Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 01-21-2006, 11:16 AM   #1
Jaapjan
Avid reader
Jaapjan doesn't litterJaapjan doesn't litter

Device: HTC Touch Diamond, iLiad Book Edition
Good reader for 100$

I am looking for a good ebook reader for my sister. However, it should not cost more then 100 euro and have decent battery life. This is a bit hard, however I did eventually come upon the Palm Z22 which has eReader on it.

I do not want to get her to regret reading ebooks though...so I have a few questions. First, is she going to regret reading from a 160x160 pixel palm screen and second, is there a utility to make ereader books in an easy manner from home content. (Read, other formats)
Jaapjan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2006, 11:23 AM   #2
Laurens
Jah Blessed
Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.

Device: iPod Touch
Jaapjan, I would strongly recommend a Zire 31 instead, which has an SD slot. I think it's discontinued, but you should be able to ebay one fairly cheaply.
Laurens is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-21-2006, 12:01 PM   #3
Dick Tracy
Detective
Dick Tracy has a spectacular aura aboutDick Tracy has a spectacular aura aboutDick Tracy has a spectacular aura aboutDick Tracy has a spectacular aura aboutDick Tracy has a spectacular aura aboutDick Tracy has a spectacular aura aboutDick Tracy has a spectacular aura aboutDick Tracy has a spectacular aura aboutDick Tracy has a spectacular aura aboutDick Tracy has a spectacular aura aboutDick Tracy has a spectacular aura about

Device: Palm TX
DropBook, available at eReader.com, allows making eReader (formerly PalmReader & Peanut Reader) content. There is a free ebook, "Palm Markup Language Reference Guide" by Dan Muller at memoware.com that includes an MS Word macro to automate conversions for eReader.

If you are hesitant about the 160x160 resolution, see if you can find a used T|E, which has an excellent screen.
Dick Tracy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2006, 12:32 PM   #4
Brian
MobileRead Editor
Brian has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Treo 700p, Zodiac2
For $125 you can get a Zodiac 2 which a very good e-book reader. It doesn't meet your sub-$100 requirement, but I recommend you consider how much PDA you'd get.

http://tapland.com/news_arc/?id=653

You get a hand-picked Zodiac 2 with charger, sync cable, software CD, and other stock accessories, as well as a "spare" Zodiac that was returned for repair and that is used as a rear-cover donor.

Some of the Zodiac 2's finer points:

128MB internal memory
huge battery
Dual SD card slots
480X320 hi-res color screen with virtual Grafitti area
Stereo Speakers
Bluetooth
Brian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2006, 02:56 PM   #5
Unregistered
Nameless Being

z22 is a great reader

I've had a z22 for about two months and have read about 1500 print-size pages on it. In fact, reading ebooks has become one of my favorite uses for the z22. I, too, thought the screen would be too small or low quality, but not so. Its size is perfect for slipping into your pocket so you can have it w/you all the time and the super-long battery life just can't be matched. My girlfriend has a Tungsten e2 and its battery life is abysmal by comparison -- probably b/c of the larger, high-res screen. In short, I highly recommend the z22 as an ereader.
Advert
Old 01-21-2006, 03:14 PM   #6
Laurens
Jah Blessed
Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.

Device: iPod Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered
I've had a z22 for about two months and have read about 1500 print-size pages on it. In fact, reading ebooks has become one of my favorite uses for the z22. I, too, thought the screen would be too small or low quality, but not so. Its size is perfect for slipping into your pocket so you can have it w/you all the time and the super-long battery life just can't be matched. My girlfriend has a Tungsten e2 and its battery life is abysmal by comparison -- probably b/c of the larger, high-res screen. In short, I highly recommend the z22 as an ereader.
Good to hear! I've had no problem reading on my 160x160 IIIc and M130 back in the day. Yes, hires looks sharper, but I can honestly say that my reading experience has not improved.
Laurens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2006, 02:52 AM   #7
Jaapjan
Avid reader
Jaapjan doesn't litterJaapjan doesn't litter

Device: HTC Touch Diamond, iLiad Book Edition
Thank you all for the smooth replies. Your opinions and views have been most helpful in recommending the Z22 to said person.
Jaapjan is offline   Reply With Quote