Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Bookeen

Notices

Old 10-26-2008, 11:27 AM   #1
megaman
megaman began at the beginning.

Device: cybok
Cybook doesn't search in Oxford dictionaries

Hello all,

I've got a cybook gen 3 updated with the latest firmware. Everything seems to be fine but I have a problem with oxford dictionaries. When I try to search with the link provided at the beginning of the dictionary in order to search for a word, the cybook displays a window that says that such thing is unavailable in the current version (don't know if it refers to the version of firmware or what, it doesn't specify). This way, dictionaries in my cybook are totally useless, for in order to find a word you would have to flip page by page (one by one) or try to guess what the page number that word is located in is and use the "go to..." function. Can anyone tell me what the problem is and how to solve it (if possible)?

Thanks all.
megaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2008, 11:30 AM   #2
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by megaman View Post
Can anyone tell me what the problem is and how to solve it (if possible)?

Thanks all.
I don't think there is a problem. The UI is designed to look up a word from a book you are reading... not really designed to look up as a reference book.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-26-2008, 11:32 AM   #3
Pulp
Palm Addict
Pulp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Gen3 [512mb, FW: 1.5]
This is not the way it works at the moment.

The way it is supposed to work is going into lookup-mode while reading an english book, directly selecting the word you do not know, being served with the translation and then going back to the book

Edit: Eek, to slow
Pulp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2008, 11:33 AM   #4
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Bob is absolutely correct. To look up a word in the book you're reading, press the menu button, select "Lookup" from the menu, highlight the word you want to look up the meaning of, and press <Enter>. The "Search" function of the dictionary itself is not currently supported on the Gen3 (but it works very well on the Windows Desktop Mobi Reader).
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2008, 11:41 AM   #5
megaman

Excuse me, for I have not explained the issue as clearly as it should. I bought the Oxford dictionary of chemistry, in which you can find from A to Z definitions with drawings and such (sort of like an encyclopedia). Let's say that I wanted to find the word "reduction" for instance to see the description, examples, drawings,etc. The only thing I can do is flip page by page until I get to such word entry, which is extremely time wasting, since the dictionary is very large. This is why this Oxford dictionary of chemistry has an index page with three entries:

1) Look up a word or term
2) Look up an abbreviation
3) Look up a person

Whichever I choose I get a "Indexes not supported in this version" window from my cybook in response. This way, the dictionary is 100% USELESS, since there's no practical way to browse in order to find the words you need! Am I right?

Thanks.
Advert
Old 10-26-2008, 11:47 AM   #6
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

That is correct.

The Gen3 only allows you to look up the dictionary definition of a word in the book that you're currently reading. It does not allow you to do a search in the dictionary itself.

ie if you had a book with the word "reduction" in it, you could look up the definition of that word in your dictionary. What you can't (currently) do is search for the word "reduction" in the dictionary itself.

One word-around (read "horrible hack") would be to create a text file containing all the terms in the dictionary, and then do a "lookup" from that.
Old 10-26-2008, 11:55 AM   #7
megaman

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
That is correct.

The Gen3 only allows you to look up the dictionary definition of a word in the book that you're currently reading. It does not allow you to do a search in the dictionary itself.

ie if you had a book with the word "reduction" in it, you could look up the definition of that word in your dictionary. What you can't (currently) do is search for the word "reduction" in the dictionary itself.

One word-around (read "horrible hack") would be to create a text file containing all the terms in the dictionary, and then do a "lookup" from that.
I have just tried that and that doesn't work anyway. Maybe it is because the Oxford English language (and not the chemistry one) dictionary that came with my cybook (only letter L) is set by default for the "look up" function or something like that. Can that be changed at least to made it work with the chemistry dictionary?
Old 10-26-2008, 12:00 PM   #8
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

It sounds as if the chemistry dictionary isn't being recognised by Mobi as a "dictionary" - ie something to do lookups in. It should work fine having multiple dictionaries installed. Do you have it installed in the "eBooks" folder? Dictionaries don't work if you put them in a sub-folder.
Old 10-26-2008, 12:05 PM   #9
megaman

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
It sounds as if the chemistry dictionary isn't being recognised by Mobi as a "dictionary" - ie something to do lookups in. It should work fine having multiple dictionaries installed. Do you have it installed in the "eBooks" folder? Dictionaries don't work if you put them in a sub-folder.
Yeah, I put it in the eBooks folder. I don't know if this is what you meant by "installed"... I just put it there as I put any other book --> i.e. copy&paste
Old 10-26-2008, 12:08 PM   #10
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

That's all you should have to do.

I'm out of ideas, I'm afraid. All I can suggest is that you contain Bookeen and ask their advice. In the mean time, you can do searches on the Windows Desktop version of the MobiPocket Reader (if you're a Windows user).
Old 10-26-2008, 12:38 PM   #11
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by megaman View Post
When I try to search with the link provided at the beginning of the dictionary in order to search for a word, the cybook displays a window that says that such thing is unavailable in the current version
If mobipocket.com was up I could point you to the page listing the differences between their original reader and their Java-based reader. The latter is the basis for the Cybook software and is significantly less capable, particularly in features that could be used in reference works. So, if a reference work takes advantage of advanced MOBI features it probably does not work on EInk devices with MOBI or on Blackberrys. There is one feature that is part of the Java reference software, but is not implemented on some EInk devices. If I remember right it is to do with indexing, and I think this may be exactly what you are experiencing.

The bottom line is that if you bought the ebooks for your Cybook, then the seller should refund your money.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2008, 02:14 PM   #12
Pulp
Palm Addict
Pulp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Gen3 [512mb, FW: 1.5]
Also you have to make sure that the text-document you use to "lookup" the words has the same language defined as the dictionary. If the dictionaries propertie-dialog says language "en-en" you have to make sure the index-document is set to "en" aswell during creation - you cannot change the language in the windows-reader later on, cybook will ignore such changes.
Pulp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2008, 10:23 AM   #13
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by wallcraft View Post
If mobipocket.com was up I could point you to the page listing the differences between their original reader and their Java-based reader.
See Cross-platform feature support. Note the lack of "Indexing features" and "Programming" in the Java version.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2008, 02:00 PM   #14
GeoffC
Chocolate Grasshopper ...
GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Muse HD , Cybook Gen3 , Pocketbook 302 (Black) , Nexus 10: wife has PW
Have you tried searching in Cambridge ....
GeoffC is offline   Reply With Quote