Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 10-14-2009, 04:12 AM   #1
oldgoat
oldgoat began at the beginning.

Device: None
Never Ending

I almost got caught caught up in the "bigger, better, faster, etc." game for E-Readers. In August a friend of mine showed me his new Kindle 2. I was just amazed. I began to look into the E-Reader world. I did a lot of reading about the various models from the different brands. At first I thought I would wait for the new Irex and the new Sony 900. Then the more I thought about it I decided I liked the idea of having a reader with simple button controls. I decided against the Kindle because of the proprietary format. I looked at the Sony 300 and thought that was nice but a bit two small. Then I came across a Sony 505. The more I read about the 505 the more I liked it. Costco had a sale on them but I missed that early on. I happend to check a WalMart. They actually had one left (brand new) and were asking 230.00. I asked for a manager and said if she would could drop the price to 200.00 I would take it. She did and I did. I'm very pleased with the 505. I have DL a book from the library, DL a couple from the forum here and purchased a couple from the Sony sight. The book I DL from the library is in the Adobe PDF format but it is still readable. Bottom line is I don't care about touch screens, a stylus, or larger screens. The 505 is a perfect fit for me but I almost got caught up in the wait for the next great thing to come along.

Old Goat
oldgoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2009, 09:32 AM   #2
DrMoze
Booknut
DrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with others

Device: Sony Reader 500/505/300/350, Nook Glowlight Plus (6")
Excellent. Enjoy! I don't think it's worth waiting forever for the "next thing" in ereader devices either. I bought a Sony 500 way back when they had the $60 deal. The 500 (Russified) is still being used regularly today by my gf, who was gifted it when I got a 505 later. I've read hundreds of books (OK, maybe 2-300) on the 505 in the meantime. The 6" screens are fine for reading books IMO--it's simply a comfortable reading experience. And, like you, I don't want/need a touch screen, etc. Just something that acts like a book. The 505 is a great device.
DrMoze is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-01-2016, 03:43 PM   #3
Al Adams
eBook Reader Nut
Al Adams began at the beginning.

Device: NookSimple Touch & 5 Android Tablet(s), & Personal Computer...
Excellent, to You Folks, I have several eReader Devices, All have Different Uses, The Back-Lighted Kindle Fire 5th Gen Model, and SAMSUNG Galaxy Tab A - SM-T550 are for Night-Time Low Room Light Reading (The Kindle Fire 7-Inch Tablet Cost $30.00 USD) & Several Nook Simple Touch Day-Time Outside Reading
( Nook ST Cost $50.00 Three Years ago 2014-Christmas) The Kindle Fire Loads OverDrive Public Library eBooks Fine, So the Format is NO Trouble at All ...
Al Adams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2016, 03:46 PM   #4
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Why are you posting to a 7-year-old thread?
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2016, 03:53 PM   #5
Al Adams
eBook Reader Nut
Al Adams began at the beginning.

Device: NookSimple Touch & 5 Android Tablet(s), & Personal Computer...
Smile Sorry Didn't Look at the Year ...

: Also Thought I Could Add to the Topic and Make a Timely Comment, as an Update, Things Have Changed to in the eReader World on these Devices !!!

Al Adams is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert

Tags
ereader nut