Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 12-22-2006, 11:33 AM   #1
ultim8fury
Addict
ultim8fury has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ultim8fury has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ultim8fury has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ultim8fury has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: PRS500, Looking at 700
Connect actually listening to this forum ?

I asked for Trudi Canavan and within a couple of weeks her first 3 books hit the store.

A couple of weeks ago Terry Pratchett was mentioned and low and behold 2 of his books have hit the store.

Good job Connect.

Now all I need is "Fly fishing" by J.R.Hartley. (UK centric joke)

In all seriousness though, the store catalogue is building up nicely. The search function still needs work and a software update would be great but I'm pleased that some effort is being put in.

What are other peoples impressions now that we're a few months in ?
ultim8fury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2006, 02:42 AM   #2
JoeTampa
JoeTampa began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Reader
Still missing some Bill Bryson and Tom Clancy... Even though many of the missing books are available from other E-book stores.
JoeTampa is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-31-2006, 01:48 PM   #3
RWood
Technogeezer
RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500
I think it is filling in nicely. And one great point over my local book store -- they're never out of stock of any title they carry.

Now you mention that it seems that some of the Sony people are reading this forum, I know that others are not yet reading this forum. I have talked to 2 of the 8 people providing support for the reader via the phones and neither of them admitted to have heard of mobileread before I mentioned it to them. (The 8 support people was their answer when I asked "How many of you are there?") So we know that now 25% of the support staff have heard of mobileread.
RWood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2007, 07:15 AM   #4
FangornUK
Addict
FangornUK has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.FangornUK has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.FangornUK has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.FangornUK has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Sony PRS-505, iPad, Kindle 3
We bought Crichton's Next novel but I was very disappointed with the BBeB formatting of the document, looked very rushed.
FangornUK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2007, 09:37 AM   #5
ultim8fury
Addict
ultim8fury has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ultim8fury has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ultim8fury has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ultim8fury has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: PRS500, Looking at 700
Interesting. I've not read that particular book but I was conversely very impressed with the formatting of the Pratchett books that are available. The "hidden" pages that are used for the footnotes worked incredibly well. I can only assume that there is more than one company doing the work.
ultim8fury is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-02-2007, 02:59 PM   #6
FangornUK
Addict
FangornUK has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.FangornUK has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.FangornUK has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.FangornUK has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Sony PRS-505, iPad, Kindle 3
Some publishers I've noticed that take particular care with BBeBs are:
simon & schuster
Rosetta Books
Random House

I wish Connect had a facility to preview the first 10 pages of the book. I really wouldn't have bought "Next" if I had seen it first.
FangornUK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2007, 04:58 PM   #7
giedre
Connoisseur
giedre is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.giedre is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.giedre is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.giedre is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.giedre is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.giedre is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.giedre is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.giedre is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.giedre is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.giedre is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.giedre is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.

Device: Sony 500,505, Kindle, 1150
Yes, I had mentioned Koontz, and while it wasn't the particular books by him, they did have a Koontz book shortly thereafter. Hmm, maybe it was there all along and I just didn't look for it. Either way, they are shaping up nicely and I always preview many of the books that they have just added {as notified by email}. I think that just as long as they have more books than I can read {those I like}, then I'm a happy camper!
giedre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2007, 11:18 PM   #8
L1Wulf
Enthusiast
L1Wulf began at the beginning.

Device: nook
Quote:
Originally Posted by FangornUK
Some publishers I've noticed that take particular care with BBeBs are:
simon & schuster
Rosetta Books
Random House

I wish Connect had a facility to preview the first 10 pages of the book. I really wouldn't have bought "Next" if I had seen it first.
Total agreement about a better preview. When I am in a book store looking at a prospective new book from an unknown (to me at least) author, I usually skip to the first page or two, a quarter and the halfway point for an idea of the story and the author's writing style.

If the first two pages pass scrutiny, I look deeper into the book just to make sure that I'm happy with the style and storytelling further on, just to be sure the book didn't start off with a bang then fizzle out.

Kind of hard to do this with ebooks.
L1Wulf is offline   Reply With Quote