Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 12-07-2009, 11:54 PM   #1
Critteranne
Guru
Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, iPad
Any Lovecraftian/Mythos E-books?

This weekend, I "unearthed" some of my H. P. Lovecraft paperbacks -- as well as anthologies of Lovecraft pastiches, such as mythos stories written by Robert E. Howard, Ramsey Campbell, etc. That's when I remembered that I have some "Lovecraftian" e-books I got from indie e-book publishers. For example, I have Lovecraft mythos e-books by Stephen Mark Rainey, G. W. Thomas, and Marc Sanchez.

So there must be some other Lovecraftian e-books out there -- besides the books by H. P. himself. Can anyone recommend some? Have any of you written Lovecraft pastiches that you want me to buy?
Critteranne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009, 10:25 AM   #2
mrsquash
Connoisseur
mrsquash will become famous soon enoughmrsquash will become famous soon enoughmrsquash will become famous soon enoughmrsquash will become famous soon enoughmrsquash will become famous soon enoughmrsquash will become famous soon enough

Device: K4-NT, Sony T1
If you haven't read it, you should check out Neil Gaiman's "A Study in Emerald". There's a free PDF download at his page here:
http://www.neilgaiman.com/p/Cool_Stuff/Short_Stories

If you're also a Sherlock Holmes fan, so much the better.

The "Girls at Parties" story on that page is great, too, but has nothing to do with Cthulhu.

Charles Stross's "The Atrocity Archives" is good and is available as an ebook. He also had several short stories with a Cthulhu theme, several of which used to be floating around the web as freebies. I remember one I particularly liked was called "A Boy and His God."
mrsquash is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-08-2009, 11:29 AM   #3
poohbear_nc
Now what?
poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Every Kindle Ever Made & To Be Made!
"Shadows Over Baker Street" - an anthology of Lovecraftian Sherlock Holmes pastiches - BTW - it has the Gaiman story in it.
poohbear_nc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009, 09:34 PM   #4
radius
Lector minore
radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aura One, Samsung Galaxy Tab S5e, Google Pixel Slate
While not precisely Lovecraft, the writings of Clark Ashton Smith are similar in tone (and I think better in mood if not in plot). Try http://www.eldritchdark.com

Edit: It appears that Eldritch Dark is the only place on-line where you can read CAS' stories, so there are no pre-packaged copies available for you. But it is easy to take the HTML source and create Mobi, ePub, or LRF books.

Smith was a friend and contemporary of Lovecraft (along with Robert E. Howard I believe) so you will find some of the same flavour in the "strange" tales of all three. Definitely check out some of REH's work as well.

Edit again: Obviously I meant some of REH's strange tales that don't strictly belong to the Chthulhu mythos.

Last edited by radius; 12-10-2009 at 10:15 AM.
radius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2009, 09:47 AM   #5
BenG
Home Guard
BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3G, iPhone 6
Try "Move Underground". It's a pastiche of the Beat writers and Lovecraft.
Jack Kerouac, Neal Cassidy and William S. Burroughs try to save the world from the Cthulhu cult.

It was nominated for a Bram Stoker Award for Best First Novel and it's free at http://www.moveunderground.org/
BenG is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-09-2009, 10:57 AM   #6
BenG
Home Guard
BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3G, iPhone 6
I forgot that it's available here at MobileRead in Mobi and LRF formats
BenG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2009, 06:56 PM   #7
Critteranne
Guru
Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by radius View Post
While not precisely Lovecraft, the writings of Clark Ashton Smith are similar in tone (and I think better in mood if not in plot). Try http://www.eldritchdark.com
Have you read the 1997 collection The Throne of Bones by Brian McNaughton? It was a World Fantasy Award Winner, and while some people have called it a Mythos novel, it has been compared more often to Clark Ashton Smith.
http://www.fictionwise.com/ebooks/b1407/?si=0

Warning: It's very gross with ghouls not only eating the dead but having lots of sex. It's also nonlinear. I loved it, but maybe I'm a sick puppy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by radius View Post
Edit: It appears that Eldritch Dark is the only place on-line where you can read CAS' stories, so there are no pre-packaged copies available for you. But it is easy to take the HTML source and create Mobi, ePub, or LRF books.
I may still have a collection I downloaded back when I was still reading on my Palm IIIXe. By the way, Fictionwise does have a few CAS collections for sale -- multiformat. They come from Wildside Press, which also published The Throne of Bones.

I have some really nice REH collections that I should crack open. Heck, I even have the movie about Robert E. Howard and his girlfriend. And his suicide.
Critteranne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2009, 12:18 AM   #8
garygibsonsf
Addict
garygibsonsf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.garygibsonsf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.garygibsonsf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.garygibsonsf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.garygibsonsf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.garygibsonsf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.garygibsonsf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.garygibsonsf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.garygibsonsf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.garygibsonsf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.garygibsonsf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle Paperwhite
There's a new novel called 'The Mall of Cthulhu' on sale at Baen's ebook site that looks like it might be pretty decent. Published by Nightshade Books, I believe.

I also second Atrocity Archives.
garygibsonsf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2009, 08:00 AM   #9
WillAdams
Wizard
WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle Paperwhite (300ppi), Samsung Galaxy Book 12
Paul Zimmer's Dark Border books are an interesting examination of what fighting against (or working for) an elder horror would be like (in a fantasy milieu).

William
WillAdams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2009, 08:54 AM   #10
Patricia
Reader
Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500, PRS-505, Asus EEEpc 4G
There's some Lovecraft Necronomicon links at the Sacred texts archive site:
http://www.sacred-texts.com/nec/index.htm
Patricia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2009, 11:35 AM   #11
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
I thoroughly enjoy most of Brian Lumley's work.

Don
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote