Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 09-28-2016, 07:24 PM   #1
DanMurray
DanMurray began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Need help after a jailbreak attempt.

I have a Kindle PW 2, 6th gen, and I can't update it anymore.

I've downgraded it to the version 5.4.3.2, and I jailbroke it, but it won't let me update it to the latest version. The update file is in the device's root directory, but the update button is blanked out. I followed this tutorial step by step, but I'm now facing this problem.

I've tried resetting it a few times, but I just can't update my kindle anymore.

I'd be glad if someone could help me out of this.
Thank you in advance.

Last edited by DanMurray; 09-28-2016 at 10:24 PM.
DanMurray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2016, 07:06 PM   #2
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
I followed this tutorial step by step, but I'm now facing this problem.
**WHICH** tutorial? Link please, because we have more than one.

Quote:
it won't let me update it to the latest version
Standard questions in that case (durn, I need an electronic rubber stamp):
First six characters of your device's serial number.
Link to the update you are trying to use.

Quote:
I've tried resetting it a few times
PEBCAK - you probably need to start over - but answer the questions first so we can help you avoid whatever you did wrong the first time.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-30-2016, 11:12 AM   #3
DanMurray

This one: http://lifehacker.com/how-to-jailbre...dle-1783864074

The first 6 are 9017 22, I tried using the Paperwhite 6th gen version 8.4.3.2 from the Amazon website:
https://s3.amazonaws.com/kindledownl...5660001.tar.gz
I also tried the 7th gen version, since I wasn't sure what my Kindle had:

After I wrote the thread, I reset my kindle once more, which brought it to the downgraded version, connected it to the wifi and left it there. After some time, I could press the Update your Kindle button, and it upgraded it to a 5.6 version. I did it once more and it got the latest one. It has no jailbreak but I'll definitely try again when I have some better guidance.

Thank you for your help!
Old 09-30-2016, 11:20 AM   #4
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.
Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K4, K5, fire, kobo, galaxy
Try this link. Read all instructions and spoilers.
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=275877
Cinisajoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2016, 12:59 PM   #5
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanMurray View Post
This one: http://lifehacker.com/how-to-jailbre...dle-1783864074
That one has the procedure mostly correct, but some significant typo'd directory names that would keep it from working.
Quote:
The first 6 are 9017 22, I tried using the Paperwhite 6th gen version 8.4.3.2 from the Amazon website:
I also tried the 7th gen version, since I wasn't sure what my Kindle had:
And that was the cause of your failure.
Those are both source code packages, not installable image update files.
Quote:
After I wrote the thread, I reset my kindle once more, which brought it to the downgraded version, connected it to the wifi and left it there. After some time, I could press the Update your Kindle button, and it upgraded it to a 5.6 version. I did it once more and it got the latest one. It has no jailbreak but I'll definitely try again when I have some better guidance.

Thank you for your help!
That is correct, that sequence of actions would have removed the jailbreak and its 'survival files'.

Now, just read carefully, including the spoilers, this post:
Then read and follow it carefully, no short-cuts, nothing invented on your own, no mixing with off-site info (which is usually an abstract of the original linked to above).

Keep in mind while reading this site that you have what we call a: PW-2
Forget the 'generation' stuff, that is marketing terminology that we do not use here.

Last edited by knc1; 09-30-2016 at 01:01 PM.
Advert
Old 09-30-2016, 06:47 PM   #6
DanMurray

Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post
Now, just read carefully, including the spoilers, this post:
Then read and follow it carefully, no short-cuts, nothing invented on your own, no mixing with off-site info (which is usually an abstract of the original linked to above).

Keep in mind while reading this site that you have what we call a: PW-2
Forget the 'generation' stuff, that is marketing terminology that we do not use here.
Thank you so much! I'll try it right now!
Old 09-30-2016, 08:17 PM   #7
DanMurray

So, I followed all of the instructions and got it jailbroken. What do I do now to update the device?

Last edited by DanMurray; 09-30-2016 at 08:41 PM.
Old 09-30-2016, 08:42 PM   #8
knc1
Going Viral

Wrong order -
Update the Kindle and then install the add-ins.
Every add-in includes directions, if you have a problem, post it that add-in's own thread.

Note:
"Hack" is a four letter word.
Old 09-30-2016, 08:49 PM   #9
DanMurray

Alright then, I'm uninstalling the add-ins I got, as they conveniently came with uninstall bins... How do I update it? Do I just leave it with the wifi enabled?
Old 09-30-2016, 09:06 PM   #10
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
Alright then, I'm uninstalling the add-ins I got, as they conveniently came with uninstall bins... How do I update it? Do I just leave it with the wifi enabled?
You do not have to un-install anything.

I thought I covered updating in Step #7.

If you want the current firmware, then just put it on-line and wait.
OR
From your Amazon account page for that device, navigate to the firmware update page and follow Amazon's directions.
Old 09-30-2016, 09:11 PM   #11
DanMurray

I put the Kindle online now so that it'll get the latest firmware. After that, I'll install the add-ins. Did I miss anything?
Old 09-30-2016, 09:15 PM   #12
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
I put the Kindle online now so that it'll get the latest firmware. After that, I'll install the add-ins. Did I miss anything?
Sounds good.
Old 09-30-2016, 09:28 PM   #13
DanMurray

Well then, I guess that's that.
I don't know what I would've done without some help.. Thank you for everything!

Tags
jailbreak, kindle paperwhite 2, update problems