drained itself dry. I was able to recharge through my Mac Powerbook, even though there is no software, the USB did connect, which was, apparently, enough for the reader to charge.
kb7rjf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2007, 05:37 PM   #193
Nightwing
Addict
Nightwing will become famous soon enoughNightwing will become famous soon enoughNightwing will become famous soon enoughNightwing will become famous soon enoughNightwing will become famous soon enoughNightwing will become famous soon enough

Device: Cowon A2 Dell x3i, Sony Reader & Eee PC!
Just finish the month long test... Would estimate no more than 20 pages total fliped, The meter was correct on charge for the month but died before 4 week went by. Just filiped it on and got the welcome screen.

Before the upgrade usually went about 5 to 6 weeks now can almost get 3.5 weeks with no use!

So either the battery has a defect or some one mucked up the sleep mode...

Next test will be full charge and flipping like crazy. May take a day or so to test...

PS: Thats with no SD card. Just main memory... and all original book still on it.

PS: Just started the recharge... Battery meter is only reading 3/4 but both light and lighting symbol are showing...

Last edited by Nightwing; 05-13-2007 at 05:43 PM.
Nightwing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2007, 04:31 PM   #194
WilliamG
Addict
WilliamG with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitWilliamG with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitWilliamG with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitWilliamG with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitWilliamG with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitWilliamG with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitWilliamG with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitWilliamG with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitWilliamG with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitWilliamG with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitWilliamG with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbit

I have to say this battery thing is driving me nuts. I understand the whole trick of unplugging it when it's charged and then plugging it in for a second after you turn the Reader on. However, that ONLY works if you use the AC adapter. When using USB, this doesn't work at all since the Reader goes into its "Do not disconnect" mode. I discovered this after charging my wife's Reader:

It had one bar left of charge. I did a full charge via a USB cord to my computer until the red charge light went out. I unplugged the Reader and it still displayed one bar. I plugged the USB cord back in while the Reader was on and then unplugged it. STILL one bar of charge showing.

The solution? Soft reset.

Hardly an attractive fix now, is it, having to find something to poke into the back of your Reader while bending the cover back. Not pleased at all.
WilliamG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2007, 09:13 PM   #195
Nightwing
Addict
Nightwing will become famous soon enoughNightwing will become famous soon enoughNightwing will become famous soon enoughNightwing will become famous soon enoughNightwing will become famous soon enoughNightwing will become famous soon enough

Device: Cowon A2 Dell x3i, Sony Reader & Eee PC!
Try this... Get a paper clip and a pair of pliers.. Bend the "free" end out but leave the rest as a handle. Then bend the stretch out end pependicular to the handle.

The main thing is why is it eating so much current in sleep mode? Or does the battery has a defect in it? I guess charging the battery and then disconnect it from the reader internals for a month shelf test would be the last possible test to run.

It should be using just enough micro watts to pole the switch on the side and possible the timer. Everything else should be off so to speak.

Here is the bother. Only turning 20 pages for 30 days it should not be dead! But was dead. Before I ran the month and was about 1/4 to almost 1/2 gauge and flipping pages like crazy!

I saw just after the update that I was getting less running time or found it basicaly dead when I should have had enough power for a read...

Power level meters are tough to hit right on these type or any batteries...

Last edited by Nightwing; 06-03-2007 at 09:18 PM. Reason: Adding to comments...
Nightwing is offline   Reply With Quote