Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 04-05-2008, 02:25 PM   #31
Timoleon
Time Enough at Last
Timoleon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timoleon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timoleon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timoleon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timoleon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timoleon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timoleon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timoleon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timoleon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timoleon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timoleon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad 3, iPhone 5, Kindle 3, Fire, Sony PRS-350
Will the electrowetting displays be out before colored eInk displays make an appearance to the general public? I agree that reading in black and white, or shades of gray, is easiest on the eyes and least obtrusive, but it would be *great* to be able to highlight and annotate text in color. Also, color illustrations would be great...
Timoleon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2008, 02:46 PM   #32
Alisa
Gadget Geek
Alisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongue

Device: Paperwhite, Kindle 3 (retired), Skindle 1.2 (retired)
I think a larger, color screen could be a great lift to the industry because that would open it up for not only things like textbooks but also magazines. These are two markets that could put readers in every home if the price was right. Imagine if they were responsive enough to make a good lightweight tablet PC with great battery life and the readability of electronic ink. People in so many industries would have them. If they already have the hardware, ebooks and other publications become way more attractive.
Alisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-05-2008, 03:47 PM   #33
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
Do we have any estimation of the power consumption of these electrowetting displays? I didn't see anything in the quick look I gave it, but it was a quick look and I was looking for the "how it works" details at the time.

We seem to be assuming that these have low power consumption similar to e-ink, and I'm wondering what foundation we have for the assumption.
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2008, 03:51 PM   #34
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
Ah, yes, I see it now: http://www.liquavista.com/benefits/power.asp
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2008, 03:47 AM   #35
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
I do note, however, that it says:

Quote:
Because the displays are so significantly brighter than competing techniques, they require less supplimentary illumination.
(emphasis mine). This is clearly a "light emitting" technology which requires lighting, albeit less lighting than an LCD screen. It's not a "zero power" static image technology such as eInk.

Reading the site, the impression I get is that this is technology aimed at applications like TV, mobile phones, etc. I'm not at all sure it would be good for a book reader because it is a "backlit" technology like LCD.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-06-2008, 07:49 AM   #36
zelda_pinwheel
zeldinha zippy zeldissima
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: eb1150 & is that a nook in her pocket, or she just happy to see you?
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
This is clearly a "light emitting" technology which requires lighting, albeit less lighting than an LCD screen. It's not a "zero power" static image technology such as eInk.

Reading the site, the impression I get is that this is technology aimed at applications like TV, mobile phones, etc. I'm not at all sure it would be good for a book reader because it is a "backlit" technology like LCD.
or, alternatively, it will not be good for everyone who likes e-ink and the comfort of non-backlit screens, however all the eb1150 / pda / computer users screaming for new backlit devices are going to be overjoyed... i just hope ETI doesn't go in this direction *instead* of e-ink for their new model. *as well as* e-ink would be fine with me.
zelda_pinwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2008, 04:25 PM   #37
MaggieScratch
Has got to the black veil
MaggieScratch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MaggieScratch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MaggieScratch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MaggieScratch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MaggieScratch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MaggieScratch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MaggieScratch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MaggieScratch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MaggieScratch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MaggieScratch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MaggieScratch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One, Kindle Paperwhite 2
That was my thinking when I expressed concern earlier in the thread. Will it be backlit? Will it be constantly refreshing like a computer screen? Will it be as comfortable to read as eInk? I'm pretty agnostic on the technology, anything that will work well is okay with me. I'm more concerned with the results.
MaggieScratch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2008, 06:25 AM   #38
axel77
Fanatic
axel77 has learned how to read e-booksaxel77 has learned how to read e-booksaxel77 has learned how to read e-booksaxel77 has learned how to read e-booksaxel77 has learned how to read e-booksaxel77 has learned how to read e-booksaxel77 has learned how to read e-booksaxel77 has learned how to read e-books

Device: iliad
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Ohh disappointment, well then IMHO it disqualifies as e-book technology as contestant to e-Ink. I want *passive* displays. (and yes a passive TV-sized display would IMHO be the uber-thing. I first thought one day this could replace projectors... especially out-door projecters. But beeing a classic backlight tech... oh nothing extraordinary to me
axel77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2008, 01:30 PM   #39
bgalbrecht
Wizard
bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch, Kobo Glo HD, Kobo Clara HD, Kindle 4
From one of the Liquavista webpages:

Quote:
Liquavista’s application of electrowetting pixel designs have no intrinsic limitations on viewing angle, and do not require any form of polarisation. As a result, even in purely reflective mode, our displays provide excellent performance under almost all usage cases. Whilst in high ambient light environments, they perform as vividly as high quality, colour print would.
It sounds to me like the backlighting is only so that it will be still usable in low light situations.

