Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 03-04-2009, 06:19 AM   #31
owl123
Addict
owl123 doesn't litterowl123 doesn't litterowl123 doesn't litter

Device: Galaxy Note 3, Galaxy NotePro 12.2, InkBook
The sample files that Amazon's app downloads are .prc. Does that change anything? I tried opening one of them with my iRex device and there's some error. There's no info about wrong PID/activation though.
owl123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 06:24 AM   #32
Gaurnim
Final Five n°42
Gaurnim can teach chickens to fly.Gaurnim can teach chickens to fly.Gaurnim can teach chickens to fly.Gaurnim can teach chickens to fly.Gaurnim can teach chickens to fly.Gaurnim can teach chickens to fly.Gaurnim can teach chickens to fly.Gaurnim can teach chickens to fly.Gaurnim can teach chickens to fly.Gaurnim can teach chickens to fly.Gaurnim can teach chickens to fly.

Device: Cybook Gen3
Quote:
Originally Posted by owl123 View Post
The sample files that Amazon's app downloads are .prc. Does that change anything? I tried opening one of them with my iRex device and there's some error. There's no info about wrong PID/activation though.
When speaking about ebooks, .PRC are MobiPocket ebooks (they can be Palm applications in other contexts).
Iliad and DR are normally able to open MobiPocket files, so I can't say what's wrong.

EDIT : did you try opening them with MobiPocket Reader on your PC or on another device ?
Gaurnim is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-04-2009, 06:35 AM   #33
owl123
Addict

When I use Mobipocket Reader for Windows and try importing the file nothing happens. When I drag and drop the file to Mobipocket's windows there are 2 errors:

1. Error while adding this file to the library
2. File corrupted

I'm not sure where to get the PID from. Any ideas?
Old 03-04-2009, 06:41 AM   #34
mtravellerh
book creator
mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB360°
Quote:
Originally Posted by owl123 View Post
When I use Mobipocket Reader for Windows and try importing the file nothing happens. When I drag and drop the file to Mobipocket's windows there are 2 errors:

1. Error while adding this file to the library
2. File corrupted

I'm not sure where to get the PID from. Any ideas?
Kindle's PID, you mean?
mtravellerh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 06:45 AM   #35
Lemurion
eReader
Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Note 5; PW3; Nook HD+; ChuWi Hi12; iPad
I'm not surprised Amazon's first excursion out of the Kindle store has been to the iTunes store. It lets them keep control, and Amazon seems to be really big about keeping the Kindle ecosystem closed, and going to the iPhone simply moves the walls without lowering them.
Lemurion is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-04-2009, 06:48 AM   #36
owl123
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtravellerh View Post
Kindle's PID, you mean?
Yes. There's no info about PID in the app, nor in the config files.
Old 03-04-2009, 06:50 AM   #37
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
When you buy a book from the Kindle store, it has to be DRM encoded for a specific device. That's why I have severe doubts that you'll be able to buy Kindle books without a Kindle!
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 06:55 AM   #38
owl123
Addict

Well, they're encoded for a specific iPhone/iPod device.

In my Kindle Store's account I can see my iPod Touch with its serial number. It's not PID though.
Old 03-04-2009, 07:00 AM   #39
scotty1024
Banned
scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.

Device: Reader / iPhone / Librie / Kindle
Amazon has tweaked the Mobipocket headers again. The Kindle 2 recognizes content from mobipocket.com and won't open it. That other official mobipocket readers recognize and won't touch Kindle books doesn't surprise me. Calibre has issues with some of the tweaked header mobipocket.com files but can be used to "re-fry" many files so the Kindle will open them.

The Apple readers in your Amazon Kindle Management page can be re-named but don't get an @kindle.com email address. So you can't send content to your Apple Reader from 3rd party stores (or .doc files etc...)

You can however push books you've purchased from Amazon to your Apple Reader.

The subscriptions can't be sent to the Apple Reader, only Kindle's show up in the drop downs for subscriptions.

From an Amazon Kindle purchase page you can select your Apple Reader and send your purchase directly to your Apple Reader.
scotty1024 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 07:11 AM   #40
Barcey
Wizard
Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O / Aura HD / Glo / iPad3
Well they have all but officially declared Mobipocket legacy. Mobipocket's claim to fame has always been the wide number of devices that it supports. It appears that Amazon has stopped them from doing this in favour of this business model where the app can only be used to purchase from Amazon. Mobipocket will die out with the current generation of devices that support it.

They appear to be keeping it active just to bridge the gap until they get the Amazon/Kindle content available to the rest of the world.
Barcey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 07:26 AM   #41
RobbieClarken
Addict
RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Very cool! I've just bought an ebook which was only available from the Kindle store and loaded it to my iPod. It was very easy (I did the trick of registering a US Amazon account and sending it a gift voucher). Would be nice if you could buy books directly from the app but that might come in time. Now I just can't wait until there is a reliable jailbreak for the Touch 2G so I can try and remove the DRM and put the book on my DR1000S.

I think this was an excellent decision by Amazon because many people will try reading on their iPhone and then be seduced into buying a Kindle.
RobbieClarken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 07:59 AM   #42
SpiderMatt
Grand Arbiter
SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPod Touch, Amazon Kindle, Motorola Droid
I'm using iPhoneBrowser with a jailbroken iPod Touch to load all my mobi books into the Kindle app. I already have the books on BookShelf. I hope Amazon puts a little more work into this app sooner rather than later. It can't be turned to landscape, the swiping of the finger to turn pages is clucky and annoying after a while, and there's no dictionary support. It would also be helpful to have a search function and to be able to type in the exact location of the book you'd like to go to. These seem like they would be simple fixes and features you would want in an app titled Kindle. The name kind of raises expectations these days. The app has a long way to go to get to Stanza or eReader standards.

Last edited by SpiderMatt; 03-04-2009 at 08:07 AM.
SpiderMatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 08:06 AM   #43
Gaurnim
Final Five n°42
Gaurnim can teach chickens to fly.Gaurnim can teach chickens to fly.Gaurnim can teach chickens to fly.Gaurnim can teach chickens to fly.Gaurnim can teach chickens to fly.Gaurnim can teach chickens to fly.Gaurnim can teach chickens to fly.Gaurnim can teach chickens to fly.Gaurnim can teach chickens to fly.Gaurnim can teach chickens to fly.Gaurnim can teach chickens to fly.

Device: Cybook Gen3
I'm wondering if there are some iPhone emulators around.
A tiny bit of search gives only NES / MAME emulators for iPhone ...
Gaurnim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 08:46 AM   #44
TallMomof2
Kindlephilia
TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count
I far prefer the eReader app because it has more options but IIRC the first generation eReader app didn't have many options. The Kindle app works and gives me another option for my Kindle books.
TallMomof2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 09:16 AM   #45
bwaldron
Wizard
bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles: Paperwhite Signature Ed., Oasis 2, Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtravellerh View Post
Google for mobidedrm and be advised that removing DRM may be highly illegal where you reside.
Illegal, fine. I don't mind being a criminal in respect to the DMCA by removing DRM from the books I buy. But what the heck is highly illegal?
bwaldron is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
iphone/ipod touch, kindle