Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > iRex

Notices

Old 06-02-2010, 10:36 AM   #1
nprnncbl
nprnncbl began at the beginning.

Device: Entourage Edge
swap out 3G

Has anyone tried swapping out the mini-pcie card in the DR800? I'd be interested in replacing the 3G card with a wifi/bluetooth card. I realize this would also need software support-- kernel modules, etc.

For that matter, has anyone opened the case? How difficult is it to get at the internals?

Thanks!
nprnncbl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2010, 11:22 AM   #2
al1972
Enthusiast
al1972 began at the beginning.

Device: DR800SG, IPad
As i can see, reading all few forums, there was no attempts.
However, I believe, the future is with stopping of IREX dealing with Verizon only. DR800sg's module supports much wider spectrum of operators and protocols. It will be stupid marketing in front of every major electronic company working under its own digital reader. Hope, they will think about it and unhook DR800SG from exclusive Verizon support. And, think, DR has SIM-card slot, but Verizon does NOT need SIM-card(!!!), since it's 3G already. So, what's for SIM-card slot presented here?! May be, for future developments...

Last edited by al1972; 06-02-2010 at 11:25 AM.
al1972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-02-2010, 11:36 AM   #3
al1972
Enthusiast
al1972 began at the beginning.

Device: DR800SG, IPad
howewer, question is right.
But I think, that chance for internals to show up is equal to proportion of people who talk by the mobile phones (planty internal schemes and photos) to people who are read digital readers (in our case, DR800SG)...Do your guess!)
al1972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2010, 04:45 PM   #4
Shaggy
Wizard
Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iRex iLiad, DR800SG
Quote:
Originally Posted by al1972 View Post
As i can see, reading all few forums, there was no attempts.
However, I believe, the future is with stopping of IREX dealing with Verizon only. DR800sg's module supports much wider spectrum of operators and protocols. It will be stupid marketing in front of every major electronic company working under its own digital reader. Hope, they will think about it and unhook DR800SG from exclusive Verizon support. And, think, DR has SIM-card slot, but Verizon does NOT need SIM-card(!!!), since it's 3G already. So, what's for SIM-card slot presented here?! May be, for future developments...
They were trying to work out deals with other carriers besides Verizon, but have not been able to reach any agreements yet. It wasn't planned to be exclusive to Verizon, that's just the only one they've worked out a deal with so far.
Shaggy is offline   Reply With Quote