I'd like to know if the screens can be flexible. I'm sure it's too much to hope for, but I'd like my ebook reader to be the size of a fat pen, with a screen that unrolls (or unfolds) to the size of a paperback or maybe even hardback.
bgalbrecht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2008, 03:02 PM   #40
nekokami
fruminous edugeek
nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, eBw 1150
Quote:
Originally Posted by bgalbrecht View Post
I'd like to know if the screens can be flexible. I'm sure it's too much to hope for, but I'd like my ebook reader to be the size of a fat pen, with a screen that unrolls (or unfolds) to the size of a paperback or maybe even hardback.
I'd settle for something the thickness of a rolled-up newspaper that could be pulled out to magazine size.

(This from another techie in an unlit office -- though to be fair, I have a nice large window and get plenty of daylight. )
nekokami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2008, 05:37 PM   #41
axel77
Fanatic
axel77 has learned how to read e-booksaxel77 has learned how to read e-booksaxel77 has learned how to read e-booksaxel77 has learned how to read e-booksaxel77 has learned how to read e-booksaxel77 has learned how to read e-booksaxel77 has learned how to read e-booksaxel77 has learned how to read e-books

Funny how this unroll stuff becomes to be hipe.

I'd be happy with a reader device i can *OPEN* just like a book. DIN A5 in closed format, DIN A4 in open. I'd also would protect the screen much better if closed... much like the notebook screen is inside of it when transported..
Old 04-07-2008, 05:54 PM   #42
Alisa
Gadget Geek
Alisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongue

Device: Paperwhite, Kindle 3 (retired), Skindle 1.2 (retired)
Quote:
Originally Posted by axel77 View Post
I'd be happy with a reader device i can *OPEN* just like a book. DIN A5 in closed format, DIN A4 in open. I'd also would protect the screen much better if closed... much like the notebook screen is inside of it when transported..
That sounds ideal, especially if you could hold it in landscape orientation and have it display two pages side-by-side for a novel or hold it in portrait orientation and have it display a full A4 page. If it were thin and light enough, it would still be quite portable.
Alisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2008, 06:25 PM   #43
zelda_pinwheel
zeldinha zippy zeldissima
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: eb1150 & is that a nook in her pocket, or she just happy to see you?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alisa View Post
That sounds ideal, especially if you could hold it in landscape orientation and have it display two pages side-by-side for a novel or hold it in portrait orientation and have it display a full A4 page. If it were thin and light enough, it would still be quite portable.
...and as long as you could also fold it in half with the screen on the outside, and use only one surface, like the small tablet style we have now, for times when you can use only one hand, or a smaller form is more convenient, or whatever... if that's not the case, i'm not sure i would want either the scroll format or the book format. well, except for the fact that both would be really stylie gadgets.
zelda_pinwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2008, 03:02 AM   #44
m-reader
Guru
m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!

Device: Sony PRS-300. PRS-650, PRS-900, iPad2, Iconia A500, Irex Iliad (sold)
Quote:
Originally Posted by brecklundin View Post
Is it just me or does "Electrowetting" sound, well, a tad, ummm...naughty?
You're not alone. I personally can't say Electrowetting without chuckling.

I don't think the marketing department thought this one through

Then again, I chuckle when someone says "buns"
m-reader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2008, 06:58 AM   #45
axel77
Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by zelda_pinwheel View Post
...and as long as you could also fold it in half with the screen on the outside, and use only one surface, like the small tablet style we have now, for times when you can use only one hand, or a smaller form is more convenient, or whatever... if that's not the case, i'm not sure i would want either the scroll format or the book format. well, except for the fact that both would be really stylie gadgets.
Cool idea, when do we start our company?

Tags
color display, e-paper, electrowetting, liquavista