Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 08-20-2012, 05:02 PM   #1
SuburbanSteve
Enthusiast
SuburbanSteve is the One.SuburbanSteve is the One.SuburbanSteve is the One.SuburbanSteve is the One.SuburbanSteve is the One.SuburbanSteve is the One.SuburbanSteve is the One.SuburbanSteve is the One.SuburbanSteve is the One.SuburbanSteve is the One.SuburbanSteve is the One.

Device: Kindel Touch, Xoom 2
Telephone box library

Saw this while I was surfing and thought it was such a good idea for keeping and using the iconic British phone box, after googleing I noticed that a few countries were doing the same thing, hopefully it will catch on.

SuburbanSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 05:45 PM   #2
carpetmojo
Wizard
carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony- T3, PRS650, 350, T1/2/3, Paperwhite, Fire 8.9,Samsung Tab S 10.5
'Till the shelves get cleared one Saturday night after the pubs close .....
carpetmojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-20-2012, 06:16 PM   #3
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuburbanSteve View Post
Looks a bit cramped. They should use Police Boxes - they're much bigger on the inside.

tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 10:01 AM   #4
Rich_D
Fanatic
Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Android phone, Kobo Glo HD, nook ST with Glo (backup)
There's a small movement trending across the US called "Little Free Library". People are putting up small boxes in their yards or other public places with the idea of take-a-book, leave-a-book.

There have been several news articles about it recently.

http://www.littlefreelibrary.org/
http://www.usatoday.com/news/nation/...oks/53260328/1
http://www.post-gazette.com/stories/...square-646153/
Rich_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 10:07 AM   #5
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich_D View Post
There's a small movement trending across the US called "Little Free Library". People are putting up small boxes in their yards or other public places with the idea of take-a-book, leave-a-book.

There have been several news articles about it recently.

http://www.littlefreelibrary.org/
http://www.usatoday.com/news/nation/...oks/53260328/1
http://www.post-gazette.com/stories/...square-646153/
Have there been any problems with theft or vandalism?
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-21-2012, 10:19 AM   #6
steven522
binomial: homo legentem
steven522 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.steven522 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.steven522 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.steven522 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.steven522 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.steven522 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.steven522 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.steven522 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.steven522 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.steven522 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.steven522 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iriver Story HD; Archos 80 G9
Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
From personal experience of attempting to support local libraries during their "friends" book sales and finding out out that there were no good books left after local used book store owners cleaned them out in order to resell the 25 and 50 cent purchases at their own stores for much more, I would think these would be pretty much emptied out as fast as someone tried to leave something for others in my area.
steven522 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 10:21 AM   #7
Rich_D
Fanatic
Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
Well, theft isn't an issue because you are essentially putting the books out there for people to take.

According to the website, they've had 1 incident of vandalism in the past year.
Old 08-21-2012, 10:45 AM   #8
steven522
binomial: homo legentem
steven522 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.steven522 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.steven522 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.steven522 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.steven522 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.steven522 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.steven522 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.steven522 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.steven522 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.steven522 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.steven522 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iriver Story HD; Archos 80 G9
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich_D View Post
Well, theft isn't an issue because you are essentially putting the books out there for people to take.
If the idea is "leave one, take one", does everyone who "takes" also "leave"?
steven522 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 12:47 PM   #9
Rich_D
Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by steven522 View Post
I have no personal experience with these. All I can say is if you are interested, click the links.

Follow up quote from the PG article

"The couple placed the library -- a waterproof wooden house set atop a post, complete with a red roof, glass door and two shelves with about 25 books inside -- outside their home in early June.

Then they watched as dog walkers, stroller pushers, runners, bike riders and even people in cars discovered the box. A month and a half later, the original books are gone, and the library has been getting a regular rotation of new reads."
Old 08-22-2012, 05:57 PM   #10
SuburbanSteve
Enthusiast
SuburbanSteve is the One.SuburbanSteve is the One.SuburbanSteve is the One.SuburbanSteve is the One.SuburbanSteve is the One.SuburbanSteve is the One.SuburbanSteve is the One.SuburbanSteve is the One.SuburbanSteve is the One.SuburbanSteve is the One.SuburbanSteve is the One.

Device: Kindel Touch, Xoom 2
Now our local library has closed some of the larger supermarkets and stores have made available a small area near the checkouts where you can leave, take or exchange books and judging by the amount and variety it seems to be working well

SuburbanSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 06:49 PM   #11
ebusinesstutor
Star Gawker
ebusinesstutor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ebusinesstutor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ebusinesstutor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ebusinesstutor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ebusinesstutor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ebusinesstutor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ebusinesstutor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ebusinesstutor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ebusinesstutor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ebusinesstutor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ebusinesstutor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
A local coffee shop does this. A shelf where you can take or leave a book. No idea how popular it is.
ebusinesstutor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 09:52 PM   #12
Synamon
Lunatic
Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite and Keyboard, Kobo Aura, iPad mini, iPod Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by steven522 View Post
There were a couple of book exchanges I used to use, over a 10 year period there were always plenty of books there, so at least some people were leaving them (and I used to leave more books than I took).
Synamon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 12:23 AM   #13
Fluribus
Guru
Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
My cane broke. I fell down and smashed my mobile phone. As I sank into delirium I saw my salvation...a telephone box. I crawled for three blocks. I opened the door. I looked up to see a massive hardcover dropping onto my head. When I woke up I found a note beside me. "Wanted to help but couldn't find anywhere to change. Regards. C. Kent."

It is interesting to see one piece of technology being replaced by an even older one.
Fluribus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 06:57 AM   #14
MikeB1972
Gnu
MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: BeBook,JetBook Lite,PRS-300-350-505-650,+ran out of space to type
A lot of pubs used to do this in the UK, not so many now.
MikeB1972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 11:43 AM   #15
sadievan
Wizard
sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2, iPhone, Kindle Fire HD 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fluribus View Post
My cane broke. I fell down and smashed my mobile phone. As I sank into delirium I saw my salvation...a telephone box. I crawled for three blocks. I opened the door. I looked up to see a massive hardcover dropping onto my head. When I woke up I found a note beside me. "Wanted to help but couldn't find anywhere to change. Regards. C. Kent."
I was just thinking, Oh, No, where will Superman go.

Great minds and all. LOL I guess we're giving away our age.

Carol
sadievan is offline   Reply With Quote