Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 10-06-2009, 05:37 AM   #1
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Would you pay more for a DRM free book?

I am curious if any enterprising author has approached his publisher with the concept of selling an ebook version of their work with two price points. Suggesting to the publisher that a DRM free version be made available for $?.?? more then the encrypted version and splitting the extra cash with the publisher.

If the cost was 2-4 dollars more but you got a DRM free book would you cough up the extra cash? What would you be willing to pay extra for this convenience?

I think there must be a price point that makes this a win-win-win proposition for the publisher, author and consumer. Implementing it would be a one time cost. The books can be encrypted just prior to download or left DRM free. Heck publishers could let authors opt in or out of such a deal. It wouldn't take too long before enough data came in to optimize this model.

Maybe I'm missing something.

What are your thoughts?

Update: Expanding my thought just a little. It seems to me that some publishers fear losing sales by going DRM free. Doing something like this might allow them to tip their toes in the water, run the number comparisons and possibly find out they had nothing to fear but increased sales.

Last edited by DoctorOhh; 10-06-2009 at 07:36 AM.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2009, 05:47 AM   #2
jeremy_ahn
Banned
jeremy_ahn began at the beginning.

Device: any
if it had no errors and was pleasingly formatted, then absolutely. i would pay the little more for the added freedom to convert and customize for my reader as need be for the consumer.
jeremy_ahn is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-06-2009, 05:53 AM   #3
tompe
Grand Sorcerer
tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Nexus 5, Kindle PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwanthny View Post
I am curious if any enterprising author has approached his publisher with the concept of selling an ebook version of their work with two price points. Suggesting to the publisher that a DRM free version be made available for $?.?? more then the encrypted version and splitting the extra cash with the publisher.

If the cost was 2-4 dollars more but you got a DRM free book would you cough up the extra cash? What would you be willing to pay extra for this convenience?
Well I would be willing to buy a DRM free book (I do not buy DRM infested books). But I would not be willing to pay much more than for a paper book. A bit more you can pay since you get search possibilities.
tompe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2009, 06:04 AM   #4
Solicitous
Wizard
Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Astak Pocket Pro (Black), 2 x Kindle WiFi (Graphite), iPod Touch 4G
I have no problem buying DRM laced content. What I have a problem with is if the DRM stops me from using the content in a way it should be used.

It is funny you posted this question. It really does seem that people would pay more for the freedom of DRM-free content. Kind of silly when you think about having to pay more for freedom.
Solicitous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2009, 06:11 AM   #5
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
No, I wouldn't. I do buy DRM'ed books, and the first thing I do is strip the DRM so it becomes useable to me.
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-06-2009, 06:24 AM   #6
HansTWN
Wizard
HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: HP Touchpad, Sony Duo 13, Lumia 920, Kobo Aura HD
The old Apple trick. Well, I definitely wouldn't pay more at current price levels. For very cheap books, perhaps 50cts or so. If a book was available in AZW format only (which cannot be DeDRMed) with and without DRM, then I definitely I would be willing to pay more for the book without.
HansTWN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2009, 07:27 AM   #7
Mike L
Wizard
Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Samsung Galaxy
It would depend on the book.

For a title that I knew I wanted to keep indefinitely, and read many times, I probably would pay more. But not for something I just download quickly to read on a train journey or because I've got nothing else to read.

What I would really value is the choice.
Mike L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2009, 07:27 AM   #8
ficbot
Wizard
ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite/iOS Kindle App
Depends on many things. First of all, like HansTWN said, not at current prices. And it depends on the file format. DRM-free eReader would be just as useless to me as DRM-laced eReader because my Sony doesn't read it. I do buy DRMd books right now and I remove the DRM so I can read it on my Sony.

Now, if we got to a world where all ebooks were $5 and had a common format which all popular devices supported, then maybe. But if all devices supported it, I would not need to remove it in order to read the book, so the DRM might now be an issue for me...
ficbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2009, 08:15 AM   #9
Crowl
Wizard
Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, PW Signature edition
Assuming they still kept the price of drm-free files below the paper book price then it would definitely be something I would be prepared to pay a slight premium to get rather than files with drm.

Now in an ideal world we would only be getting the drm-free files and hopefully thats what will eventually happen, but in the meantime at least having an option to show the publishers what is wanted rather than simply stripping the drm because the latter option just encourages them to carry on how they have been so far.
Crowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2009, 09:18 AM   #10
ahi
Wizard
ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
No. I would not pay more for the privilege of the publisher investing less money and effort into screwing me over.

- Ahi
ahi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2009, 09:20 AM   #11
lilac_jive
Grand Sorcerer
lilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud of

Device: PRS-505
I wouldn't. I already buy DRM books. I like cheap the most.
lilac_jive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2009, 09:44 AM   #12
DawnFalcon
Banned
DawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with others

Device: N/A
No. DRM reduces the value of a book. This is not the same thing at all as paying more for a DRM-free one.

Also, purchasing order again: DRM-free ebook > Second Hand paper book > New paper book > DRM-infected ebook.
DawnFalcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2009, 10:07 AM   #13
rcuadro
Wizard
rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle DX
I will not pay more for a DRM free book. I will just purchase the book and remove the DRM should I feel the need to do so.
rcuadro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2009, 10:30 AM   #14
SpiderMatt
Grand Arbiter
SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPod Touch, Amazon Kindle, Motorola Droid
As people above have pointed out, why pay more if you can just strip the DRM yourself?
SpiderMatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2009, 10:50 AM   #15
rixte
Addict
rixte ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rixte ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rixte ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rixte ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rixte ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rixte ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rixte ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rixte ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rixte ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rixte ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rixte ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: new oasis, paperwhite, ipad, kobo
I won't pay more. But I also won't buy a book I can't strip the DRM from.
rixte is offline   Reply With Quote