Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 05-24-2013, 06:37 PM   #16
vxf
Guru
vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS 350, 900, 950; Kindles (ALL of them!); Kobo Aura One
What Harry said. iPad. If you want to save, get an older model/less storage, no 3g or 4g.
vxf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 10:27 PM   #17
socgsi
socgsi began at the beginning.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rbneader View Post
I don't think there are many eInk devices that work well for PDF annotation. Have you looked at cheap Android tablets? The B&N 9-in tablet or the Google Nexus 10 both have nice screens and are cheap. There's always tons of Android tablets on the market, so you should be able to find something in your price range.
thanks, Rbneader. I already have a PC tablet and the screen tires my eyes after a couple hours of use. I'm looking for something just like it but with e-ink in hopes to solve that problem. It seems like ones available to meet my needs are either not very good or out of a student's price range.

Any other suggestions greatly appreciated!
socgsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-29-2013, 01:07 PM   #18
Jmirko
Recovered collector
Jmirko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jmirko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jmirko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jmirko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jmirko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jmirko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jmirko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jmirko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jmirko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jmirko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jmirko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: see signature
A question to those recommending the Ipad for annotating pdf-s: can you please explain how this can be done, without the wacom digitiser component to recognise a fine-tip styus, and without the hand-rejection function that prevents unwanted marks on the screen while you are writing on it?
Several colleagues of mine experimented with various apps on their Ipads, but in the end all of them gave up because the writing was slow and unnatural.

When it comes to LCD tablets, my vote goes for the Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1 (Android). Some of the Windows 8 tablets also have true support for handwriting. Older devices (such as the 1st-gen Lenovo Thinkpad Tablet) may be a budget option. "Wacom" and "N-Trig" are the keywords to look for.

E-ink readers are less versatile and usually slower, but they are widely accepted to be less tiring for the eyes, as well as having longer battery life. In this category I would recommend to have a look at the Onyx Boox M92 (alias Icarus Excel) and the Pocketbook 903 and 912. The Irex DR1000 could also be a good choice, but it's out of production and very hard to find.

Last edited by Jmirko; 05-29-2013 at 01:18 PM.
Jmirko is offline   Reply With Quote